Skip to content

HC30 vs HC300

A Place to Post Your Collectable Bows, Archery and Hunting Equipment

Re: HC30 vs HC300

Postby Steve Milbocker » Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:15 pm

I really don't care about collector value, I just want to shoot nice old bows ;) George, I've watched those old Hoyts and they are like the old Widows and Jack Howards etc. they go for more money than I can spend. I keep thinking I've got a good deal on one and at the last minute the bid goes thru the roof. Those good deals are getting harder to come by. You would think that with the economy in the shape its in the prices would be going down. Does anyone know who that Ron Yates is? His name sounds familiar but I can't place him.
United States Of America
Born July 4, 1776
Died Nov. 4, 2008
Suicide
Steve Milbocker

Postby Jett » Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:36 pm

Yeah, on the whole the bows are going too high. A few months back there were two '59 Kodiaks on at the same time. One was boderline firewwood & the other was "iffy". The piece of kindling fetched over $900.00! The other went for less - not sure what but way too much.

After reading George's assesment I think I'll stay away from the HC-'s unless I can pick one up cheap. Those Hoyt's seem to go consistently on the high side. Of course there's no substitute for shooting them yourself.

I have a lot of Tigercats, I like the 1970 the best. I know George likes the '70 model too. But I don't think he, and many others, care for the resurrected 77/78 model. I do. It's my 2nd favorite Tigercat. In general, I don't care much for the late Graylings but I like that Tigercat. And the 'cats go cheap too!

I do think there is some calculated speculation going. In fact, I know there is! Some of these vendors simply have too many bows, for too high of a reserve/buy it now, listed for too long to be anything else. The overhead of listing the bows over & over or continually smells. They either got an "in" with ebay (wouldn't suprise me) or they're in a very risky venture. They've drove the prices up, but they're selling very few bows comparatively. Early on in the economic slide, prices did go down some. But as it got worse prices skyrocketed! It can't all be ignorance (though a lot of it is). And it's obvious there is some sophisticated shilling going on. Crude shilling too. I guess ebay's simply too vast to police effectively. But that's where a lot of the bows are. Some of the blame can be placed on the current production companies pricing their bows beyond what the average guy can afford. It's cheaper now to buy a new custom or a vintage bow off ebay.

I dunno. Maybe I'm just paranoid, LOL! But somethings going on that just ain't right! I like dealing with most people on ebay, but ya' gotta admit, there's some strange things going on there.
"Plungers are for toilets." - Hank
Jett

Postby KODIAK » Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:33 pm

KODIAK wrote:Steve, no I'm not going to bid on it. Usually I just like to watch. :P

It's a very nice looking bow, but imo a $275 reserve for an altered and refinished 68 Tamerlane is a little on the high side. Not horribly high, but a little. ;) But no ones opinion should sway your decision on bidding on a bow or not. Ultimately all of us are different and willing to spend more on certain bows that we really like and MUST have. :P

That Tamerlane went for $335. Shows you what I know... :?

Steve did you put a bid on it?? It was a very nice bow.
KODIAK

Postby Steve Milbocker » Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:17 am

No, his reserve was a little higher than I wanted to pay and when it hit 275 I Knew it was going to take off. Got a couple of more coming up to watch now . With the economy the way it is I'm surprised at the prices their getting.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0296709078
United States Of America
Born July 4, 1776
Died Nov. 4, 2008
Suicide
Steve Milbocker

Previous

Return to Board index

Return to Collectors Forum