Skip to content

More Unnecessary Balderdash

This is a general discussion forum where any archery related topics are welcome.

Re: More Unnecessary Balderdash

Postby TommyBoy » Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:00 am

... I think I can see the blood vessels on your forehead bulging right now :lol:
Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
H. L. Mencken
TommyBoy

Postby mike robin » Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:49 pm

Is the grant he got mentioned in the book? The $285,000 the state of Alaska gave him? ...........

alaska probably gave him the grant on the condition he wouldn't make them read any more grant requests!!!

----------------------------------------------------mike
chicks dig me
mike robin

Postby MOUNTER » Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:33 pm

I'd take a $60 hooker over a book any day! :oops:
MOUNTER

Postby whump » Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:05 pm

Whump Sez; thanks for saving the rest of us from a mountain of boredom. As for the hooker, I never could justify sticking a 50 cent peter in a 100 dollar coochie, economics 101. But how about that hot babe in that flower commercial this valentines day ?
I have climbed and clawed from the pits of merciless persecution and suffered the tortures of the damned ,only to be thrust head first into what can be best described as organized confusion.
whump

Postby Fuzzy Dog » Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:31 pm

Just out of curiosity, what's "Necessary Balderdash?"
"Now I'm generally a mild mannered, live and let live kind of guy, but any fucking snake that gets between me and my coffee pot is just buckin' to be a hat band." The Topcamp Chronicles.

Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.
Fuzzy Dog

Postby LBR » Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:45 pm

It's poking fun at jack (b.) harrison's book title, "Traditional Bowyer, More Unnecessary Fun". Evidently it wasn't supposed to be the first book released (based on the title), but oh well.

Where's our #1 jack (b.) harrison groupie?
LBR

Postby Bender » Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:42 pm

I probably should have apologized right from the start, but I really had no idea what I had until I got it cut pasted and psoted. Its so frigging long just because there was such a wealth of material to work with. That and I felt that some of the "stuff "being thrown around did require a little a more background info. After all nobody is born knowing math and physics. A fact that Mr. Harrison has successfully capitalized on.
BTW the grant from the state of Alaska is mentioned, however the actual amount isn't.
So let's see, so far,
Myths, Misconceptions, Misinformation, and Con Jobs: 2;
Truth: 0.
Its a little early to say for sure, but am I detecting a trend?
Bender

Postby WillScarlet » Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:50 pm

In the past, I've actually considered buying this book because of all the hype and build-up. But the price always
prohibited me. Thank you for saving me the money that I might have blown! :lol:
WillScarlet

Postby BK in TEXAS » Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:15 pm

Bender wrote:Harrison admits to purposefully mismarking his bows. For example taking a 50# draw weight and marking it as 60# or 60# and marking it at 70#. Supposedly he did this to satisfy customers who wanted to brag about shooting high draw weights. All I can say that all those folks who claim their Harrison bow is so incredibly smooth drawing it feels like its 10# lighter maybe ought to actually put their bow on a scale and measure it.

Brilliant idea! Starting tomorrow I'm going to be building the smoothest "100" lb bows ever made. :twisted: :twisted:
Hooked on Phonics......Helping kids read gooder since 1970.

http://www.NorthlandGameCalls.com
BK in TEXAS

Postby Hornseeker » Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:22 am

Good God Bender... I didn't think I'd make it through your review... but I ended up finishing and liking it more and more as I went! Good job!

#1... in your cut and pastes...put some more spaces and paragraph breaks...or ... lots of ........ to break up the text. Please!

#2... I had the book for about 5 months and picked through it a bit. I was building quite a few bows at the time and thought maybe I'd get something useful from it. I was wrong.

#3... you know... EFFECTIVELY... related to bow performance...he's onto something about the draw length being associated with the length from brace to full draw, as thats where the power of the bow comes from. Raise your brace height and "generally" see your arrow speed drop. Not a "rule", but generally true. I think I'll stick with AMO...

#4... lack of lateral stability in the limbs WILL make the bow harder to tune, unless maybe you shoot with a release. A torsionally stable limb will induce less "wobble" on the string/arrow. The stable limb will keep the string more "stable"?? for lack of a better term this morning. While a non-stable limb will undulate and let the string travel more left and right after the release.

#5... Stack has very little to do with limb materials, but geometry.... as you say. However, be careful... as a bow with a long, static tip can have a low string angle at the nock yet stack like a 44DD....

#7... "Harrison admits on page 120 that he has lost count of the number of broken bows returned to him that he decided were overdrawn. Given a failure to understand draw length, brace height, elasticity, I guess we really shouldn’t be surprised should we?"... now that is some funny shit. (unless you were one of the guys he accused of overdrawing the bow and maybe didn't give him a new one??!)

#8... "“c” represents the speed of light"... I think O.L. already patented using the speed of light as a measure of arrow speed for his ACS bows. (sorry OL...Im really not a hater)

#9... "using a Flemish Twist string on his bows will void his warranty." WTF???

#10..."Using this “method” of a variable constant, plus not even actually calculating efficiency by dividing delivered kinetic energy by stored energy, the industry standard method, he manages to get bows that are operating at up 197.3% efficiency! Holy Crap! Forget being a bowyer! He’s discovered perpetual motion and over unity power generation!" ...OK...now that is some Really REALLY funny shit!!

#11..."Harrison admits to purposefully mismarking his bows. For example taking a 50# draw weight and marking it as 60# or 60# and marking it at 70#. Supposedly he did this to satisfy customers who wanted to brag about shooting high draw weights.".... Damn....

#12..."Harrison discusses how to shoot a bow. Its one of the better parts of the book as he manages to go 8 pages without actually saying anything.".... LMFAO

He definitely came off as a narcissistic wind bag in the book. Does the phrase "Baffle them with Bullshit" ring a bell here?
It FEELS GOOD to USE WOOD!
Chuck Norris puts the laughter in manslaughter.
Hornseeker

PreviousNext

Return to Board index

Return to Everything archery