Howatt/Martin Prototype LB

A Place to Post Your Collectable Bows, Archery and Hunting Equipment

Howatt/Martin Prototype LB

Postby Cutty » Fri Feb 27, 2009 7:40 pm

Fettucini, Linguine, Martini, Bikini...
Cutty

Re: Howatt/Martin Prototype LB

Postby Jett » Sat Feb 28, 2009 2:59 am

I like the looks of it, though the tips look a little on the thick side in the pics. I'm watching it...
"Plungers are for toilets." - Hank
Jett

Postby Howattman » Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:01 am

"Prototype" isn't really the correct term. This is a one-off version of the Bushmaster R/D longbow Howatt made in the mid 1990's. They were usually made from Shedua, but in 1998 they got a small quantity of English Yew that they used to made a very limited run bow call the Mammoth Hunter. The Mammoth Hunter was ALL YEW, and a few also had mammoth ivory overlays on the limb tips and riser. This one was made for the Martin's youngest son Terry and with the exception of the yew riser wood is a Bushmaster. I have a one-off version of the Shadow, which was kind of the Plain Jane sister to the Bushmaster. Normally the Shadow came with a dark grey/black laminated riser and black limb glass. Mine has a dark Shedua riser with Bubinga accent stripe and brown glass. I'll post a pic later......

I've had several Bushmasters over the years and they're nice little bows, but I always found them to stack a little at my 29 1/2" drawlength. I just sold two back in November as a matter of fact. This one should be no different.....I just hope the bidders don't run it up too far past what it's worth. The fact that it has Yew wood riser and was owned by Terry Martin really doesn't make it worth any more that a regular Bushmaster.
Resident Howattologist
Pirate Poet Laureate/Hardcore Defective

"Pain or damage don’t end the world, or despair or f**king beatings. The world ends when you’re dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man—and give some back.”

Howattman

Postby Cutty » Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:51 am

Great stuff as usual. I owned a Bushmaster once and liked it quite a bit, especially since I picked it up cheap. It was pretty quick, though I always though it could benefit from being trapped and having the mongo overbuilt tips thinned. I could feel it begin to stack at "28, but just a bit and it did feel like it had another inch in it. For whatever the reason it was just a bow I could shoot lights out with and since it was plain jane and bombproof, it was my toss in the back of the truck stumper. Then one camping trip I left it under my boat cover on a hot summer day-- the riser cracked. :oops: :x
Cutty

Postby Hank » Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:02 pm

Nice looking bow, almost looks like a red elm longhunter too, that style anyway.

What happened to Martin and their longbows all they really make any more are funky hybrids.
a genetically modified by aliens life form, known as Hank
Hank

Postby Howattman » Sat Feb 28, 2009 1:05 pm

Here are a few pics of two versions of the Mammoth Hunter:

e137_1.jpg
e137_1.jpg (27.69 KiB) Viewed 6214 times

e216_1.jpg
e216_1.jpg (30.05 KiB) Viewed 6213 times
Resident Howattologist
Pirate Poet Laureate/Hardcore Defective

"Pain or damage don’t end the world, or despair or f**king beatings. The world ends when you’re dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man—and give some back.”

Howattman

Postby Cutty » Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:04 am

I love the way that yew looks.
Cutty

Postby Gino Bruno » Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:01 pm

Cutty wrote:I love the way that yew looks.

that makes two of us!

i really need to go cut some since we have small stands of it where i hunt.
Gun Control - A theory espoused by some monumentally stupid people; who claim to believe, against all logic and common sense, that a violent predator who ignores the laws prohibiting them from robbing, raping, kidnapping, torturing and killing their fellow human beings will obey a law telling them that they cannot own a gun.
Gino Bruno

Return to Board index

Return to Collectors Forum