Skip to content

got some new broadheads

This is a general discussion forum where any archery related topics are welcome.

got some new broadheads

Postby mike robin » Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:56 am

just got some TUFFHEAD broad heads and i'm totaly impressed--by far the most durable looking head i've ever seen
i can usually nit-pic something!!--and i can't find a flaw-really nice!!and super sharp-outa the pack!!
i'll get some pics up tonight
chicks dig me
mike robin

Re: got some new broadheads

Postby Yohon » Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:22 am

Amazing what kinda broadheads are coming out nowadays. I saw a few You tube clips of "Kingwouldbe" killin hogs and his setup and he was using those heads and they are wicked lookin. Look forward to your pixs.

Are they "Silverflame" kinda sharp?
Welcome to the USSA
Yohon

Postby Stykshooter » Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:33 am

Interesting story on them in this months Traditional Bowhunter magazine. Looking at all the work that goes into the it is surprising they dont cost $150.00 each.
You can tell a lot about a woman's mood just by her hands. If they are holding a gun, she's probably angry.
Stykshooter

Postby mike robin » Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:39 am

Yohon wrote:

yep--that sharp---shave --i mean plow hair off yer arm sharp!they came with band-aids!!
my first impression was flyin machete--at .080"thick they should last too!!
chicks dig me
mike robin

Postby mike robin » Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:49 pm

here
inserts
field points
and the band=aids
chicks dig me
mike robin

Postby Stykshooter » Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:02 pm

Oops! I received several e-mails from guys who were having trouble locating that article in TBM. Well, I just went back and found it... in the Spring 2012 issue of TradArchers World. Wrong magazine. Joe Furlong has a four page article on his thought process and the process of making the TuffHead broadheads. There was a lot of thought and testing that went into the development of the head. Some points that stood out to me... The ferrule is full length of the head to increase rigidity and prevent it from bending.... Is comes pre sharpened and is cryogenically sharpened. I am a believer of the cryogenic process in quality knife blades but the TuffHead is the only broad head that I am aware of that uses it. The head is made from 420HC STAINLESS steel. This is one of the high carbon stainless steels and has the benefits of the corrosion resistance of stainless, but sharpening properties of carbon steel. The heads are also coated with a low coefficient of friction ceramic coating.

He designed his head in 225 and 300 grain weights to make it easier for guys to achieve 25-30% FOC on their arrows. It is a single bevel design and accomplishes one complete revolution in 16 inches of flesh.

Basically he designed a broad head that, unless you loose it, you will probably never have to replace. One thing that kind of concerns me jumping on the TuffHead bandwagon though. Joe came up with his design and started making heads after he retired. He is pretty much a one man shop and he is currently 73 years of age.

There are some pretty cool photos of hogs and moose with Tuffhead holes in them in the article.
You can tell a lot about a woman's mood just by her hands. If they are holding a gun, she's probably angry.
Stykshooter

Postby mike robin » Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:00 am

i was testing with the 200g inserts and 300 g last evening--and it was all favorable--this by far the most FOC i have ever experimented with and i was bare shafting out to 35yds--that felt good--- i noticed that i lost about 5yds from my point on distance---and that didn't seem like much to me and not that hard to re-learn---the most notable change was the penetration [i know its not a deer!] i have a layered cardboard target and sometimes bury the 29"arrow half way--well this arrow was going to 27-28 "--of course it is 260g heavier
chicks dig me
mike robin

Postby southpawshooter » Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:11 am

Wow, they look very well made. Should put a hurting on game! What stykshooter said about the owner is a concern. Might have to throw down some stock.......
>>>-----> Scott Frost
southpawshooter

Postby WillScarlet » Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:55 am

mike robin wrote:
Yohon wrote:

yep--that sharp---shave --i mean plow hair off yer arm sharp!they came with band-aids!!
my first impression was flyin machete--at .080"thick they should last too!!

Is the suture kit sold seperately! :lol:
WillScarlet

Postby Yohon » Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:39 pm

Whats not to like when a company sends band aid's with the broadheads!!!!!!!!!!!!! 8-)
Welcome to the USSA
Yohon

Next

Return to Board index

Return to Everything archery