Skip to content

So I got this old bow,,,,,,

A Place to Post Your Collectable Bows, Archery and Hunting Equipment

So I got this old bow,,,,,,

Postby jeffhalfrack » Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:59 pm

at a blanket sale, $8.00 it's a ben pearson arabian recurve #55 at 28" 4'6" long no amo #s now this things got more holes than kirks work bench!! the normal, limb mounted sights riser sights or quiver holes, all the holes are clean and can be plugged easy thats not the problem . on the botom limb on the belly side is the problem. you know how on these bows from the 60's they filed a string grove in the belly? well at the top from the string knock down an 1"1\2 the belly glass comes to a sharp point well at some time it must have lifted? someone sanded it smooth and exposed some wood I coated it w\thin ca glue this is all after it shot it a bunch of times I'm looking for a way to stabilise this thing, and would like some opinions ? I was going to patch and paint it for carp fishing but the darn thing is a heck of a shooter it may well be the fastest bow I have, so any imput would be good I'm hopeing to hear from Jim Castro so thanks guys JeffW
jeffhalfrack

Re: So I got this old bow,,,,,,

Postby Raineman » Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:16 am

Your AMO is 54" (4'6"=54"). You don't see too many of those Arabians around. If it didn't look like swiss cheese and had a good finish, it would carry some fair collectability, especially if the "Arabian" decal is in good shape.

I would add belly tip overlays for security, re-file the string grooves to match, fill the holes with epoxy, and shoot the snot out of it.
Rescuing bows one yard sale at a time.
Raineman

Postby TommyBoy » Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:57 am

Dittos. If it looks that bad, you might have a reason to get one of those hoity-toity camo dips. Since you only spent 8 bucks, what's another 70 to make it a good looking bow?
Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
H. L. Mencken
TommyBoy

Postby jeffhalfrack » Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:34 pm

guys, thanks for you advice! I make it sound bad,,, but there is 5 holes in it!! but to fill them is easy,, the tip glass could be an easy fix too. but this thing shoots an arrow like heck!!!! I'll try to get pics, but to tell you the truth,,,,,,, a scrubbing with murphys oil soap w/0000 steel wool and a coat of true-oil she wont be too bad the sticker is perfect some guy on a horse! black glass on the front and od green on the belly dose this sound like a plan ??? man this is a shooting bow!!!!!! not like any of the old recurves i've had. thanks I may need more help,,,,,,,,,$70.00 to dip???? hmmmmm jeff w
jeffhalfrack

Postby Raineman » Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:12 pm

If you dip it, I'd recommend NOT to cover that decal or the original specs. Just a thought. Like I said, you don't see too many of those, and collectors look for good decals when collecting Pearsons.
Rescuing bows one yard sale at a time.
Raineman

Postby jeffhalfrack » Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:45 pm

what length string would this 4'6" (54") arabian take??? is it minus 4" or minus 3" thanks I'm not used to pre ammo (?) numbers I patched the belly tip with fiberglass (boat tape) and smooth-on w/heat looks better than my usual skill level!!! :o I don't really need to paint the patch it didn't bother tiller,,,one hell of a shooter!!!!!! but UGLY!!!!!!!!! how about a cammo job that could come off?? any sugestions?? thanks JEFFW
jeffhalfrack

Return to Board index

Return to Collectors Forum