Skip to content

600 years ago today ...

This is a general discussion forum where any archery related topics are welcome.

600 years ago today ...

Postby BEN MAHER » Sun Oct 25, 2015 1:03 am

a bunch of English Archers gave rise to legend when they defeated 4-5 times their number of heavy French Knights and Men at arms with their trusty Longbows and ash shafts ... at a little village called Agincourt ...

"we few,
we happy few" ...

I flung some woodies from my Union Jack today in their honour of them and their exploits ......

Re: 600 years ago today ...

Postby Yohon » Sun Oct 25, 2015 6:36 am

I read some links on that battle today.....interesting subject to say the least!!!
Welcome to the USSA

Postby reddogge » Sun Oct 25, 2015 5:59 pm

Lots of reasons the English defeated a much larger force that day. First of all they had a professional army of archers who practiced daily.

They deployed in the narrow end of the field so the French were herded into their killing zone. They deployed the archers on the wings in a defilade formation thus exposing the French to the murderous arrow assault from the wings.

The infantry used sharpened poles set into the ground and retreated behind them at the last moment spearing the French cavalry horses and causing panic.

The French had 50 kilos of armor on and had to advance through a muddy newly ploughed field. In their panic many were trampled by horses and men behind them.

The French relied on the slow and inefficient crossbow as opposed to the long shooting and quick firing longbow.

Postby bearauto11 » Sun Oct 25, 2015 10:37 pm

Yohon wrote:I read some links on that battle today.....interesting subject to say the least!!!

Me too. Interesting.

Postby MOUNTER » Wed Oct 28, 2015 1:51 pm

A few years ago, Primative Archer did a series of Articles on Agincourt, Cercey(sp?) and a couple other battles where archers played a major role.. Pretty interesting reading.

Return to Board index

Return to Everything archery