Skip to content

Tuning an ILF

This is a general discussion forum where any archery related topics are welcome.

Re: Tuning an ILF

Postby Keener » Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:13 pm

Yohon wrote:Try it at the upper end of the brace height recommendation.....

I'm a 1/4" over that now.

Can anyone explain tiller and time for me? I know WHAT tiller is, but how should I set it? I have mine even top and bottom.
I have no clue about timing the limbs. I see terms like positive and negative tiller, but don't know how to apply that. Positive to what?

I shoot split finger right now. Might switch to three under later on.

I really like this bow. I plan to use it in 3D next year. I just want it shooting as best I can get it.
Quiet is nice, too. ;)

Sorry if I'm a pain in the ass with all the questions. I really do try to research for myself, but I can't always find what I'm looking for.
Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once!
Keener

Postby Jim Casto Jr » Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:30 pm

Sounds like you may have a tiller (timing) issue.

Imagine a wall with two doors on it. You slam both doors shut and one closes a split-second before the other. Guess what happens? The wall shakes and the force and timing of the doors closing will determine how much the wall shakes.

The idea is to have both doors (limbs) closing at the same time to get the least amount of vibration on the wall (bow).

Measuring tiller: Using a bow square, measure the distance at the top of the riser, from the limb to the string, then measure from the bottom of the riser from the limb to the string. For a split-finger shooter you should probably start at a 1/8" positive tiller. That is the distance at the top of the riser should be 1/8" longer than the bottom measurment.

At that point, you can literally play with that distance until the bow settles down and you can "feel" when those doors (limbs) are closing at the same time. :)

We're all different and one fellow doesn't hold the bow "just" like the next. Sometimes if you pay real close attention, you can feel if the top limb is stronger or weaker when drawing the bow. If the top limb is stiff you can feel pressure in the top of your palm. Same goes for the lower limb. When you draw, you want to feel equal pressure in your palm. Don't get hung up on any of that, some guys can never feel it. :mrgreen:

Good luck to you. All the reports I've read about that riser have been positive.
"Archery is really very simple. You just have to do the exact same thing on every shot"
Bill Leslie, July 22, 2017

"Form is everything."
Al Cole, June 7, 2008
Jim Casto Jr

Postby Keener » Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:08 am

Thanks, Jim! That cleared it up for me.
I will play with the adjustments a little and see what happens.
Keener

Postby BEN MAHER » Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:07 am

Let us know how you go ...
I have one Titan that is quiet as anything , another , same specs that is louder.

I tuned mine years ago based on Randy and Marc’s recommendations . I shoot split but have had good results with a near even tiller...
BEN MAHER

Postby Mann » Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:33 pm

Keener wrote:Thanks, Jim! That cleared it up for me.
I will play with the adjustments a little and see what happens.

Jim Casto Jr has slammed a lot of doors in his day! Best there is at tuning these things! ;)
Mann

Postby Keener » Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:51 pm

Time for a little update:
THE BOW IS QUIET(er)!

Okay, it's not one piece longbow quiet, but wow. What a difference!
The twang is gone. The noise is more of a thud now. It's also vibration free. Zero. Nada. Dead in the hand.I'm happy.

What I did:
1) Set tiller to 1/8" positive. The twang was still there, but a little better. I went to 3/16" and it got a little worse. SO I stayed at 1/8.
2) I read about limb alignment and watched a couple how to videos. Checked mine and it was off what seemed to be quite a bit. The string was way left of center. I trued them up and shot an arrow. This single adjustment made the biggest difference, I think.
3) I dropped the brace to 7". I shot a few arrows, twisted the string a few times, shot again. Repeated this until I was very happy with the sound. I ended up with a brace of 7 7/16". That's the sweetspot for this set up.

I ordered a dozen Beman ICS Bowhunters in 340 spine. I think they'll tune just fine to this bow.
I plan to use this rig for the Western Carolina Archery Circuit 3D tourney. I'm really liking it.

Thanks for the help, y'all. I mean it.
Proud to be a pirate. :D
Keener

Previous

Return to Board index

Return to Everything archery