Skip to content

I'm a DAM engineer!!

This is a general discussion forum where any archery related topics are welcome.

I'm a DAM engineer!!

Postby Stykshooter » Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:36 am

Back when I first got into serious bow hunting in the late 70's, early 80's, there was an old pond up on Fort Lewis mountain that I used to hunt around. It had huge white oak trees around it and I always saw deer and bear when hunting around it. It was near an old time home place and was about 100 feet long and 25 feet wide and was fed by two springs. Maybe 3 feet deep. It was one of my favorite hunting spots. In the early 90's we had one of the hurricanes come through with days of heavy rains and it washed out a spot in the dam. After that, the hunting never seemed to be nearly as good in that section of the mountain. I have often thought about that spot over the last 25 years and what a shame that the pond was gone and it was just a big mud flat now. I walked in there last week and had an idea....

I was up on the mountain at 6:30 this morning trying to beat the heat and bugs. Didn't work for either. I dug up and carried about 25 -30 watermelon sized rocks and stacked them in the breach where a little creek has been running for the last couple decades. The breach was about four feet wide and four feet deep. Then I shoveled about two pick up trucks of nasty mud from the edge of the pond into it. Shovel a foot of mud and then stomp in down and into place. Repeat until the breach was filled. I left a little "V" on the side for over flow to run. It will probably take it a couple of weeks to completely fill up from the springs, but I definitely plan on hanging a stand on the side of the pond again this fall!.

And yes, I do know that it is 96 degrees outside today.....

My dam repair....
dam 4.JPG
dam 4.JPG (146.28 KiB) Viewed 485 times
You can tell a lot about a woman's mood just by her hands. If they are holding a gun, she's probably angry.
Stykshooter

Re: I'm a DAM engineer!!

Postby Yohon » Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:01 pm

DAM fine work there sir.......I know your pretty DAM tough just not to DAM smart to be doing that in 96 degree heat....but if ya waited a week or two I coulda given you a DAM hand with that DAM........ :D :D :D .......been outside working in the Christmas trees.......Im a little DAMN loopy myself....... :shock:
Welcome to the USSA
Yohon

Postby superkodiak38 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:05 pm

Dam, just dam ;)
When you take your kid hunting and he says thank you and tells you how much he loves being in the woods with you, your day just isn't going to get any better than that.
superkodiak38

Postby Lee Vivian » Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:56 pm

Dam impressive, Randy!
Too many freaks, not enough circuses....
Lee Vivian

Postby lostaro » Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:17 pm

Did you get the proper DAM permits for that....can't build a DAM without a DAM permit.
"My goal in life is to try NOT to screw up so bad that they name the screw up after me..."
"Nothing better than a campfire, cold beer and piles of dangerously undercooked meat..."
lostaro

Postby jeffhalfrack » Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:17 pm

Dammit!,! :lol: jeffw
jeffhalfrack

Postby Stykshooter » Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:18 am

DAM permits? Don't need no DAM permits! Ain't DAM construction, its DAM repair!
You can tell a lot about a woman's mood just by her hands. If they are holding a gun, she's probably angry.
Stykshooter

Postby lostaro » Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:12 pm

Ignorance of the DAM Code is not a viable defense....

.....man...I probably say that for real a dozen times per week :?
"My goal in life is to try NOT to screw up so bad that they name the screw up after me..."
"Nothing better than a campfire, cold beer and piles of dangerously undercooked meat..."
lostaro

Postby Fuzzy Dog » Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:45 pm

Lostaro is right, so go with with time honored SODDI defense if you need one.
"Now I'm generally a mild mannered, live and let live kind of guy, but any fucking snake that gets between me and my coffee pot is just buckin' to be a hat band." The Topcamp Chronicles.

Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.
Fuzzy Dog

Postby Stykshooter » Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:52 pm

Checked back in on the pond and it is filling up nicely. A couple of weeks ago it was just hard, black packed.... "stuff". Looked like black plastic had been laid down. I guess sediment from decades had then been drying in the sun for 20 years. I was really surprised to see all of the grasses that have sprouted up and are growing in the pond and there are already frogs up in there. If That thing continues to fill up, gonna be a great spot for this coming fall.

pond.JPG
pond.JPG (193.46 KiB) Viewed 295 times
Stykshooter

Next

Return to Board index

Return to Everything archery