Skip to content

Would you drill...

This is a general discussion forum where any archery related topics are welcome.

Would you drill...

Postby Yohon » Sat Mar 05, 2016 7:39 pm

Thinking of mounting a delta quiver to my magnesium riser. Its got a lower hole in a good spot but it needs an upper hole and thinking of tapping the riser to take a 1/4-20 bolt.
Where the arrow point is seems to be the best place. Would you guys think its a bad idea to tap it? Not going thru the riser, maybe a 1/4" or so deep.......whatcha all think?
Welcome to the USSA
Yohon

Re: Would you drill...

Postby Jim Casto Jr » Sun Mar 06, 2016 6:33 am

If that riser is as clean as it looks, I don't think I'd do it. I'd most likely try to find one of those old single arm quivers that was made for those era risers.

single spring arm.jpg
single spring arm.jpg (5.27 KiB) Viewed 1607 times
"Archery is really very simple. You just have to do the exact same thing on every shot"
Bill Leslie, July 22, 2017

"Form is everything."
Al Cole, June 7, 2008
Jim Casto Jr

Postby Yohon » Sun Mar 06, 2016 6:56 am

Jim its not in pristine shape, just been recently dipped. Seems them Bear quivers were always loud and really rattled around. I have one of the double spring arm quivers.
Welcome to the USSA
Yohon

Postby Jim Casto Jr » Sun Mar 06, 2016 7:09 am

Yeah the double-arm isn't very good. The single arm isn't either, but it's much better than the other. I still don't think I'd drill it unless I went thru the medallion hole. Then, you, or the next guy could cover it. It's been a long time, but I think I removed the plastic window in the riser and bolted a Delta quiver on one time.
"Archery is really very simple. You just have to do the exact same thing on every shot"
Bill Leslie, July 22, 2017

"Form is everything."
Al Cole, June 7, 2008
Jim Casto Jr

Postby Stykshooter » Sun Mar 06, 2016 7:52 pm

NO!
You can tell a lot about a woman's mood just by her hands. If they are holding a gun, she's probably angry.
Stykshooter

Postby lostaro » Mon Mar 07, 2016 6:39 am

It's a tool...make it work for you... ;)

Of course this is coming from a guy with beautiful Bear bows covered in gobs of cheap green paint! :D
"My goal in life is to try NOT to screw up so bad that they name the screw up after me..."
"Nothing better than a campfire, cold beer and piles of dangerously undercooked meat..."
lostaro

Postby Robertfishes » Mon Mar 07, 2016 12:34 pm

I think you need to be careful drilling magnisium..that stuff burns pretty hot..
Robertfishes

Postby rwsbow » Mon Mar 07, 2016 1:53 pm

Any chance you can just tap the hole where the "medallion" went and then drill through the quiver (even if it is not a delta) to bolt to it?..just wondering....
The reason I support the 2nd Amendment is because I'm too young to die but too old for an ass whoopin' ! 

rwsbow

Postby Yohon » Mon Mar 07, 2016 7:52 pm

Hey Roger!!! Hope things are going well for you....I ended up doing just what you said. The existing hole that's there went thru to the sight window. I simply widened that hole slightly and tapped it, ran the bolt thru to a nut that fit right in there inside the sight window and its hidden behind the plastic bear sight plate and we are in business.....
Welcome to the USSA
Yohon

Postby PAarcher » Mon Mar 14, 2016 4:52 pm

I wouldn't drill it. I may keep my eyes open for one of those risers this year.
PAarcher

Return to Board index

Return to Everything archery