Skip to content

A transplanted flatlander

This is a general discussion forum where any archery related topics are welcome.

A transplanted flatlander

Postby Stykshooter » Sun Oct 16, 2016 9:05 am

Yohon has left his flat, sandy land on the eastern shore and is now on his way south to the Blue Ridge mountains. Planning on spending a week hunting with Will, (Lostaro), my boys and myself. Conditions don't look all that great...it has been in the 60's the last week and deer have been moving, and falling. Supposed to be in the mid 80's with a full moon this coming week. But, I am sure we will chase them hard and have a great time... as well as show Yohon some vertical country!
You can tell a lot about a woman's mood just by her hands. If they are holding a gun, she's probably angry.
Stykshooter

Re: A transplanted flatlander

Postby Mann » Sun Oct 16, 2016 2:57 pm

Go get em guys! :D
Mann

Postby superkodiak38 » Sun Oct 16, 2016 3:35 pm

Last week bucks were still in bachelor groups, then it got down in the 40's at night and I saw a 10 point bumping around a group of does ( unfortunately I was watching from my truck) With the moon and 80 degree days It's going to be tough for sure but between Yohon, Randy, and his group of Appalachian deer thugs, I think there is a high probability of fresh backstraps making an appearance on the fire !
When you take your kid hunting and he says thank you and tells you how much he loves being in the woods with you, your day just isn't going to get any better than that.
superkodiak38

Postby Yohon » Sun Oct 23, 2016 1:30 pm

For a guy like me who lives and breathes this bowhunting stuff a week like I just had was like an advanced college course. Dang I got a lot to digest!!!! I have met some genuinely great people thanks to the stickbow and this week proved it again. I am having a heck of a time getting a few pictures to download but I'm waiting for my IT person (my teenage daughter ;) ) to give me a hand and I'll add some here hopefully. Not sure you'll find many guys that are more hardcore bowhunters than Stykshooter and Lostaro and just great guys to be around too. Like I said a absolute treat the last week has been, tough hunting conditions would have had most throwing in the towel and going fishing but we hit it hard all week and while we didnt have much to show for it as far as killing things goes it was completely satisfying in the doing part.
Welcome to the USSA
Yohon

Postby superkodiak38 » Sun Oct 23, 2016 4:54 pm

I've been checking in waiting for an update, got my popcorn !
When you take your kid hunting and he says thank you and tells you how much he loves being in the woods with you, your day just isn't going to get any better than that.
superkodiak38

Postby lostaro » Sun Oct 23, 2016 5:57 pm

Definitely a blast this weekend....I unfortunately missed most of the fun due to my stupid job. :x

Always good to get together with like minded bowhunting addicts....Feel like we've been hunting together for years. Pretty cool.

Yohon got to witness some of the "good natured" ribbing we throw out when stump shooting.....even threw some his way.

Kinda hard to give him much crap...dude can shoot ;)

BTW.....who hit that bottle cap again??? ............I forgot :?
"My goal in life is to try NOT to screw up so bad that they name the screw up after me..."
"Nothing better than a campfire, cold beer and piles of dangerously undercooked meat..."
lostaro

Postby Stykshooter » Sun Oct 23, 2016 6:03 pm

Seems like every time Yohon comes down he brings beach weather with him. I had been hunting in 60 degree temperatures and had lows in the low 30's the week before he came. The whole week that he was down we had mid '80's for highs and mid '60's for lows. We still hunted and sweated and deer sightings were abnormally low for me and my guys. Added to that was the number of coyote encounters and bear activity. I saw or heard coyotes on five different sits last week and Yohon got to see his first ever bear in the woods! There were still several deer killed by my son, some of his friends and some of mine.... as well as Yohon.

I was cursed with little bucks all week and passed up several dinks but couldn't buy a slunger or a doe. When the temperatures finally dropped on Friday night, the winds arrived and we hunted in 40 m.p.h. winds for a couple of days.

Still, an awesome time with an awesome guy. You couldn't ask for a better guy to spend a week in the woods with, although he does tend to sleep a lot! :D You kind of have to laugh... I threw a rope around the neck of a big doe that he shot and we started up a veritable rock cliff. I had to take a couple photos from below and made the observation that "You don't get to do that very much on the shore do ya?"
You can tell a lot about a woman's mood just by her hands. If they are holding a gun, she's probably angry.
Stykshooter

Postby Stykshooter » Sun Oct 23, 2016 6:17 pm

And one of the most startling aspects of hanging around with me down here for a week....

That ain't no Titan in his hands.

yohon&hill.jpg
yohon&hill.jpg (135.47 KiB) Viewed 1277 times

I worked it out for a friend to loan him a Hill to play with one day. Mine are a tad too heavy. Not surprisingly, he shot it very well and kind of took to it. "Course he shoots most bows pretty well.
Stykshooter

Postby Yohon » Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:54 am

Hunting with or hanging around Randy always cost me money!!!! When a guy like him who's played with alot of different things finds something that works.....it usually work and works well!!! Treestands, knives, broadheads this list goes on and I pay attention and end up buying new toys. I never had a chance to shoot a Hill bow very often and Randy knew a great guy that had one that was near my specs and with some instructions from him on grip/elbow placement I had a blast shooting it! We shot it at first in his clubs indoor range where the sound really reverberates....we went outside and that first shot I was like "oh yeah"......whisper quiet!!! Im afraid he's done it again....but he did it this week with packs, knives arrows and even hats....... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Welcome to the USSA
Yohon

Postby Yohon » Mon Oct 24, 2016 4:22 am

Oh and this sleep thing is a constant source of amazement to me!! I know all you LEO in here are probably all the same with the hours you guys keep but I sure wish I could function on the sleep this guy does.......I cant hardly keep my eye's open, its close to midnight and he's talking like its 8AM and doing three things at the same time.....might be all that Mt Dew...... :D
Welcome to the USSA
Yohon

Next

Return to Board index

Return to Everything archery