Skip to content

So this longbow crap.....

This is a general discussion forum where any archery related topics are welcome.

So this longbow crap.....

Postby Yohon » Sat Feb 18, 2017 5:50 pm

Again the highlight of my fall was hangin with Stykshooter and that ol rascal hooked me on shooting Hill longbows. Got my very own middle of December and have had fun shooting and hunting with it. Even got a shot at a doe but screwed that up....the Indian pullin the strings fault not the bow.....friggin 14 yards..... :evil:

Anyway the seasons gone and I've been shooting this Hill and struggling with grip and arrow flight. Finally just said the heck with this, gripped it the way I do all my bows (instead of the "Hill" grip....whatever the heck that is) and have got the bow shooting "OK". I just have a time shooting off the shelf for some reason......what I should never have done was string up a Titan after messing with them....WOW, talk about lights out LOL Im like....."why in the heck am I messing with other bow when these Titan's shoot SOOOOO good"......addiction to this archery crap is why LOL

Went hog hunting a week or two ago and the guy we hunt with is a GREAT guy and a trad shooter too and so happens he had a Bear Montana.......the hunting was terribly slow....lots of acorns, full moon, coyotes and 85 degrees had em moving late. I shot the crap out of his Montana!!!Loved the grip, cut a LOT closer to center and I just liked the dang thing!!! For some reason they have appealed to me for a while and after shooting that one in FL I had one here pretty quick. Pretty dang happy with it...kind of reminds me of all the Quinn bows I have had......built like tanks, good shooters that Im not afraid of scratching up with abuse. The sting is way over built so I got a new string coming and already have several arrows shooting much better for me than the Hill. I cant hear much difference in how quiet they are but am shooting the Montana much better. Got alot of time yet till September but this will help make the time go by waiting for the season. Should see Randy a couple times between now and hunting season so Im sure we'll get the Hill dialed in. Just comparing the two right now my nod is towards the shoot ability of the Montana but the Hill is the genuine real deal so testing and shooting will continue for the near future and my tennis elbow will NEVER heal...... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Welcome to the USSA
Yohon

Re: So this longbow crap.....

Postby PAarcher » Sat Feb 18, 2017 6:43 pm

I've got a good friend in San Diego who swears by his Montana. I'd like to try one.
PAarcher

Postby jeffhalfrack » Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:49 pm

Bear Montana = most under rated bow IMHO Get a good string ( I like endless loop) Good luck JeffW
jeffhalfrack

Postby superkodiak38 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:43 am

You think it's the grip ? The Montana has the slight locater and the Hill is essentially a square. I am not sure but I thought you could get a Hill with a slight locator? I know that is blasphemy but so is having a bow you don't want to shoot.
When you take your kid hunting and he says thank you and tells you how much he loves being in the woods with you, your day just isn't going to get any better than that.
superkodiak38

Postby Yohon » Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:08 pm

Im sure that's got alot to do with it Tim.....the Montana has a locator and its easy to do it the same way each time. Randys bows all had locators and I wish this Hill had it. Im sure thats why one arrow shoots good and the next one doesnt....there is just way too much room on that grip to go up/down and all around and it all feels the same to me.
If I get another it would have one like this...
Welcome to the USSA
Yohon

Postby lostaro » Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:08 pm

Went through similar trials with a Hill bow..... If you want to shoot a "real" longbow it's got to be a Hill right???:roll:

I've shot several longbows before and since but never...NEVER got comfortable with the Hill and truthfully the thing just pissed me off! :evil: :evil: :evil:

Had a so so run with a Mowhawk longbow.... but I've had by far the best experience with a couple of Samick Red Stags....and keep in mind I had two Red Stags fold up on me! Of course LAS had new ones here ASAP ;) Still shot them well and killed several deer with them.

I think "Hill disaster" was all in the grip with me....the fat window didn't help with arrow flight either. I have learned to never say never when it comes to shooting a longbow as my primary weapon.....BUT it's a safe bet I won't own another H.Hill

My respect and humble amazement to you brave folks who do well with them....
"My goal in life is to try NOT to screw up so bad that they name the screw up after me..."
"Nothing better than a campfire, cold beer and piles of dangerously undercooked meat..."
lostaro

Postby Stykshooter » Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:57 pm

I'm just the opposite. A Howard Hill feels good to me and shoots good. When I pick up a Montana it just feels like a blocky piece of framing lumber. I've owned two of them and couldn't shoot either worth beans. Then you take my youngest son.... I have a few bows around the house here that he can choose from and his go to bow is a 55 pound Bear Montana. He shoots it well and you certainly cant argue with the results he gets on deer.

When I was at the Bear factory last year, they told me that the Montana was their number one selling bow and they had numerous racks like this of Montanas, all ready to go to the spray booth.

bear factory 6.jpg
bear factory 6.jpg (109.44 KiB) Viewed 1201 times
You can tell a lot about a woman's mood just by her hands. If they are holding a gun, she's probably angry.
Stykshooter

Return to Board index

Return to Everything archery