Skip to content

Stabilizer: Purpose/weight

This is a general discussion forum where any archery related topics are welcome.

Stabilizer: Purpose/weight

Postby Jim Casto Jr » Sat Feb 18, 2017 4:32 pm

Need some advice. The first leg of the IBO is going to be at Pipestem State Park, and I may never find a closer IBO shoot. I’ve always wanted to attend and participate in one of these shoots. I wouldn’t be competitive, mind you; I just want to do it.

I’m thinking of shooting in the RU class since I can shoot my fixed crawl. I see virtually everyone in that class shoots with a stabilizer. I admittedly know next to nothing about stabilizers. So… a couple questions to get me started.

What am I looking for it to accomplish? Does it need to be heavy enough to tip the bow down, or just enough to make the bow rest level in my hand?
"Archery is really very simple. You just have to do the exact same thing on every shot"
Bill Leslie, July 22, 2017

"Form is everything."
Al Cole, June 7, 2008
Jim Casto Jr

Re: Stabilizer: Purpose/weight

Postby Yohon » Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:24 am

Jim, I always set mine up to remain level at the shot or a slight tilt forward was good. It job is too well, stabilize LOL...you don't want to fight it....there are a ton out there and seeing the Lancaster feeds from the shoot everybody seems to use something different. I always liked the way a bow shot with a stabilizer that was set up right. Look forward to hearing about the shoot......sic em ;)
Welcome to the USSA
Yohon

Postby marc » Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:29 am

I prefer just a barebow weight. Keeps the bow vertical in my hand after the shot. I use the 12 oz x spot from las .
"There is a fine line between tough and stupid and I think I found it" Ken Rohloff
"I'd hit that, with my truck" Ken Rohloff
marc

Postby Stykshooter » Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:05 am

Once again... differing opinions. I guess it goes back to my years of shooting F.I.T.A., but I like to set up a bow with a stabilizer to have enough weight forward to give it a strong forward roll at the shot. Back in the day.... I was really anal about it and wasted way too much time experimenting with a weight one inch further forward or one inch further back and with an ounce or two difference of weight.

With a F.I.T.A. bow, if you aren't doing everything perfect and you keep a strong bow arm, the lower limb will dang near catch you in the chin. You obviously cant set up a bare bow to react the same way.

I am surprised at the amount of weight that a lot of guys are shooting in front of their bows on the short stabilyzers when I pick them up out at the club. Or just the weight of some of the risers. Dewayne's WF riser weighs as much alone as most of my set ups over the years weighed complete with limbs, sights, stabs., etc.
You can tell a lot about a woman's mood just by her hands. If they are holding a gun, she's probably angry.
Stykshooter

Return to Board index

Return to Everything archery