Skip to content

2016's ......

This is a general discussion forum where any archery related topics are welcome.

2016's ......

Postby BEN MAHER » Wed Jul 13, 2016 1:25 pm

As much as I play around with all sorts of carbons , it's hard to go past how easy to set up , and just how well I can get 2016's to shoot . ( my hot pink GT Nugents Blems from Big Jim are very cool though ...
Yeah, I know they are not as durable etc , but as I lose sleep and ask Facebook and relatives what arrows I should be taking to NZ for the Turkeyhogredstag beast hunt of 2016, it's looking like some Autumn Orange with some camo GG's are going to get the nod .
Heck, I have GT's set up so they fly exactly the same as my 2016's and could easily and confidently take both in the same quiver but that would send my OCD into amazing overdrive ......

But uber straight, 15 minute to cut ,fletch and install points and my hip quiver filled makes me look like Jim Dougherty ... And I don't need any arrow saw to cut them so my wife hates me that little bit less .... :lol:
How is that not winning.

It's not like anyone else gives a toss ... But man do I over think this stuff !
BEN MAHER

Re: 2016's ......

Postby Yohon » Wed Jul 13, 2016 2:05 pm

Shooting them off my Bear and love spinning them, forgot how straight an arrow is supposed to feel!!! I shoot into alot of soft ground round here but I've lost more 2016's than I've bent so far......
Welcome to the USSA
Yohon

Postby Stykshooter » Wed Jul 13, 2016 7:37 pm

I shoot a lot of carbon, and wood off of various bows. But I still shoot a lot of aluminums... 2018's, 2117's, 2216's and 2219's. Hard not to love an aluminum.
You can tell a lot about a woman's mood just by her hands. If they are holding a gun, she's probably angry.
Stykshooter

Postby lostaro » Thu Jul 14, 2016 5:40 pm

I shoot aluminum in all my bows.....just don't like change..... ;)
"My goal in life is to try NOT to screw up so bad that they name the screw up after me..."
"Nothing better than a campfire, cold beer and piles of dangerously undercooked meat..."
lostaro

Postby rallison » Thu Jul 14, 2016 7:51 pm

I'm shooting Ken's Phoenix 'n RD longbow...52 & 53 lbs...the Phoenix loves 2117's, and the longbow shoots them along with 2016's. The next carbon I shoot will be my first...I've been a wood and aluminum fan for...well...forever.
rallison

Postby BEN MAHER » Fri Jul 15, 2016 3:33 pm

I have the truck loaded with arrows , both alloy and carbon ...

Going off to play in the bush for the day and loose them at things near and far .

Whichever goes best today will be the template for my arrow build for New Zealand ...

But my stash of Autumn Orange is yelling from the corner ... Fletch me , fletch me ......

Maybe , just maybe ... They'll get the nod .

If they do , they'll go to New Zealand and not come back .....

Stalking Turkeys is a great way to lose arrows ... Maybe a fitting end to those rare Autumn Orange bare shafts awaiting feathers , whose journey all these years was just a date with destiny in New Zealand as I pretend to hunt but really just re-enact scenes from Lord of the Rings :o
BEN MAHER

Postby Stykshooter » Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:52 pm

Ben,
I carried Autumn Orange shafts on my last elk hunt. I had an encounter up at tree line and watched that beautiful dipped, crested and spliced arrow made from a shaft produced in the 1970's sail two inches beneath an elk and off the side of a veritable cliff. May still be flying for all I know. I too thought that was a fitting end to an aging warrior.
You can tell a lot about a woman's mood just by her hands. If they are holding a gun, she's probably angry.
Stykshooter

Postby BEN MAHER » Sat Jul 16, 2016 5:59 am

That's Good stuff Randy ...
BEN MAHER

Postby lostaro » Sat Jul 16, 2016 7:33 am

Great thing about aluminums.....the TreBark and A.O. 2018's from the 80's will shoot right where the brand new 2018's shoot.
Can't say that about carbons....the one's that shot great last year may not even be available next year....every time I see a new catalog there's a bunch of new carbon shafts I've never heard of and the old styles are nowhere to be seen.

Carbon is a great shaft material for sure.....like I said before, I hate change :D
"My goal in life is to try NOT to screw up so bad that they name the screw up after me..."
"Nothing better than a campfire, cold beer and piles of dangerously undercooked meat..."
lostaro

Postby BEN MAHER » Sat Jul 16, 2016 10:42 pm

Okay ... A day of stumping later ...
I had tried to set them up to shoot exactly the same . GT's, 35/55 cut at 29 1/2" with 100 gn inserts and 125 heads , 2016's cut at same with 125gn heads .
My longbows are 50# @my 29" draw..
I shot them side by side with Judo's, 2 and 3 blade b'heads and blunts .
As far as I can tell they were landing side by side from 5 to 30 with the alloys dropping a tad at 50 ... Uphill, downhill, flat from my knees ... Everyfink....

So, I just pulled a dz Alloys and a dz GT's to be set up for NZ ...

Alloys will get red feathers on white crest, Carbons will get pink feathers on Fluro yellow on pink crest ...

And I was really happy with how I'm ashooting too . Good relaxed , strong shots , knowing why one was lesser and why my good ones were good. And the good outweighed the bad .
Winning
BEN MAHER

Next

Return to Board index

Return to Everything archery