Skip to content

It was different but still GOOD...

This is a general discussion forum where any archery related topics are welcome.

It was different but still GOOD...

Postby Yohon » Sun May 15, 2016 6:06 am

Man it was weird driving to Baltimore this year not being in big red and Burgess getting a sugar buzz on my wife's cookie he liked so much. Camp was quiet for sure with lots of no shows but still a great time and we managed to fling a few arrows and have a good time. I'd say the weather was shitty even for Baltimore standards and I'm bet numbers were down in shooters and vendors. Still got to shoot with my buddys and meet some new guys as well and let me tell ya EVERYBODY is shooting really well......most of the time ;) I think nightpilot said it best....."I shoot so much better after a beer or two" :lol: :lol: :lol:
Rainy weather on Friday but we floundered around in it
Randy thumpin one...
Welcome to the USSA
Yohon

Re: It was different but still GOOD...

Postby Yohon » Sun May 15, 2016 6:10 am

Did clear up for Friday eve and Sat morning and the AM round Saturday was near perfect
And if you have been to Baltimore you know this arrow eater was still out there still causing havoc
Welcome to the USSA
Yohon

Postby Yohon » Sun May 15, 2016 6:14 am

Still lots of Titans out there on the range...
Because of stykshooter there is a Bear TD present's that you cant ignore and his birthmark B was a conversation piece for sure
Welcome to the USSA
Yohon

Postby Stykshooter » Sun May 15, 2016 7:22 am

Yeah, a lot of the regulars under the Big Red tent were absent this year but we still had a great time, regardless of the weather.

When we arrived on Thursday the Red circus tent was just laying flat and we had to put it up on our own. After we were finished and standing back proudly looking at it, it was very obvious that none of us had ever put up a tent that large before and did a pretty crappy job of assembling it. None the less, it was a life saver this weekend. The typically nasty Baltimore weather seemed to turn it up a notch for us this year. Lots of slippery, greasy mud and rain. This seemed to hold the attendance down some which made shooting the courses a lot quicker and easier without the crowds and wait times.

One of the strangest sights at Baltimore was Mike without a beer in his hand. My fellow dark beer aficionado hasn't had a beer since the first of the year and is down 30-40 pounds. Heck, he even got up 5:30 each morning and went out and ran the trails in the rain and mud.

Kudos have to go out to Aaron. He manages to show up each year despite bumming rides, two or three airplane switches, rental cars and jet lag.... always with a bow, arrows, sausages and a couple bottles of liquor with him. I really appreciate the effort and Baltimore wouldn't be the same without him and his infectious laugh.

I am really glad I went this year in particular. There was a wealth of TopCamp anecdotes and stories told around the dining tables and campfire and I would have hated to have missed that. Almost like a memorial service and I have to tell ya..... As much as I hated being rolled out of bed at 6:00 to the sound of that old man's elk bugles each morning, that is one cornerstone of the Baltimore experience that was noticeably missing. :cry:
You can tell a lot about a woman's mood just by her hands. If they are holding a gun, she's probably angry.
Stykshooter

Postby Stykshooter » Sun May 15, 2016 7:29 am

Balt-1.jpg
Balt-1.jpg (101.9 KiB) Viewed 1349 times

Ross (Nightpilot) showed up to hang out with us this year for the first time in several years. It was great hanging out and catching up with him. A week or so ago he had a nasty experience when the Airbus he was flying had multiple system failures and tried to commit suicide while Ross was flying it and Ross had to declare an emergency and go all "Capt. Sully". Hearing him recount that tale was worth the ride up there and I'm glad his skills and experience saw him through it. Apparently two other Airbuses with similar issues haven't been so lucky. I couldn't help but think how TopCamp would have eaten that story up, as much as he was into airplanes and flying.
You can tell a lot about a woman's mood just by her hands. If they are holding a gun, she's probably angry.
Stykshooter

Postby Stykshooter » Sun May 15, 2016 7:32 am

Balt-2.jpg
Balt-2.jpg (122.14 KiB) Viewed 1349 times

Joe Paranee had a new toy.... a high end drone! That things was amazing and he video taped most of the event... from the air! Cant wait to see what he posts on some of the forums.
Stykshooter

Postby Stykshooter » Sun May 15, 2016 7:43 am

Balt-3.jpg
Balt-3.jpg (133.84 KiB) Viewed 1349 times

As always.... we ate pretty damn good.

Most of Friday was cloudy and drizzling rain. It cleared up for a little while Friday afternoon and Saturday morning was clear. They were calling for a front to come through with some really nasty weather for Saturday night/Sunday morning. I needed to be back pretty early on Sunday anyway as did Yohon. We were sharing a tent so decided to pack everything up while it was sunny and dry mid day Saturday and then shoot, have fun and leave after the campfire Saturday night. It looked like most of the campers in the camp ground had the same idea as by 3:00 it was largely empty of tents.

We had all just finished one of the courses when high winds and driving rain came in about 3:00. Temperatures dropped rapidly and it got nasty. In two hours we went from t-shirts and sweating to long sleeves, rain gear and WOOL! Those of us left by then were huddled up under the circus tent and by 6:00 or so I just wasn't having fun any more. As I had a long ride ahead of me I loaded up and headed south.

I had just gotten on I-70 when an alert came across my radio of a band of storms heading to the area with winds up to 60 m.p.h. and golf ball sized hail. I was really glad my gear was packed in the back of my truck and hoped that Aaron and those guys left made it through the night all right.
Stykshooter

Postby Feral Donkey » Sun May 15, 2016 3:10 pm

I had Templetons and beer. It was all good. I got really buzzed up and the Lancaster boys got a history lesson on the board wars. Then some of the boys from down by the road stopped up. We burned everything. We loaded everything we could find on the fire. Getting the fire started was a trip. Sean's sidekick wanted to start the fire with a Farro rod, some magnesium shavings, drier lint and some elbow grease. He worked at it for a good half hour and couldn't get it going. Sean said "Dude, you about ready for a bic?" That was too funny. I eventually had to intervene because we were getting cold. Some of the neighbors were packing up and leaving so they gave us more firewood. You should see how donuts burn! I get the Saturday night award. Tony the Fed went out and got us all coffee this morning. The boys down the hill fried up wild boar steaks and I brought the eggs Mike left and they made a big pile of scrambled eggs. The girls at the Kings Ransom had to give me a big good bye hug. And now i'm sitting in terminal B at BWI, waiting to go home. Great fucking weekend despite the shitty weather. The shitty weather is a good thing. It makes the ladies want to snuggle for warmth.
Attachments
2016-05-15 17.51.33.jpg
2016-05-15 17.51.33.jpg (486.75 KiB) Viewed 1326 times
Lord of the Hooligans.

Feral Donkey

Postby Yohon » Sun May 15, 2016 4:04 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Welcome to the USSA
Yohon

Postby Feral Donkey » Sun May 15, 2016 4:09 pm

I figured out how to shrink photos on my phone now. I got some great action shots of Sean's sidekick trying to start the fire and our intervention.
Attachments
2016-05-15 17.55.00.jpg
2016-05-15 17.55.00.jpg (101.11 KiB) Viewed 1323 times
2016-05-15 17.53.42.jpg
2016-05-15 17.53.42.jpg (462.11 KiB) Viewed 1323 times
2016-05-15 17.52.43.jpg
2016-05-15 17.52.43.jpg (556.65 KiB) Viewed 1323 times
2016-05-15 17.52.03.jpg
2016-05-15 17.52.03.jpg (537.27 KiB) Viewed 1323 times
Lord of the Hooligans.

Feral Donkey

Next