[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4685: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3836)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4687: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3836)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3836)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4689: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3836)
Pirates Of Archery • View topic - Observations.....

Skip to content

Observations.....

This is a general discussion forum where any archery related topics are welcome.

Observations.....

Postby Yohon » Thu Aug 01, 2019 2:40 pm

After being at Baltimore for a few years now and getting to attend ETAR for the first time I thought it was interesting seeing how much shooting has grown/changed. I felt like an odd ball at my 1st Baltimore shoot holding "forever" and shooting thru a clicker...fast forward a few years and there are alot of guys using all matters of clickers of some sort and taking there time and shooting good shots with great form. The internet has helped a ton of shooters become better shots AND it has brought a PILE of people to the single string bow shooting.

I have also been impressed with how many young kids I've seen flinging arrows....ETAR was especially entertaining to see....there were some kids with better form than most adults!!!!

Someone in another thread on here mentioned the DAS war......I'm gonna stretch my neck out and say that's about over with from what I've seen.....TITANS were everywhere at ETAR and the LAS boys were swamped......rumor of a new 19" Titan next year should be interesting......

I got to man the PBS booth and talk hunting with a bunch of different guys and being an admitted bow hunting junkie there are alot more bow shooters than bow hunters out there but it was great to meet a few young guys that signed up that are ate up with it all. Quality over quantity I suppose. Good to see too cause kinda concerning to me that alot of these PBS guys are getting old like me LOL

Anyway, throw that all out there for no other reason to shoot the shoot the shit with you guys and pass some time till September 1 rolls around and I can bloody this Whippenstick and Titan 8-)
Welcome to the USSA
Yohon

Re: Observations.....

Postby Jim Casto Jr » Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:38 pm

I'm glad to hear about the youngsters attending the shoot. I've been concerned that not many have been interested.

I've had a blast this summer with my 8 year old grandson. He's really getting in to it. I started him on an old fiberglass bow I've had since I was a kid. I did have to grind a shelf of the off side since he's a lefty. Just bought him a 17" wood riser and he's really proud of it. :)

Wallpaper.jpg
Wallpaper.jpg (203.43 KiB) Viewed 589 times
"Archery is really very simple. You just have to do the exact same thing on every shot"

"Form is everything."
Jim Casto Jr

Postby Jim Casto Jr » Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:42 pm

Oh... and the 7 year old granddaughter is getting interested too. :) She asked if she could have a new bow like William's. Of course, Sophia has a new one ordered too. :D

Share.jpg
Share.jpg (325.44 KiB) Viewed 589 times
"Archery is really very simple. You just have to do the exact same thing on every shot"

"Form is everything."
Jim Casto Jr

Postby PAarcher » Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:16 pm

Yohon, I've been noticing much the same thing the past several years at ETAR. All of the various Podcasts, youtube channels and such have made traditional archery "cool". Combine that with the emergence of back-country hunting athlete celebrities, and the Trad side is seeing a bit of growth. I think it's awesome!
You are definitely right about the Titan/DAS thing. I'm sure there were a few DAS bows floating around but I never saw one. Titans however, are EVERYWHERE!
PAarcher

Postby jeffhalfrack » Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:29 pm

Dam it! The first time I DON'T go to Denton hill and all you guys go wtf! I camp on a private spot about 3 miles away ,,,loaded with Brook trout ,,,fried taters fried eggs fried brookies,,,,,back on my diet Monday :oops: jeffw
jeffhalfrack

Postby Yohon » Fri Aug 02, 2019 5:21 am

Good to see Jim....you can tell that young man is listening to a good coach ;)

Jeff, that sounds pretty sweet! Demmer and Wert were spending most of their free time fly fishing and did fairly well if you can believe em :lol:
Welcome to the USSA
Yohon

Postby Stykshooter » Sat Aug 03, 2019 12:45 pm

Well, none of my kids had a chance. They all started shooting a bow at about four. Working on the next generation now. All three of my grand daughters have been out shooting with me and the oldest is about to bust with excitement. Mel got a new compound today...
Mel & bow 1.jpg
Mel & bow 1.jpg (206.98 KiB) Viewed 564 times

Mel & bow 2.jpg
Mel & bow 2.jpg (228.87 KiB) Viewed 564 times
You can tell a lot about a woman's mood just by her hands. If they are holding a gun, she's probably angry.
Stykshooter

Postby PAarcher » Sun Aug 04, 2019 5:11 am

Gotta love it!!
PAarcher

Postby Hank » Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:45 pm

Actually, I went back to the style I started with back in the 80's, cant the bow, heal it, draw deep and strong and make that arrow go right where I want. Of course now with less weight (not over bowed) and pay a little more attention to some of the details then I did back then, just feels strong and natural.

Hill style bows, B50 strings, wood arrows and 125gn Ace Heads. I think the deer feel sorry for me shooting the style I do with the equipment I use and just die in sight :D
a genetically modified by aliens life form, known as Hank
Hank

Postby Yohon » Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:22 am

Probably has a lot to do with how quiet that rig is Hank.....deer doesnt even know its been shot ;)
Welcome to the USSA
Yohon

Next

Return to Board index

Return to Everything archery