Skip to content

Shield vs parabolic

This is a general discussion forum where any archery related topics are welcome.

Shield vs parabolic

Postby Yohon » Wed Mar 09, 2016 6:26 pm

Something I thought I'd throw out there to see what you all thought. I have shot shields for 87 forever's it seems. I fletched up a 2016 the other day with 3-5" parabolic to see if I could get better clearance off a shelf set up. Now its only one arrow but it certainly seemed like it shoots more consistent for me. In other words I see less times its making a wiggle down range than I do my shields (that are 4 fletched btw). I've got the parabolic arrow with a judo and another arrow rigged up with the 4" 4 fletch with a judo and I have been shooting/comparing and its been an interesting observation that's got me thinking???

Add to that something else......This time of year the blackbirds are moving thru and I dont hesitate to fling arras at em!! That dang parabolic has accounted for most of my hits and I have even had a couple birds that never flew till that arrow hit next to em. That seemed to never happen with shield cuts, lots of times I've made good shots and bird has takin off, used to think it was bow noise but now Im wondering AND if that's the case with birds would it be a bit of help with deer????????
Welcome to the USSA
Yohon

Re: Shield vs parabolic

Postby Jim Casto Jr » Wed Mar 09, 2016 7:37 pm

Now that's interesting. I don't think there's any doubt shields are a tad louder than parabolics, but Gee Whiz. If those birds are indeed an indication they're not hearing that hawk coming, it sure is something to explore. Deer wouldn't hear them either. Fletch up a couple with shields and see how the birds react. You've got about 5 months to test it. :)

I'll be all ears for reports on this one.
"Archery is really very simple. You just have to do the exact same thing on every shot"
Bill Leslie, July 22, 2017

"Form is everything."
Al Cole, June 7, 2008
Jim Casto Jr

Postby owlbait » Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:17 pm

Seems that sometimes the new factor makes a difference. Give it an extended test period. Besides, the shield is sooo much cooler looking! ;)
owlbait

Postby Stykshooter » Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:17 pm

My back field fills up with starlings and grackles each spring. I also had bunches of birds jump up and out of the way at the last second.... when I was shooting judos. I switched to the hex heads and my hit ratio went way the heck up. I am convinced that those little paranoid buggars can hear the wires whistling.... or maybe pick up the larger frontal profile. Either way, I don't get as many hits with a judo.

I shoot a few deer with a bow each year and the only fletching that I think have ever been too noisy was the big banana fletches. I have used shields exclusively for 10-12 years. Mainly because I just think they look better and I am committed to left wing 5" shields. I have bags of fletchings and my choppers cut that pattern. I can usually get around any fletching interference by turning my nocks a little or shooting cock fletch in.
You can tell a lot about a woman's mood just by her hands. If they are holding a gun, she's probably angry.
Stykshooter

Postby Yohon » Thu Mar 10, 2016 6:46 am

Jim, that's the thing I have shot the shields at the birds for ever and just interesting the difference here lately......dont think Im shooting any better....might be luck, we'll see ;)

Owl....Im thinking the same thing.....new factor....further testing for sure.

Styk, I remember you talking about switching from Judo's...just got some VPA thumper heads might try them to see. Im sure on deer it would be negligible givin how many are shot with various form's of feather fletching but I need all the help I can get LOL
Welcome to the USSA
Yohon

Postby Fuzzy Dog » Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:08 am

I've been told that shields are noisier than parabolic, but I'll be damned if I can hear any difference - 'course I can't hear for shit anyway, so that may not prove much. I agree with Randy that the shields look better - but I also like them because they're easier to set up so that I can use the tip of the feather to tip of my nose as an additional anchor/locator point.
"Now I'm generally a mild mannered, live and let live kind of guy, but any fucking snake that gets between me and my coffee pot is just buckin' to be a hat band." The Topcamp Chronicles.

Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.
Fuzzy Dog

Postby superkodiak38 » Fri Mar 11, 2016 12:00 am

I switched from sheilds to parabolics years ago. I was fooling around with shooting 80 yards on some field courses and the parabolics where easier to get on target at that distance due to drag, hit a lot higher. I also have noticed the sound difference and have never gone back to shields.
When you take your kid hunting and he says thank you and tells you how much he loves being in the woods with you, your day just isn't going to get any better than that.
superkodiak38

Postby PAarcher » Mon Mar 14, 2016 4:49 pm

I've got some new arrows that will need to be fletched soon. I was considering trying some of the bigger shields. I usually us those Rayzr feathers.
PAarcher

Postby bearauto11 » Mon Mar 14, 2016 10:36 pm

owlbait wrote:Besides, the shield is sooo much cooler looking! ;)

Yeah it is!
bearauto11

Postby Hank » Mon Mar 14, 2016 11:19 pm

My burner is set up for a parashield... like a shield cut but the back end is rounded a tad, gives it a real classic look.
a genetically modified by aliens life form, known as Hank
Hank

Next

Return to Board index

Return to Everything archery