Skip to content

TradTech Trident (Update)

This is a general discussion forum where any archery related topics are welcome.

TradTech Trident (Update)

Postby Stykshooter » Sun Jul 03, 2016 9:39 am

I have been shooting one the TradTech Trident 17" risers for the couple of weeks and it seems to be a really nice ILF riser, especially for the price. It may not be a first choice as a tournament riser but I think it is going to be a winner in the hunting bow market. I was surprised at the light mass weight of the laminated riser. Most of the bows I have shot recently are either one of my Bear takedowns or a riser with phenolic in it, both of which are relatively heavy. This riser is noticeably lighter in weight. The riser is adjustable for tiller and draw weight and also has lateral limb adjustments. It doesn't have bushings for a cushion plunger or a sight, but that's probably not a concern for the majority of guys who will be picking one of these up.

It is a good looking bow at an attractive price point. The shelf is nicely rounded and the fit and finish on this particular bow is flawless. I like the contrasting colors in the riser which give it almost a camouflaged effect, as well as strength from the laminated construction. The grip is a comfortable, medium wrist height that fits me well. The riser has a grip forward design that I think makes it a little more forgiving.

I have a set of 55 pound long limbs on it and have shot several hundred shots through it now. The bow is quiet and at first I felt a little more vibration through the riser at the shot than I have been used to. But I raised the brace height a little bit and that settled down. A little of that feel at the shot probably comes from the mass weight of the riser, but that is obviously a trade off. The lighter weight is going to make it a lot more pleasant to carry in the woods. This set up shoots a Beman Porkchop .400 great.

Like I said, I think it is going to be real popular as a hunting riser. It is a nice looking riser, going to be tough due to the laminated construction, has light mass weight and comes in under $300.00. Not a lot of downside to this riser, but then again, seems like TradTech has ILF pretty much figured out.

trident 4.jpg
trident 4.jpg (114.74 KiB) Viewed 2767 times

trident 1.jpg
trident 1.jpg (139.71 KiB) Viewed 2767 times

I like the way that they enclosed the limb pockets.

trident 6.jpg
trident 6.jpg (159.03 KiB) Viewed 2767 times

Looks pretty good with a Thunderhorn mini boa strap on quiver on it.
Last edited by Stykshooter on Thu Oct 06, 2016 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: update
You can tell a lot about a woman's mood just by her hands. If they are holding a gun, she's probably angry.
Stykshooter

Re: TradTech Trident

Postby Jim Casto Jr » Sun Jul 03, 2016 11:27 am

Thanks for the review, Randy. I've been wanting to hear about these risers.

Curious... is the logo a sticker, or is it etched into the riser?
"Archery is really very simple. You just have to do the exact same thing on every shot"
Bill Leslie, July 22, 2017

"Form is everything."
Al Cole, June 7, 2008
Jim Casto Jr

Postby Stykshooter » Sun Jul 03, 2016 12:18 pm

That riser is a very early one and the logo is just a sticker. The new ones coming out have the logo laser engraved in that spot.
You can tell a lot about a woman's mood just by her hands. If they are holding a gun, she's probably angry.
Stykshooter

Postby BEN MAHER » Mon Jul 04, 2016 12:46 pm

On my list ....
Thanks for the review Ramdy
BEN MAHER

Postby Stykshooter » Thu Oct 06, 2016 1:46 pm

When I got back from Utah I played around with the Trident some more. Actually this is a different one as my son shot the original one at a local 3-D and smoked with it. It went in his truck and hasn't returned yet. So, I got another riser in and stuck a set of medium Black Max limbs on it that are 59 pounds at my draw length. Felt a little old school so tuned it to shoot a green Gamegetter 2117 with... yeah, Snuffers.

This bow has been shooting really well for me the last week or two and I wanted to kill at least one deer with it. Our regular season opened Saturday and I carried the Trident yesterday and today.

This morning turned out to be pretty interesting. I had located a white oak that was dropping acorns and walked in with my climber at about 6:00 this morning. When I got to the tree there were two 25-30 pound bear cubs hanging around right at the base of it. I did a look around for mom or additional cubs and definitely searched the white oak as I suspected one or both may be up above me. It all looked clear so I climbed on up about 20 feet. After I settled in I was a bit concerned that some of this bear family may try and climb the white oak I was in as I still had 30 minutes before daylight and they had obviously been up and down it a bunch.

Daylight came and no more bears. About 7:30 I had a small cow horn spike walk in and feed for 10-15 minutes. I gave him a pass as was young and a tiny deer. 1/2 hour later I had a hen come in about 35 yards and I fired my first shot in anger at a living creature with the Trident. MMMMMiiisssed! Shot right beneath her and hit a rock. Watched my arrow gain altitude and fly another 70 yards down the ridge. Stupid turkeys.

I was about to get down about 9:00 when I saw another deer coming in. It was just a five pointer but had a large body for around here. He crunched acorns for awhile and then posed broadside in the wide open at about 15 yards. Never one to turn down a gimmee gift, I sent a Snuffer through both lungs. He went about 40 yards, did a tight circle and fell over. Never ceases to amaze me what a sharp, large broadhead does to critters.

Anyway.... on the board with the Trident!

10-6d.jpg
10-6d.jpg (191.19 KiB) Viewed 2513 times

Just for future reference.... that part that has the large triangular hole in it is apparently very import if a deer desires to run very far at all.

10-6a.jpg
10-6a.jpg (176.27 KiB) Viewed 2513 times

By the way. My son asked me what was wrong with that deer's elbow. It is a big spot of matted pine sap, I guess were he bedded sometime. He also had a large spot on his ribs on the other side. I've killed a few deer over the years and I have never seen that before.
Stykshooter

Re: TradTech Trident (Update)

Postby BEN MAHER » Fri Oct 07, 2016 6:40 am

Nice work Randy ...
Love those old Green Gamegetters eh ! Trident looks dandy .
BEN MAHER

Postby 4nolz » Fri Oct 07, 2016 7:19 am

excellent
there are 2 dates on your marker.Your life is the dash in between.
4nolz

Postby Yohon » Sat Oct 08, 2016 5:51 pm

Gamegetters and Snuffers....old school efficiency!!!
Welcome to the USSA
Yohon

Return to Board index

Return to Everything archery