Skip to content

Limb construction can make a "big" difference

This is a general discussion forum where any archery related topics are welcome.

Limb construction can make a "big" difference

Postby Jim Casto Jr » Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:34 am

Deer season starts the end of next month and I've been playing around with a few different setups.

We've all heard that there's not much difference (fps) between low-end and high-end limbs. I thought I'd chrono a couple outfits just to compare where I was with them. I found out there can be BIG difference in limbs.

First: 46# Samick wood/glass limbs
Second: 41# TradTech Carbon Extreme limbs

While the 41" limbs are 5#'s lighter, they shot threw the chronograph 5 fps faster than the 46# limbs. Same arrow, same string. I couldn't believe it, and if someone had told, I would have doubted it. No brainer on which limbs to shoot. :^)

Anyone want a set of Samick wood/glass limbs? ;)
"Archery is really very simple. You just have to do the exact same thing on every shot"
Bill Leslie, July 22, 2017

"Form is everything."
Al Cole, June 7, 2008
Jim Casto Jr

Re: Limb construction can make a "big" difference

Postby Stykshooter » Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:50 am

The other side of the coin Jim,

Several of us have migrated away from the carbon extreme limbs in the last year or so and back to the glass/wood limbs. In doing the same sort of testing with a chronograph that you did, I generally pick up 3-5 f.p.s. with the higher end limbs when everything is set up the same. But.... it is infinitely easier to get the glass/wood limbs hunting quiet. I have set up two bows exactly the same... same riser, same weight, same string make up and same arrow. Trying everything in my trick book, I have to struggle to get the carbon extreme limbs anywhere near as quiet as the glass/wood limbs are with no work.

I have had several friends that thought their ILF bows were quiet. All we have done is pull the carbon extreme limbs off and install a set of glass/wood limbs and with the same string and arrow, then notice an appreciable reduction in bow noise.

As I am predominantly a hunter, I will give up 5 f.p.s. if it renders a bow set up that is noticeably quieter. I shoot most of my deer inside of 15-20 yards anyway, so speed isn't that much of an issue. All of my hunting ILF bows now wear the inexpensive Black Max glass/wood limbs.

Ask Yohon about it as he went through the same thing recently. He showed up in Ohio thinking that he had a quiet hunting set up. He came home and did some reconfiguring and I believe he is shooting the glass/wood limbs now.

So I do agree, but from a different perspective... Limb construction can make a "big" difference!
You can tell a lot about a woman's mood just by her hands. If they are holding a gun, she's probably angry.
Stykshooter

Postby Jim Casto Jr » Sun Aug 30, 2015 9:00 am

Not discounting that these particular wood/glass limbs could be dogs. Interesting that you've found so much difference in the noise. I've not had any problems getting these BM Carbons Extreme's hunting quiet--at least enough to suit me. That's not been the case with other limbs I've shot.
"Archery is really very simple. You just have to do the exact same thing on every shot"
Bill Leslie, July 22, 2017

"Form is everything."
Al Cole, June 7, 2008
Jim Casto Jr

Postby Stykshooter » Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:43 am

I'll be the first to admit that I am over the top anal about getting my bows as quiet as possible.
You can tell a lot about a woman's mood just by her hands. If they are holding a gun, she's probably angry.
Stykshooter

Postby Yohon » Mon Aug 31, 2015 7:26 am

Im anxious to try a pair of the newer BM carbon extreme's but it's been a no doubt kinda thing when comparing my Titan/BF's and the Black Magic and wood/glass limbs....Im hunting with the BM its that much quieter! If I get out with Gino I was taking the Titan because of the heavier weight/arrow combo, I mean its not loud by any stretch but when I shoot the Titan and pick up the BM its very obvious! I'm not sure if its the phenolic in the BM riser and/or the wood/glass limbs or I just got lucky or what but I'm half scared to shoot it cause I'm afraid of messing it up LOL!!!! Interesting too in that the arrow weights on both combo's is similar (gr per lb) yet my point on isnt off by more than a yard or two so I don't see a lot of performance loss but I havent put it thru a chronograph and probably wont because it'll be too slow and I'll want to change things because of the number I see :lol:
Welcome to the USSA
Yohon

Postby BEN MAHER » Mon Aug 31, 2015 2:50 pm

I had a new set of wood glass TT limbs turn up last week from lancaster - a spare pair of 45#'s to match my Extreme's for the NZ trip [ ;saving next monday ]

threw them on and shot a few arrows ...

yep - they sure are a tad quieter ...

I'd quite happily get buried with my Titan and BF Extreme's ... and it also annoys me how well these wood glass limbs shoot...so much money and so much time farting around and $200 gets me where i need to be.But drawing those BF's is a fine experience.

Love my BF's ... and would be happy with wood glass versions [ and I agree with Randy - they are a bit quieter ] coz they'll shoot better than me and TP arse everyday of the week
BEN MAHER

Postby Gino Bruno » Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:41 pm

Yohon, I think the riser can play nearly as big of a roll in sound as the limbs do. Phenolic is very dead when it comes to sound where aluminum is.... Well.... Metallic. Some woods are significantly louder than others when used in a riser. The harder less oily the wood, the louder it is. For instance Macassar (my favorite) resonates the sound more than bacote even though they are both very hard. Bacote is much more oily. Both are louder than maple.

If quiet materials are used in the limbs, then the riser material is not so important but still a factor. Carbon just seems to have a louder metallic ring to it. It usually takes less core material to produce a similar weight carbon limb. That means that the material (wood or foam) that helps deaden the sound is reduced as a percentage of the limb. thus you have a louder limb.

Here is the kicker.... I have 2 Titans. One has 52lb medium BF extremes and the other has 43lb long BF extremes. The 43lber has a ton of silencing material on the string and limbs and is average at best for sound. The 52lb bow has nothing but wool puffs on the string and is the quietest recurve I have ever shot. Go figure.
Gun Control - A theory espoused by some monumentally stupid people; who claim to believe, against all logic and common sense, that a violent predator who ignores the laws prohibiting them from robbing, raping, kidnapping, torturing and killing their fellow human beings will obey a law telling them that they cannot own a gun.
Gino Bruno

Postby BEN MAHER » Sat Oct 24, 2015 3:35 pm

I had a bit of extra cash laying around so I bought some spare sets of limbs for my Titan - baby brothers n' sisters to my BF Extremes ... same specs but in wood glass .

Did about of pre - pre season scouting yesterday with the intention of maybe an overnighter - but way too hot already and the snakes are out with a vengeance , even this early ...

But I shot in my new Wood Glass limbs ... and man are they quiet . Feels like my shafts are almost shooting a tad weak even though specs are the same - but it is uber quiet ... like a mouse's fart thats reading a novel in the wee hrs on the dark side of the moon... just the dullest of nothing .

May just get me another set Image
BEN MAHER

Postby Yohon » Sun Oct 25, 2015 6:43 am

Interesting observations Ben.....cool picture too mate ;)
Welcome to the USSA
Yohon

Postby Hank » Thu Oct 29, 2015 11:46 am

On recurves, the load on the string might make a difference. On Aaron's Black Sheep and Firefly risers, the limb angle was tilted up a tad more and made for a very quiet bow.
a genetically modified by aliens life form, known as Hank
Hank

Next

Return to Board index

Return to Everything archery