Skip to content

Ironmind ?

This is a general discussion forum where any archery related topics are welcome.

Ironmind ?

Postby superkodiak38 » Sun Apr 16, 2017 7:02 pm

So, I know a few Pirates have had some expereince with Joel Turner. I did a search and think that Jim, Marc and possibly Yohon ? Have either talked to or shot with Joel. He offers an online course and I was wondering if anyone has done it and what they thought about it ? A little review maybe ? 200 bucks for an online course sounds steep versus shooting in a clinic with some hands on but the material is yours and you have access to the course so you can review things. Just wondering what anyone that has gone to a clinic or more specifically taken it online thought about it ? thanks !
When you take your kid hunting and he says thank you and tells you how much he loves being in the woods with you, your day just isn't going to get any better than that.
superkodiak38

Re: Ironmind ?

Postby Stykshooter » Sun Apr 16, 2017 7:38 pm

I sat through his two hour seminar and also purchased his ironmind archery video. I thoroughly enjoyed myself and he definitely offers some insight and different points of view. He applies some of the principals that we teach in precision rifle schools to archery and I think does a very good job of passing his technique on.

I have gotten the chance to talk with him several times and talked at length at the PBS banquet in Florida. He's a good guy, but I don't know that I would drop $200.00 on an on line course.

Have you watched his video? If not, I can send it up to you and you can bring it back to Baltimore if you'd like to see it.
You can tell a lot about a woman's mood just by her hands. If they are holding a gun, she's probably angry.
Stykshooter

Postby Jim Casto Jr » Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:09 pm

The basic differences, I gather, from Joel and Jenkins/Cardinale is focus. Jenkins and Cardinale teach to learn the shot sequence so it becomes automatic and can run itself at the subconscious level and immerse (focus) in aiming until the shot goes off, then follow thru to a conclusion.

Joel Turner, I gather, teaches to immerse in the shot sequence(process of the shot) and aim at the subconscious level, reach a non-anticipatory trigger, release and follow thru to conclusion.

His system helped me a lot, but to save my rear-end, I can't keep from anticipating the trigger. It's become obvious to me, that we're all wired differently and I'm apparently wired to perform better with the Jenkins/Cardinale system, but there can be no doubt Turner has helped hundreds, maybe even thousands of archers with his system.
"Archery is really very simple. You just have to do the exact same thing on every shot"
Bill Leslie, July 22, 2017

"Form is everything."
Al Cole, June 7, 2008
Jim Casto Jr

Postby superkodiak38 » Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:48 pm

Thank you both for your replies, Randy I have not seen the video and would apprecaite you loaning it to me until Baltimore. I'll email you my address !

Jim, I agree about the wiring. I can't shake certain things. I shot with Bob Crane at the BBTC a few years ago he and Tom Lagatol are friends and shoot together. He told me about his shot sequence and I adopted a fair bit of mine from him. I find myself rushing short shots but on a 30- 50 yarder I am much more methodical. Most of my kills are shot shots and I honestly am on auto-pilot. I know what I am doing but it's over and done pretty quick, normally with good results :?
When you take your kid hunting and he says thank you and tells you how much he loves being in the woods with you, your day just isn't going to get any better than that.
superkodiak38

Postby Yohon » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:18 am

I have a copy of his book I'll bring to Baltimore for you to check out. Dang I could type a novel on this but Jim's pretty much trimmed it to the bone and is spot on.......I like what Joel says but if you get a copy of his DVD and then the book, cant beleive there is much the online course would do for you....but I've been wrong more than once already today soooo....... :lol:
Welcome to the USSA
Yohon

Postby superkodiak38 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:59 am

Yohon wrong twivce by 1000 AM ? You're doign good ! Ok, I will look forward to reading it Thanks ! ;)
superkodiak38

Postby marc » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:45 am

I like his system and use his aiming technique with the form I learned from Rod and Jimmies clinic. IMO you would be further ahead to watch his videos and go to Rod's clinic as Rod quickly identified my major problem right away of not getting my shoulders squared to the target. I never would have learned that from an online course.
"There is a fine line between tough and stupid and I think I found it" Ken Rohloff
"I'd hit that, with my truck" Ken Rohloff
marc

Postby superkodiak38 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:32 am

I had considered taking Rod's course, I'll have to find out if they are coming back to Lancaster anytime soon. Since I switched over to the Titan I find myself thinking about my grip and the feel of the shot and not really immersing myself in the spot. I have been shooting a blank bale and that is helping. I feel like changing over from the longbow to the recurve I have to learn to walk all over again. When I am shooting it well I am slapping shafts but I am still getting a flier on occassion due to break down in running my shot.
superkodiak38

Return to Board index

Return to Everything archery