Skip to content

POA will NEVER be the same again

This is a general discussion forum where any archery related topics are welcome.

Re: POA will NEVER be the same again

Postby Feral Donkey » Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:44 am

Sunday night, wasn't it?
Lord of the Hooligans.

Feral Donkey

Postby Feral Donkey » Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:58 am

At least he didn't have to spend another winter out on the big white nothing. he called me up a few times the last few winters. Remember when he accidentally erased the Pirate Directory? He was a jittery train wreck. I told him to get in Big Red and go on a quest to find Cutty. I was trying to get him to do anything. Kathy's place drove him batshit in the winter. I was worried about him getting suicidal out there.

The night of the blood moon and lunar eclipse, on the farm where he was born and raised, in the bedding area of the PG, at probably the spot he stuck it with an arrow, and surrounded by his loving dogs.
Lord of the Hooligans.

Feral Donkey

Postby Hornseeker » Fri Oct 02, 2015 5:18 pm

Dad just sent me this today...

Ol Blevins and Big Red...
It FEELS GOOD to USE WOOD!
Chuck Norris puts the laughter in manslaughter.
Hornseeker

Postby Hornseeker » Fri Oct 02, 2015 5:22 pm

Pretty damn amazing actually.... But I still bet he was saying "bullshit... I ain't ready for this yet"

Anyhow... Yeah, he actually pretty much hated it here. It was so hard for me, because I love it here so damn much!! This summer he did warm up to MT a bit though... Then the east shore called him home and said "bullshit... Your staying here"

He did get terribly down in the winter here... I'm with ya there FD...
Hornseeker

Postby Bob Palmer » Fri Oct 02, 2015 6:27 pm

Yeah, Hornseeker, I doubt he was ready....he was incredibly young at heart! Like I said, he lived the life of a rock star at one point in his life! I'm glad our paths crossed! Thanks Yohon!!

He loved that stretch of Maryland he lived on soo much! It's called Revel's Point and pretty much owned now or in the not so distant past by his family. We'd go for a ride and he'd have stories of almost every square inch of that point in the Chesapeake Bay. It's funny but my Dad bought a farm minutes from his front door, and when I took him to see it, Burgess had never been any where near it. He loved that stretch so much, I don't think he strayed far...especially for hunting! It's lovely ground and a hunters paradise!

My greatest memory of Burgess is the night he killed the PG. I was hunting out in Iowa and he called me pretty late. I wasn't the first call he made but it made my night that he called me at all. The phone ID'd Burgess, and I knew immediately he did it! He opened with "Well Buckaroo, I think I did it". Once he told the tale, I knew that he had :) We both had a long night...he texted me fairly early the next morning that he, Bob B, Yohon and few others had found the buck in the beans right where he thought he would be!!! I'm grinning just sitting here thinking about it!!!
Bob Palmer

Postby Hornseeker » Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:24 pm

:lol:
Hornseeker

Postby Fuzzy Dog » Sat Oct 03, 2015 9:20 pm

I finally got to the point that I could read all of this. When I first saw the message from Yohon that Burgess had died, I felt like I'd just been kicked by a mule.

He and I had been talking about getting together in November to hunt his place and, as he put it, to have some serious conversation about getting old, the end of the trail, women and other such vexing things at the Waterman's Inn in Crisfield.

He and I had some amazing conversations that started at dinner there and wound on into the night. He was, and I think sometimes justifiably, concerned that some of our political or religious discussions, if heard by our fellow diners, might lead to us having to fight our way out of the Inn, but it never quite got that far. A long conversation with Burgess was, at least for me, an incredible amount of fun. It was kind of like playing jazz with the two of us riffing off of what the other was saying and carrying it on and on into the night. One time we had planned to leave his house at 4:00 to get to the stands, but were still talking at 2:30. Fortunately, having some modicum of sense we went to sleep and hunted that evening. Another time we started watching Gunsmoke and by the time we ready to turn in James Arness had killed more people than I think died in Vietnam. He loved old Westerns.

He had a lot of advice on archery and on women especially. Most of it. although delivered with the best of intentions, was really bad, but generally pretty hilarious. His shooting style was something only he could do - launching what amounted to rebar out of that twisted limb Chastain he so loved. His shot was good for a lot of deer, but didn't fare as well on the 3D course. He wavered on how much he cared about the latter, but he came to Baltimore every year, had a great time and made a great time for a lot of the rest of us.

I'll miss the hunts at his farm we'll never have, but even more I'll miss the conversations we won't have and the great friend that I'll never see again. To give you an idea how close we got over the years I knew him, he and I drove a U-Haul truck from Philadelphia to Austin with one of my daughter's furniture in it and her car on a trailer behind it and were still friends and probably better friends at the end of it. Probably the only thing I won't miss about him is that god awful noise he called music that he played on long distance drives.

Burgess, you were truly a unique and wonderful man. Those of us who were privileged to know you, to hunt with you, to shoot with you at Baltimore, or try to decipher some of your stream of conscious writing on POA have lost a good friend and a good man. You had a unique eye for light and color in your photography, a curiosity about what made the universe work and a fascination with physics. You loved good dogs and good horses, and all kinds of women, but first and foremost you loved your woods and bow hunting. We will all miss you. Vaya entre las estrellas, Compadre.
"Now I'm generally a mild mannered, live and let live kind of guy, but any fucking snake that gets between me and my coffee pot is just buckin' to be a hat band." The Topcamp Chronicles.

Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.
Fuzzy Dog

Postby Yohon » Sun Oct 04, 2015 6:33 am

Good stuff guys....just some things I ran across
2008!!!!
Them dang hip boots...
wore out at Baltimore :lol:
Welcome to the USSA
Yohon

Postby Hornseeker » Sun Oct 04, 2015 9:55 am

Thank you Paul and thank you Yo...
Hornseeker

Postby Lee Vivian » Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:29 am

I was just leaving work when I read Yohon's email about Burgess, and I still have not been able to fully get my arms around it all.....

While my friendship with Burgess was mainly seeing and visiting with him every May at Baltimore, we also communicated via text messages and emails...I never got to visit or hunt his farm...something I regret....

Most of our conversations were not archery or hunting related.....

We both shared a love of photography....and I enjoyed our constant "Nikon vs Canon" ribbing...I only wish I could be half the photographer he was....my most cherished email was when I sent him one of my calendars featuring my photos, and he emailed me to "keep taking photos, you have a keen eye"' but then typical Burgess, he added "for someone using a Canon!"

We shared nutrition and fitness info, and his damn Tabata has caused me more sweat than most of my workouts....

I have several books that he had recommended, and our discussions about life in general were always intriguing, although I struggled at times to grasp his views......

So, my relationship with Burgess was a little different than many here, but there will be a void that will not be filled....

His physical violence threat when I gave him two empty pie boxes and hid the mincemeat pies one year....priceless!

Like everyone here, I will miss the man, and will continue to bring mincemeat pies to Baltimore....just seems like the right thing to do.......

R.I.P. Buckaroo, hope you, the Chastain, and Trixter are having a great hunt!
Too many freaks, not enough circuses....
Lee Vivian

PreviousNext

Return to Board index

Return to Everything archery