Skip to content

Full metal jacket

This is a general discussion forum where any archery related topics are welcome.

Full metal jacket

Postby tjdeerslayer37 » Wed Aug 19, 2015 3:48 am

Anybody shoot the easton fmj arrows? Any opinions? I usually shoot cheap carbons like the cabelas brand or whatever cause I break a lot :oops: but ive got some cabelas cash saved up and need some arrows and id like to bump my arrow weight up a bit.
Save a tree, shoot a buck

>>------------->
tjdeerslayer37

Re: Full metal jacket

Postby Fuzzy Dog » Wed Aug 19, 2015 7:35 pm

I know a guy here who shot GT for a long time and then got hold of some FMJ's. Shot them for a couple of days and couldn't get rid of the GT's fast enough. He says the FMJ's not only measure more consistently on a spine tester, but they shoot more consistently and more accurately. His 3D scores are usually in the 250-275 range depending on whether he's having a good day or a better one.
"Now I'm generally a mild mannered, live and let live kind of guy, but any fucking snake that gets between me and my coffee pot is just buckin' to be a hat band." The Topcamp Chronicles.

Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.
Fuzzy Dog

Postby BEN MAHER » Thu Aug 20, 2015 3:57 am

Really good shafts .
BEN MAHER

Postby AHC » Thu Aug 20, 2015 8:45 am

I've never tried them out of a stick bow. Out of a compound...it's about how far you want to stick in the dirt on the other side of your deer. Smaller diameter, heavier weight = awesome penetration.
AHC

Postby tjdeerslayer37 » Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:24 am

Im liking what I'm hearing and seeing elsewhere except for some peoples' concerns with the hit inserts, seems to be a lot of guys that push them in when hitting something hard and mushrooming the shaft pretty easy.
Save a tree, shoot a buck

>>------------->
tjdeerslayer37

Postby MOUNTER » Thu Aug 20, 2015 12:07 pm

Buddy of mine(compound shooter) used to love them. The 2 things he didn't like... The price and If you ding they outer surface they are no longer straight. That's the best thing about regular carbons, they're straight or they're broke.

I've shot GT for years and really have no problem with them, but want to try these tapered Carbons.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q ... sRpLCOqDuQ
MOUNTER

Postby Tom in San Diego » Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:46 am

I foot my Axis shafts which also use the Hit inserts. I have hit rocks, metal re-bar and other hard surfaces and have not splinter a shafts yet. I use 1916 alum shaft material about 1 1/2 inches long. I use a slow cure epoxy that is used to assemble golf shafts to the heads. The glue is made to take schock.
Tom in San Diego

Postby Marcb » Thu Oct 01, 2015 7:38 pm

The Axis shafts are some darn good shafts. I shot them in tournaments for a while until upgrading to X10s. Tough as nails. The resin has carbon nanotubes in it. Should be at least 20% stronger.
Marcb

Postby Gino Bruno » Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:01 pm

TJ I've used the FMJs for years and love them. Great penetration on critters, really tough and most importantly, they are ultra quiet on any rest material when drawing.
Gun Control - A theory espoused by some monumentally stupid people; who claim to believe, against all logic and common sense, that a violent predator who ignores the laws prohibiting them from robbing, raping, kidnapping, torturing and killing their fellow human beings will obey a law telling them that they cannot own a gun.
Gino Bruno

Return to Board index

Return to Everything archery