Skip to content

Wellllll.....

This is a general discussion forum where any archery related topics are welcome.

Re: Wellllll.....

Postby reddogge » Tue Mar 22, 2016 4:00 pm

Yohon, I did a similar experiment on 5" shield vs 5" parabolic and had my wife with the perfect ears in the open window as I shot the arrows past her. I didn't think even a yip could have hit her. She said they all sounded the same. The only problem I've ever had was on some real turkey hand ground secondaries that sounded like Howard Hill arrows with a loud pronounced Zzzzzzzzzzzzzip sound.
reddogge

Postby Daniel Banting » Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:45 am

A dear friend now deceased describe my comparable experiments as, "Flying around in ever decreasing circles, until you disappear up your own asshole"!!.

Best regards to all,
Dan

Of course those were my tests and do not necessarily reflect those of Yohon.
Daniel Banting

Postby Yohon » Thu Mar 31, 2016 1:01 pm

Good to see you made it thru the winter Dan ;)

Your friends quote is exactly how I felt....sounds like something my Dad would have told me too :lol:
Welcome to the USSA
Yohon

Postby Fuzzy Dog » Thu Mar 31, 2016 5:01 pm

Sometime back, Stykshooter posted about a similar experiment. Based on his conclusions, and the advice received many years ago that the essence of wisdom is learning from other people and not insisting on making all mistakes yourself, I decided to go with 3, 5" shield fletching. It saved a lot of work, and I've never had a shot go wrong because of the fletching. Now the injun on the bowstring is a whole different matter, but the fletching is just fine.

Great line, Dan. Good to hear from you.

Reminds me of another, and I can't remember whether it was Mark Twain or Will Rogers, who said "One out of a hunderd will learn from reading about it; another 4 will learn from observation, but the remaining 95% have to piss on the electric fence."
"Now I'm generally a mild mannered, live and let live kind of guy, but any fucking snake that gets between me and my coffee pot is just buckin' to be a hat band." The Topcamp Chronicles.

Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.
Fuzzy Dog

Postby jeffhalfrack » Thu Mar 31, 2016 7:21 pm

This. May not be in line with the rest of this thread but,,,,,,,,,awhile back I scored like six one gallon zip lock bags of fletching I mean a bunch all 4" equal right and left wing perfectly sorted man I was set,,',,I left them on the coffee table to talk to the mail man ,,,,,,,,,and dang my son 2 at the time had that crap all over,,,,,,what did I do? ,,,I labeled all the bags left wing ,,set up the old bits and fletched away,,,,,and never looked back,,didn't make a dam bit of difference unless I think about it,,,,,,I was going somewhere with this?? Not shure where oh well Jeff W
jeffhalfrack

Postby Kirkll » Sun Apr 03, 2016 6:43 pm

jeffhalfrack wrote:This. May not be in line with the rest of this thread but,,,,,,,,,awhile back I scored like six one gallon zip lock bags of fletching I mean a bunch all 4" equal right and left wing perfectly sorted man I was set,,',,I left them on the coffee table to talk to the mail man ,,,,,,,,,and dang my son 2 at the time had that crap all over,,,,,,what did I do? ,,,I labeled all the bags left wing ,,set up the old bits and fletched away,,,,,and never looked back,,didn't make a dam bit of difference unless I think about it,,,,,,I was going somewhere with this?? Not shure where oh well Jeff W
\

What i want to know is whether ya got all the crap off the fletching before ya bagged em up?...... Whew! Light a match...
http://www.bigfootbows.com/
kirk@bigfootbows.com

Only archers are fool enough to want to make a composite with natural materials and man made materials, and then bend it repeatedly...
Kirkll

Postby Tom in San Diego » Sun Apr 03, 2016 8:20 pm

FWIW, was standing next to a guy shooting those Bazer vanes out of some go to hell wheel bow. Now according to my wife I need hearing aids but not to hear the whooshing of those vanes going down range.
Our group of five to six shooters use at least 4 different cut styles on our feathers. You all that said it makes no difference, your right! Only real noisey arrows were flu flu and large banana cut that were helically fletched.
Tom in San Diego

Postby Yohon » Mon Apr 04, 2016 5:26 am

That's interesting Tom about the Blazers.....seems everytime I have stood to the side of a blazer going down range it sounds to me like a fletching has come loose on an arrow, very distinct sound but people certainly kill plenty of critters with them. Joe used them on his Titan for years and killed a few critters with that combo.......and again we are right back where I started :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Welcome to the USSA
Yohon

Postby BEN MAHER » Tue Apr 05, 2016 3:14 pm

I shoot Blazers out of my Titan ...
And my Longbows get both parabolic and shield ... Because of the shape my parabolics last longer IMHO as there are no sharp edges ... But I may be talking shite .

As for what's louder ... I am not sure .
I miss everything so can't tell if anything jumps the string ...... :twisted:
BEN MAHER

Postby Yohon » Tue Apr 05, 2016 6:39 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Welcome to the USSA
Yohon

Previous

Return to Board index

Return to Everything archery