Skip to content

Browning Cobra #45-50"

A Place to Post Your Collectable Bows, Archery and Hunting Equipment

Browning Cobra #45-50"

Postby angelstaff » Fri Oct 23, 2009 5:52 pm

Hi I bought this bow on ebay for USD 41,00 , it seems like rosewood with black phenolic but do not know, someone knows something about, has a small cut into the phenolic,? How do I fix
Thank you very much
http://cgi.ebay.es/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie ... K:MEWNX:IT

Angel
angelstaff

Re: Browning Cobra #45-50"

Postby KODIAK » Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:10 pm

Do you mean this fiberglass that is lifting? You could probably just try and superglue it back down.
Attachments
DSC04701.jpg
DSC04701.jpg (60.03 KiB) Viewed 4525 times
KODIAK

Postby angelstaff » Sat Oct 24, 2009 5:42 am

No, this
There is a small augered about 2 mm which has been in the riser in the black part, I think it is phenolic material but I'm not sure what the limbs and how to solve it, a bit of CA, ink and ready,
The wood of the riser, can be Brazilian rosewood?, I refinished, sanded completely, limbs with rattlesnake skin, reinforcing overlays with tips and cocobolo, and a high gloss finish product "that you recommend?
Image Image Image Image

Angel
angelstaff

Postby George D. Stout » Sun Oct 25, 2009 11:26 am

That doesn't look really bad but the photos don't show depth. I would fill with clear glue and let it go at that. The riser is linen micarta I believe, typical product used at that time. The wood is Brazilian Rosewood....Browning used it on just about all of their top line bows. Sweet bows that are very smooth drawing and quick on the shot. They also made that bow in a 58" model.....the Cobra II.
George D. Stout

Postby Gino Bruno » Sun Oct 25, 2009 12:30 pm

angel,
take a razor knife and cut the glass off as close to where it is lifting as possible. then sand the rest of the material that you were not able to get cut out until there is no hint of stress lines or lifting material. bevel the sanded area as much as possible so that it doesn't have a steep edge, more of a progressive "divit." using adhesives is only a temporary bandaid that will usually result in the glass lifting further as time progresses. if you sand out the area, you eliminate any of the stressed areas. cosmetically, it won't look as good, but it will be structurally MUCH more sound. if you really "feather" out the sanded area, it may not even be that noticable.

good luck!
Gun Control - A theory espoused by some monumentally stupid people; who claim to believe, against all logic and common sense, that a violent predator who ignores the laws prohibiting them from robbing, raping, kidnapping, torturing and killing their fellow human beings will obey a law telling them that they cannot own a gun.
Gino Bruno

Postby angelstaff » Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:04 am

Thanks to all, but what interests me right now is damage to the riser, small auger in phenolic, marked with a red box.
the limb is already solved, since there was no glass up, it was a Rascon, with little depth
greetings
Angel
angelstaff

Postby cst » Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:08 am

Good looking bow. Wish I could help you with the little hole in the riser.
Maybe a dutchman and ink then finish? Unfortuneatly whatever you do will likely show once you apply the finish.
cst

Postby Jim Casto Jr » Sat Dec 26, 2009 8:20 am

angelstaff,

I fixed a few of them as George described. One of them I simply lightly sanded and filled with a clear epoxy. I gave it a few days to set up, sanded it down and spray urethane over it. On another I used True-Oil. I just kept applying it until it was filled, then sanded it down. Both worked very well.
"Archery is really very simple. You just have to do the exact same thing on every shot"
Bill Leslie, July 22, 2017

"Form is everything."
Al Cole, June 7, 2008
Jim Casto Jr

Return to Board index

Return to Collectors Forum