Skip to content

Revisiting bareshaft tuning.

This is a general discussion forum where any archery related topics are welcome.

Revisiting bareshaft tuning.

Postby Feral Donkey » Sun Oct 11, 2015 1:37 pm

So one would think I should remember this like the back of my hand. Fact is I have nottaken tuning very seriously for quite a few years. Now I have a new bow as of Saturday and it's a lighter poundage because my shoulder is a sissy and totally pussed out on me. I can get to full draw, settle in my anchor, breathe, count to 4, think about one of my exgirlfriend's hooters, and release. It's slower than my other bows, but if I want to go fast I got the mechanized death-machine crossbow.

Ok. This thing is not center-shooting. It's a wood and glass longbow. So when I shoot a bareshaft at 20 yards, it hits right where I aim and ends up nock high 4" and about 3" nock left. We a bit schtiff? They are full length CX 350 Pile Drivers and 145 grain screw-in points. Maybe I should go to full length 250s and use some big chickens? As long as they go where I point them, I don't mind them a little softer.
Lord of the Hooligans.

Feral Donkey

Re: Revisiting bareshaft tuning.

Postby BEN MAHER » Sun Oct 11, 2015 2:21 pm

If I can get them landing where I am looking at 20 , i just play with nock height until they are "straight" and put feathers on them.
My form is way too questionable to make adjustments otherwise on a bare shaft - but landing where I am pointing + 5" feathers and I am pretty happy.
My ex girlfriends hooters is my new Target Panic cure - thanks :P
BEN MAHER

Postby Jim Casto Jr » Sun Oct 11, 2015 3:12 pm

I bare shaft group tune. Usually a couple bare shafts and three arrows. I start about 10 to 12 yards and back up as I tune.

bare shafting.jpg
bare shafting.jpg (81.9 KiB) Viewed 1542 times
"Archery is really very simple. You just have to do the exact same thing on every shot"
Bill Leslie, July 22, 2017

"Form is everything."
Al Cole, June 7, 2008
Jim Casto Jr

Postby reddogge » Mon Oct 12, 2015 6:27 am

If your arrow is flying to the target with a nock left attitude it is showing weak. Either shorten up a little at a time or go to a lighter point depending on what weight broadhead you want to use. If you're matching broadhead weight now then you must shorten the shaft. A very slight weak arrow is not a bad thing as it will fly nice with feathers.

Make your adjustments and fletch one up and see how it flies.
reddogge

Return to Board index

Return to Everything archery