Skip to content

What is estimated value of this Bear "Type-1" takedown

A Place to Post Your Collectable Bows, Archery and Hunting Equipment

What is estimated value of this Bear "Type-1" takedown

Postby Windwalker » Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:08 pm

**I am not planning on selling this bow...ever.

I have a rare Bear bow that I know has value, but I have never been concerned with knowing what the estimated value might be. However, it is wise that I insure the bow and need an idea what value I should insure the bow for.

Description:

1969 Fred Bear "takedown" Type-1 a/k/a Generation-1. "B" riser with #2 limbs with white tip overlay. All logos, information, serial numbers, on bow are intact and vivid.

I would rate the condition as 9 out of 10. I rate the bow as a 9 because it has been used to hunt with and the riser is tapped at front of riser for sight rail. No damage and no signs of delaminating or impending problems.

Original accessories: Bear bow quiver, Bear bowfishing reel, Green limbs socks, Brown limb socks, Saunders pin sight.

History:

The beginning of the manufacturing of the Type-1 was commenced in the Fall of 1969 and only 800 "B" risers were made during the 3 year period the bow was made. Serial number on my bow riser indicates that my riser was the 24th bow manufactured out of the 800 made.

The Type-1 was not officially marketed to the public until 1970 and manufacturing ceased in 1972. However, in 1969 a limited number of the bows were sold or given to Bear dealers, and a select few. In September, 1969, this bow was given to my friend, a Bear dealer, by Fred during a dealer meeting in 1969 at Grayling, Michigan. I purchased the bow from friend sometime in the mid-summer of 1970. (It is not signed by Fred Bear).

I know there is a basic value and what an individual might pay. I also know that attempting to place a value on something not seen or just observed by photos is not the best way to assess value. However, I am soliciting just an idea, a ballpark figure, of what value I should insure the bow for.
"Teufelshunde"
Windwalker

Re: What is estimated value of this Bear "Type-1" takedown

Postby marc » Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:19 pm

In perfect condition (without the taped holes for a sight) about $1200-$1400 from what I have been seeing.
"There is a fine line between tough and stupid and I think I found it" Ken Rohloff
"I'd hit that, with my truck" Ken Rohloff
marc

Postby Jim Casto Jr » Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:30 pm

marc may be close in this market. Five years ago it would have brought that with the holes, and maybe as much a $2,000.00 without.
"Archery is really very simple. You just have to do the exact same thing on every shot"
Bill Leslie, July 22, 2017

"Form is everything."
Al Cole, June 7, 2008
Jim Casto Jr

Postby Windwalker » Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:48 pm

Who would have thunk it. I paid $100.00 for the bow. Bow had been used for just one 3-month season when I purchased it. Friend wasn't keen on 3-piece bows.
"Teufelshunde"
Windwalker

Postby 4nolz » Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:53 pm

a type 1 "C" handle (even less common) has been listed twice on ebay with buy it nows for $1100 or so and has not gotten any bidders.
there are 2 dates on your marker.Your life is the dash in between.
4nolz

Postby Jim Casto Jr » Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:56 pm

Yeah, this market seems to have taken a toll on the Type 1 stuff. I've seen a couple nice Type 1 C risers sell for $400. to $500. The "59's" seems to do very well though--go figure.
"Archery is really very simple. You just have to do the exact same thing on every shot"
Bill Leslie, July 22, 2017

"Form is everything."
Al Cole, June 7, 2008
Jim Casto Jr

Return to Board index

Return to Collectors Forum