Skip to content

POA will NEVER be the same again

This is a general discussion forum where any archery related topics are welcome.

Re: POA will NEVER be the same again

Postby Yohon » Thu Oct 01, 2015 6:02 am

Good stuff E...good stuff.....I know B had me laughing my ass off the day he told the story of him and your Dad and the arguments they had....how he told your Dad "stop the truck Im getting out"....realized he was in the middle of no where and your Dad was driving and your Dad left him :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I did find out this AM that they did cremate him but had no plans yet for what they would do with the ashes. I know Burgess wanted to be dumped down Hells Canyon in ID near those towering cedar's he always talked a bout..........
Welcome to the USSA
Yohon

Postby Yohon » Thu Oct 01, 2015 6:05 am

BTW if anyone is so inclined I also hear that you can send cards etc to B's home address and his brother lives next to him and will check his mail box for cards etc and keep them/forward them to the family

B. Blevins
29260 Revells Neck Rd
Westover MD 21871
Welcome to the USSA
Yohon

Postby Hornseeker » Thu Oct 01, 2015 8:19 am

Yep... Here I am managing the two of them... Trying to get a job done and they are fighting over stupid shit... Couple friggin grade schoolers... Lmao

F... Still can't believe he's gone.

I don't know who all knows about his wishes... For his ashes... But I would make time to be a part of it.

E
It FEELS GOOD to USE WOOD!
Chuck Norris puts the laughter in manslaughter.
Hornseeker

Postby tjdeerslayer37 » Thu Oct 01, 2015 9:14 am

Damn ernie, sounds like some great and unforgettable times.
Save a tree, shoot a buck

>>------------->
tjdeerslayer37

Postby Bob Palmer » Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:02 pm

Hey folks...haven't been here in awhile. But I wanted to share with Friends of Burgess info I shared about him with friends of mine. I sent the following email with a picture of Burgess and the PG to friends that I know:

"The attached is of a good friend of mine, Burgess Blevins. He passed away yesterday. He was a little over 70! He was out in the woods checking scrapes and trail cams. He was the most hardcore trophy hunter I ever met. To the point he had some very off the wall tactics! In other areas of his life, he was a rock star! He was a world famous photographer long before anyone with a digital camera could get in the game! He had some iconic magazine prints for DuPont, Remington and a lot of the top sporting companies of the 70 through the 90s.

He hunted the buck in the picture for more years than I thought possible! He learned a ton! The dance was fun to watch! He killed the deer when it was officially aged at like 10.5 years old! We met through a mutual friend years ago but we became closer when he first started hunting the buck (called the Pine Ghost). We strategized about the buck, compared notes, scouted and I gave him all that I knew about big deer on the Eastern Shore. Which, really, isn’t that much!

I never deer hunted with Burgess….it’s a personal rule but I like to hunt “my” deer, not someone else’s. I wish now that I had! He was a wonderful character and I enjoyed his company! I should have found more excuses to visit! We turkey hunted together some but he hated it and didn’t like getting up early! Might have been one of the reasons he didn’t kill the PG sooner 

The year he killed the PG (2013), he mostly stayed out of the woods until November. Then he and a friend saw the deer at noon one day and he got a picture of the buck in a small pine patch behind his house. Over the years, the pines were the bucks favorite bedding area. It might have been 20 acres. Burgess waited until the wind was where he wanted it, slipped into a pre-hung stand and killed the buck as it left the pines following a doe. Oddly enough, it sounds like Burgess passed away yesterday in the bucks bedding area.

The story of the Pine Ghost was in North American Whitetail a few month back. Its’ a decent read but the author could have done better. It was a once in a lifetime story!!! Burgess’ version was MUCH better! Especially when he told it!

Burgess lost his drive to hunt the last few years. He never felt there was a buck to replace the PG and if there was, he wouldn’t live long enough to finish the dance. Last I talked Burgess a week or so ago, he was really gearing up for this year and sounded more into it! We were going to chase does down that way on his farm or mine. I really think he was getting excited!

In the end, it’s how he would have wanted to go! In the pines. Peaceful and fast! And during a blood moon (he was fanatical about hunting based on the moon!!!). I’m a little envious of his exit strategy!!!

God’s speed Burgess! I miss you already!!!"
Bob Palmer

Postby Bob Palmer » Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:03 pm

Also, for those interested, the link below is Burgesses Dropbox with some of his photo's. I have a few he has given me over the years, but non more special that the pic he took of the PG down the ditch behind the house. It means even more to me now!!

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/fk0n6q92933tqfm/NzKXo86PNR
Bob Palmer

Postby MOUNTER » Thu Oct 01, 2015 1:17 pm

Only new knew TC from this web site, but could tell he was a hell of a man. These are the words he told me when my father died a couple years ago

............................ "Here's to his next hunt in a new universe.." ............

Seems fitting. Happy hunting TC.!

"Wore an inch off" ... That's priceless. lol
MOUNTER

Postby Hornseeker » Thu Oct 01, 2015 2:53 pm

Thank you Bob.
Hornseeker

Postby Yohon » Fri Oct 02, 2015 5:41 am

"Oddly enough, it sounds like Burgess passed away yesterday in the bucks bedding area."

Yep....I looked it up on google earth and looks like he passed laying on the ground with 100 yards of where PG fell and 15 yards in front of the stand where he shot the Pine Ghost.....kinda fitting I'd say....
Welcome to the USSA
Yohon

Postby Hornseeker » Fri Oct 02, 2015 6:40 am

What day did he go on? Just curious.
Hornseeker

PreviousNext

Return to Board index

Return to Everything archery