Skip to content

ROOT Bows?

A Place to Post Your Collectable Bows, Archery and Hunting Equipment

ROOT Bows?

Postby Bill Grenoble » Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:29 pm

Who built the Root Targetmaster bows? I bid on one on eBay, never went back, as usual I just put in a bid as high as I would pay, and won it. 68" 32# bow, very nice shape, shoots great. Bill

http://archeryarchives.com/public2_html/R1969.htm

I did find this link to my 1969 Target Master by Ernie Root.
Bill Grenoble

Re: ROOT Bows?

Postby Dick in Seattle » Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:54 pm

I know they were built by Ernie Root... I think in the 50's to early 60's, but I'm not sure about that. That's a fancy one you have. Apparently he built a full variety. I have a Root longbow that's fascinating and I intend to build a copy. 66", with a bit of reflex to it. It has a forward riser 25" long! His hunting bows were noted for having a very tall sight window, which apparently some folks felt gave them a better view of what they were shooting. I really need to get some photos and post them. I'm liking the design because it should give me a long bow with short working limbs for some speed at my low draw weight. I'll do some googling and see if I can find out anything about Mr. Root.
Dick in Seattle

"The shop door is open, the coffee is on..."
Dick in Seattle

Postby Dick in Seattle » Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:57 pm

OK... if you google Ernie Root, archery you can get some info. 50's and 60's is right. Apparently he started out with a line called Golden Eagle Bows, then became Root Archery Research. Was bought out by Shakespeare and went to work for them.
Dick in Seattle

"The shop door is open, the coffee is on..."
Dick in Seattle

Postby Bill Grenoble » Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:51 pm

Thanks Dick, I appreciate the help. Bill
Bill Grenoble

Postby George D. Stout » Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:14 pm

Phil Grable was the mind behind the Golden Eagle, and he worked with Ernie Root. The first Shakespeare takedown riser were also built by Phil Grable. Later, Owen Jeffery made the Shakespeare risers (metal). When Phil left Shakespeare he worked on building his own bows, particularly the SST2000.
George D. Stout

Postby Jett » Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:46 pm

Bill - I shot one just about like yours at a shoot about 5 years ago. First target bow I ever shot. And man, I was impressed. I don't have a clue if it was as fast as it seemed, but for a 35# bow it had a very flat trajectory. I remember shooting it out to 35 yds better than I did with my own bow. It stuck in my mind. But I think it was 66", not sure, it might have been 68".

It was a little out of place at the trad shoot, but the guy was pretty much smoking everybody else with it.
"Plungers are for toilets." - Hank
Jett

Postby Cutty » Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:16 pm

That Grable SST2000 was U.G.L.Y, but I'll bet it was accurate as heck with that no torque grip and it's mass. All this hullabaloo we hear these day about metal riser safety, you look at that SST200 grip and it's a wonder it didn't snap-- especially since I've seen a few with heavier draw weights.
Fettucini, Linguine, Martini, Bikini...
Cutty

Postby KODIAK » Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:26 pm

Has there ever been a documented case of a machined aluminum riser actually failing??

It's incredibly rare with wood risers even.
KODIAK

Postby Jett » Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:31 pm

I've heard of the all metal bows giving in to fatigue, but I think that was all limb failure.
"Plungers are for toilets." - Hank
Jett

Postby George D. Stout » Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:37 pm

The main concern in the early days was air pockets that could form in the cast. The breakage however was nearly non-existant, and mainly occurred in all-magnesium risers. Phil's risers could handle 80+ pound limbs like Larry Bamford shot on his Grable bow. Larry was the first hunting editor for Bowhunter Magazine.
George D. Stout

Return to Board index

Return to Collectors Forum