Skip to content

Shield vs parabolic

This is a general discussion forum where any archery related topics are welcome.

Re: Shield vs parabolic

Postby gnome » Sun Jun 26, 2016 7:36 pm

Has anyone tested shield vs parabolic through a crono? It may be more of a speed thing, than sound.
I Started shooting shields decades ago, for broadheads. They seemed to do a better job than parabolics. I don't hunt any more, just 3D, and backyard stuff now, but never thought about changing back. May need to rethink that.
gnome

Postby whump » Wed Aug 03, 2016 1:24 am

I have shot at deer at such close range the high back shields worked better for me to stabilize the arrow faster . I do know 4 fletch is louder than 3 fletch just because you have an extra feather catching wind . I fletched some 4 fletch parabolics and even with me being half deaf I could hear them in flight , but I did have some helical on those.
Shields should be more noisy with the same helical if they are higher than the parabolics just because of the drag factor and everything else being equal.
I have climbed and clawed from the pits of merciless persecution and suffered the tortures of the damned ,only to be thrust head first into what can be best described as organized confusion.
whump

Postby Jim Casto Jr » Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:45 pm

Bringing this older thread back up. I saw a post on the LW I thought was interesting.

I did a video on here, a number of years ago, comparing the sound of one feather to another. In this case I compared shield cut vs parabolic. The results were surprising.
I placed the camera on top of the target as to record the incoming sound instead of the outbound.

The feather noise was exactly opposite from the shooter position as compared to the target. As the shooter, the shield sounded loud, and the parabolic whisper quiet. From the target position, the shield was whisper quiet and the parabolic buzzed all the way down.
"Archery is really very simple. You just have to do the exact same thing on every shot"
Bill Leslie, July 22, 2017

"Form is everything."
Al Cole, June 7, 2008
Jim Casto Jr

Previous

Return to Board index

Return to Everything archery