Skip to content

Marc and Tim's excellent adventure

This is a general discussion forum where any archery related topics are welcome.

Marc and Tim's excellent adventure

Postby superkodiak38 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:10 pm

A little over 2 years ago Marc and I were talking at the Baltimore shoot and I told him I wanted to do an elk hunt, he said he would go and since that time I have been reading, researching, buying gear including a new bow ;) and waiting for the day to come, well 15 days and a wake up and I will be on the road to Wisconsin and then on to Colorado with Marc.

You can really get caught up in all the gear hype, and all the forums that tell you do this, don't do that, buy this, that's crap don't think about using it, it can be overwhelming. Since I had two years to slowly acquire gear I was able to buy things at the right time, wait for sales, try things, return things, get some time using things to become familiar with them and weed out what will and won't work. I have de hydrated food, bought food, calorie counted, revised gear lists, re-revised those lists and tried to work out systems that will work for me and be up to the task.

I have been hiking with a 50 pound sand bag, driving to the mountains to get some work on different terrain, humping a pack. On the days I can't make the woods I hit the gym and the treadmill on a 15% grade. I've got my broadheads picked and flying true and feel very confident out to 40 yards.

I sent a gear list out to Marc and Randy last week to get some feed back. I've trimmed a few things and added a few as well. I am almost done sorting things out. Today I decided to see how, and if, all that crap was going in the pack and where, well that's a whole 'nuther nut to crack ! :roll: I'll add some pictures later on as time permits and things develop. Hopefully Marc will add to this and we can keep the Pirate Crew informed once we roll out and get the hunt started, best intentions anyhow !

Here's 14 days of food and gear

Here it is in the pack, only 5 days of food in the pack

When you take your kid hunting and he says thank you and tells you how much he loves being in the woods with you, your day just isn't going to get any better than that.
superkodiak38

Re: Marc and Tim's excellent adventure

Postby Fuzzy Dog » Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:45 pm

Good luck, guys.

Tim, that's an impressive collection you have there. I hope it serves you well. Keep us posted as you go.
"Now I'm generally a mild mannered, live and let live kind of guy, but any fucking snake that gets between me and my coffee pot is just buckin' to be a hat band." The Topcamp Chronicles.

Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.
Fuzzy Dog

Postby Stykshooter » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:13 pm

I have to smile at the Spam singles! I lived for three weeks on Spam singles and rice... and a couple cut throats a day.

I know you are excited about your venture. I hope it turns out to be everything you want it to be. Like I told you, take a journal and keep good notes during the down times. It'll help to update this thread when you get back.

Be careful.... them mountains out there are addictive. Each time on my way back, I was already planning my next trip!
You can tell a lot about a woman's mood just by her hands. If they are holding a gun, she's probably angry.
Stykshooter

Postby PAarcher » Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:11 am

You are going to have an EPIC time! You look like you are about as ready as you can be. What is your final pack weight?
PAarcher

Postby superkodiak38 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:57 am

Paul, I will try and post when I can, if I can't I will try and share as much as I can we I get back home.

Randy, I contemplated the journal idea before you suggested it. I am going to pick one up and try to document the trip. I think my boys will enjoy reading it, maybe it will inspire them to do a trip like this someday themselves. I just hope I have the discipline to write a few notes each day after dragging my butt back to camp :?

Mike I have an old fish scale that is fairly accurate but it gave up the ghost, I am curious and I think with 3 liters of water and 5 days food I'll be around 40. I am sure Marc will be much lighter but he's got me kn experience and he's been a gear junky longer than me lol

I was fortunate enough to catch up to Bob Palmer when he was on this side of the bay, we met at my Moms house in Annapolis last week and spent 3 hours going over maps and talking about killing stuff with bows. He's a really nice guy and he hunted this unit last year for Mule Deer. He was willing to share some intel but he did mention a "place we won't discuss, wherever that is. :D Marc and I should be there and have a hunt or two under our belts when Bob and his son get there, we will try and team up a day or two and Bob volunteered use of the shower where he is staying if we want to stop by and use it. I am sure Marc will gladly let me :mrgreen:
When you take your kid hunting and he says thank you and tells you how much he loves being in the woods with you, your day just isn't going to get any better than that.
superkodiak38

Postby Yohon » Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:38 pm

Sounds like elk steaks at Baltimore next year!!!!!

I would think 5 days worth of food would be fine, you can come out in that time to restock. We did 3 to 4 days and them came back to the trucks to reorganize then either go back in or tried a new area.

Your gonna love it!!!!!
Welcome to the USSA
Yohon

Postby superkodiak38 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:15 am

I am trying to eat up the last of the deer we killed last year gotta neck roast and pack of backstraps thawed out right now, I told Marcia we need a new freezer anyhow so ... I don't plan on being picky. And I am sure that some of that will make it to Baltimore ;)

Yohon, I think that's probably the best option, moving until you find something smoking hot with sign or better yet tracks with elk still standing in them then spend a few days tying to get one on the ground. Time will tell and I will let Marc quarterback since he's done this before. I think being flexible and persistent is the way to go.

12 days and a wake up !
superkodiak38

Postby tjdeerslayer37 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:50 pm

Uhh guys, I'm inviting myself next go around... Very jealous!
Save a tree, shoot a buck

>>------------->
tjdeerslayer37

Postby superkodiak38 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:17 pm

tjdeerslayer37 wrote:Uhh guys, I'm inviting myself next go around... Very jealous!

We are driving TJ, get out by the highway and hold up a sign we'll be looking out for you ;)

Pretty brutal workout today, not heavy but done as a circuit for 25 minutes after 30 minutes on the treadmill, leg press until you can't then 5 more, football bar bench and barbell rows, puking was optional I decided not to :)

superkodiak38

Postby tjdeerslayer37 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:57 pm

:lol: alright, meet you out on I90
Save a tree, shoot a buck

>>------------->
tjdeerslayer37

Next

Return to Board index

Return to Everything archery