Skip to content

"Deep Hook"

This is a general discussion forum where any archery related topics are welcome.

"Deep Hook"

Postby Fuzzy Dog » Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:55 am

I was watching Masters of the Barebow 5 last night, especially Jason Wesbrock's discussion of the "deep hook" string grip. It looks very much like he's "hooking: the string in the grooves in the middle of his fingers. In other words, if you start at your fingertips, it looks like he's hooking the string into the second joint down the fingers rather than the first. Do any of you shoot that way, or am I misinterpreting what I'm seeing?
"Now I'm generally a mild mannered, live and let live kind of guy, but any fucking snake that gets between me and my coffee pot is just buckin' to be a hat band." The Topcamp Chronicles.

Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.
Fuzzy Dog

Re: "Deep Hook"

Postby Stykshooter » Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:53 am

A lot of the old photos of Howard Hill show him hooking the string in that second joint as well. I have no idea of why. I was always taught to get as little finger on the string as possible in order to get the cleanest release possible.
You can tell a lot about a woman's mood just by her hands. If they are holding a gun, she's probably angry.
Stykshooter

Postby Fuzzy Dog » Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:11 am

I asked Jason about that last night. He said with his “deep hook” the string is in the first groove on his first and second fingers and on the pad of his ring finger. In the video he started at the second knuckle groove and then rolled to his actual shooting position. He said he didn’t notice that until it was too late to edit the video so it looks like he’s shooting from the second knuckle but he’s not.
"Now I'm generally a mild mannered, live and let live kind of guy, but any fucking snake that gets between me and my coffee pot is just buckin' to be a hat band." The Topcamp Chronicles.

Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.
Fuzzy Dog

Postby Jim Casto Jr » Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:12 am

Paul,

I'm really glad you mentioned this. I've shot a couple times with Jason, and figured anything he's doing is worth trying. He's the BEST bare bow shooter I've EVER seen. I've been shooting for years with a deep hook in the first joint with all three fingers.

So... the last few days, I've placed the pad of my ring finger on the string and don't you know, I'm getting a cleaner release, my groups have tightened a bit, and my point-on at 25 yards dropped about 3"--all very good things.

Thanks for posting.
"Archery is really very simple. You just have to do the exact same thing on every shot"
Bill Leslie, July 22, 2017

"Form is everything."
Al Cole, June 7, 2008
Jim Casto Jr

Postby Fuzzy Dog » Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:20 pm

Jim,

Thanks. I've noticed a similar thing. I switched to what Jason was doing - well, my attempt at it anyway - he still has nothing to fear competitively - and noticed that my tendency to shoot to the right (I shoot LH) of where I thought I had I aimed has been reduced. Of course, I still have plenty of other ways to screw up the shot, but Jason's suggestion is definitely valuable.

paul

Fuzzy Dog

Return to Board index

Return to Everything archery