Skip to content

Hoyt Tribute

This is a general discussion forum where any archery related topics are welcome.

Hoyt Tribute

Postby arrowlauncherdj » Wed Oct 12, 2016 9:45 pm

Now that I am the owner of two optometry practices (bought the old man out) and I guess foolish enough to start another one in a different town, I haven't had as much time to shoot my recurve as much as I want. As a result I'm a little bit more inconsistent that I want to be for the season. I ordered a Hoyt Tribute so I can still shoot fingers at least. So far I am really enjoying it although as much as I am a gap shooter, I am having a hard time putting the pin on the target. I keep wanting to gap shoot my pin. I am shooting a single pin adjustable site. Any of you guys ever have any trouble after shooting no sites and trying to go back to the site? And have any of you guys messed with the Hoyt tribute and what do you think about it?
arrowlauncherdj

Re: Hoyt Tribute

Postby marc » Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:12 am

I don't have the same problem with a pin but I do have the same problem with a set crawl. Tried shooting a 20 yard crawl and I just can't put the tip on the deer at that range so I had to set it up at 30 so I could hold at the bottom of the chest cavity.

Have you tried a set crawl? Really takes the guess work out of those big gaps.
"There is a fine line between tough and stupid and I think I found it" Ken Rohloff
"I'd hit that, with my truck" Ken Rohloff
marc

Postby arrowlauncherdj » Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:41 pm

I have tried tinkering around with a crawl, but even when I raise my knocking point upwards of a half-inch over where it is now, my bow still has a very loud snap and twang that I just can't stand. To me it sounds like it's about to come apart.
arrowlauncherdj

Postby Gino Bruno » Thu Oct 13, 2016 9:20 pm

actually what do you think about it? i have been saying i was going to buy one for 5 years now (it was the hoyt vantage when i initially wanted one.... actually.... i always said i was going to buy a reflex caribou). i have a hoyt pro-elite which is very similar to it and it is a joy to shoot. i have it set up to shoot barebow and i really like it. it is so incredibly smooth. i should finally have the shop done early next month so for the first time since i moved here ('09) i plan on building bows. i have been dying to build an old-school compound similar to the tribute but with an actual deflexed riser built to shoot off the shelf. i was going to call rob to see if i could get some of the accu-wheels and just build a bow around them. first a purdy wood one with all glass laminated limbs(with veneers under clear glass). then do a wood veneer/carbon veneer laminated riser and machine it (maybe even try a purdy wood one with something like a mathews no-cam). my buddy Cote has a severely injured shoulder and has had to pick up the compound this year so i'd like to build him one as well as yohon.

anyway, curious as to your thoughts on the tribute.
Gun Control - A theory espoused by some monumentally stupid people; who claim to believe, against all logic and common sense, that a violent predator who ignores the laws prohibiting them from robbing, raping, kidnapping, torturing and killing their fellow human beings will obey a law telling them that they cannot own a gun.
Gino Bruno

Postby Gino Bruno » Thu Oct 13, 2016 9:28 pm

maybe try one of those SRF sights? might be the cure you need with trying to compensate for a pin and a gap. it might give more of a solid visual reference yet see somewhat of a gap in relationship the the sight itself.

out of curiosity, do you shoot split or 3 under? i was going to set up a tribute for 3 under and shoot "barebow" with my normal anchor but use a really low anchor (think olympic) with sights so that i could get sights to work with 3 under. i figured it would make a really versatile hunting rig.
Gun Control - A theory espoused by some monumentally stupid people; who claim to believe, against all logic and common sense, that a violent predator who ignores the laws prohibiting them from robbing, raping, kidnapping, torturing and killing their fellow human beings will obey a law telling them that they cannot own a gun.
Gino Bruno

Postby arrowlauncherdj » Fri Oct 14, 2016 7:58 am

I really like shooting the bow, I have mine set up with a whisker biscuit and an adjustable site. I tried putting one of the SRF site systems on, but I could not get it to go over to the left far enough because of the way the riser is designed. I suppose I could try to mount it backwards on the inside of the riser, I'll try to get a longer screw to go on the side of the site, but I decided just to leave it well enough alone as I was still shooting it pretty well. There is a significant offset built into the riser and shelf.I basically set the adjustable site for about 25 yards and if I am right on I'm only a couple inches high, if I still end up gapping a little bit I may be an inch low. It seems to work out to 25 yards just fine, which is about the max on all of my stand set up so anyway. To shoot off of the shelf, you would have to get a little creative, because the shelf is scooped. I suppose you could build it up to level , But the whisker biscuit was easy and it seemed to tuneup easily enough. I have been shooting two fingers under for the last year and love it. My recurve and the compound bow I shoot two under. I always felt like the third finger cause me to torque my string a bit and did not add anything to the feeling of security on the shot.
arrowlauncherdj

Postby rwsbow » Fri Oct 14, 2016 8:33 am

Maybe give a ring pin (without the post) a try.. allows you to look at the target without a actual pin being in the way..set it for a yardage that you are comfortable with..
The reason I support the 2nd Amendment is because I'm too young to die but too old for an ass whoopin' ! 

rwsbow

Postby lostaro » Fri Oct 14, 2016 4:23 pm

Haven't played with compounds for years....looking at that Tribute is making me want one!

Looks like an awesome rig. Never disappointed with Hoyt in the past.
"My goal in life is to try NOT to screw up so bad that they name the screw up after me..."
"Nothing better than a campfire, cold beer and piles of dangerously undercooked meat..."
lostaro

Postby BEN MAHER » Sat Oct 15, 2016 3:22 am

I bought one last year , revisiting my Chuck Adams, Hoyt Finger shooting youth ... heck I even dragged out the Hip Quiver !

I couldn't get a Whisper Biscuit to work with fingers but the Flipper worked great ...

It was a smooth, dandy shooting bow ... I wanted to go and play some IFAA events with it (Bowhunter Limited ) ...

I ran 5 pins and shot my Split, but I had to drop my anchor (stickbows I shoot split but anchor really high compared to most )

It's a great bow , and heaps of fun to shoot IMHO . I sold t to my mate who swapped to lefty and he is killing game a plenty in New Zealand with it ........

Look forward to an update ...
BEN MAHER

Postby arrowlauncherdj » Sat Oct 15, 2016 4:51 pm

I put a little bend in my arm after getting the draw length adjusted down by about a half inch. That made all the difference in the world. Now when I draw back and get to anchor, that little bend in my arm helps keep me from getting locked below target. Plus I started practicing coming down on the target and trying to center the site ring on the target as I drew. It made a huge difference. I'm clacking arrows now with it cranked up all the way to 70.

Dave
arrowlauncherdj

Return to Board index

Return to Everything archery