Skip to content

Kodiak Magnum

A Place to Post Your Collectable Bows, Archery and Hunting Equipment

Re: Kodiak Magnum

Postby kcbrown » Mon May 17, 2010 6:42 pm

Cool, The 5 on dads bow is kind of cut off but that would probably be bout right. Say that is bubbinga on the front? Yes the glass on dads is green and the other is gray. Very good, thanks for the info. I was hoping it was a 61 cause that was the year I was born.
kcbrown

Postby CZenner » Tue May 18, 2010 4:23 am

That is definatly a 1962. Here is a picture of my '61, '62, 2 '63 doglegs and a '64.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
CZenner

Postby kcbrown » Tue May 18, 2010 6:33 am

Hey there is is. Looks just like mine. 62 it is. I see now what is meant by the dog leg. Thanks guys for all the help. :D
kcbrown

Postby Jett » Tue May 18, 2010 9:05 am

Here's the '61 & '62 K-Mags from the catalouges:
1961 K-Mag.jpg
1961 K-Mag.jpg (77.65 KiB) Viewed 6583 times
1962 K-Mag.jpg
1962 K-Mag.jpg (89.94 KiB) Viewed 6583 times

Almost forgot, the '63 "dogleg":
1963 K-Mag.jpg
1963 K-Mag.jpg (87.09 KiB) Viewed 6580 times
"Plungers are for toilets." - Hank
Jett

Postby BK in TEXAS » Tue May 18, 2010 11:16 am

Very informative pictures Jett!

Did Bear have any problems with that dogleg riser?
Hooked on Phonics......Helping kids read gooder since 1970.

http://www.NorthlandGameCalls.com
BK in TEXAS

Postby Jett » Tue May 18, 2010 1:37 pm

Apparently so, it was attributed to a design flaw (hence the one year production run). Guess the doglegs (Kodiaks, K-Mags & Grizzlies) were delaminating & blowing up left & right for awhile. A lot of folks still don't trust them, but I figure the ones still around are pretty sound. I've never owned any of the doglegs, but I've shot a few & they seem to be just fine - after all, they've lasted this long. Still, I would treat them gingerly & use extra caution with them. Exploding bows are never any fun!

Bear had similar problems with the '61 Kodiaks, something to do with the bubinga not being fully cured thus causing the glass to crack. You'll see a lot of factory rehab jobs in the 61's. They are the ones stamped with a "star" & (usually) have had the serial # removed. There were at least 3 versions of the '61: a solid riser, an I-beam & another I-beam with walnut lams & a purple heart sight window, which was the last, and apparently, best version, as I have never seen any of this configuration that have been refurbished. There may be even other versions, I dunno.

I've owned (and sold/traded) two 61's - one rehabed early model & one of the last versions, both shot very well & were in nice shape, but the "grayling green" glass (a really bright, puke looking avacodo - think: bad 60's avacodo appliances) was just too much for me to handle, LOL! It really was a very unfortunate color choice - doesn't look bad in the catalouge pics but it's pretty garrish in the flesh! And again, any that are still around will probably be around for a long time to come.
"Plungers are for toilets." - Hank
Jett

Postby Raineman » Wed May 19, 2010 6:03 am

Lets see if we can put this dogleg rumor to bed.

The "dogleg paranoia" in the collector community is painted with a broad brush, and it is totally NOT warranted.

The only ones they had problems with were the "Type 1" Kodiak Magnums. If you scroll back up and look at the catalog picture Jett provided you can see the the back side "dogleg" is higher than the belly side ending lamination. There basically was not enough "meat" to the riser left to handle the stress in this configuration and they "blew up".

Bear then modified the design and went to the "Type II". This Type II is shown in the photo provided by CZenner, and is the third from the left in the picture. You can see the laminations are now even at the doglegs (from belly to back). This provided more strength. While they had less issues with this design, I guess they still had some issues and decided to alter go to the final design, the "Type III" which is shown to the right in the same photo. Here you can see how little dogleg there is in the final design.

Summary....If you find a surviving Type I, hang it on the wall. I have seen more surviving Type II's, and you could probably get away with shooting it okay, but I personally would not do it (well....maybe once just to say I did). Type III's are the most common and I'd walk around shooting those all day long.

Now, on to the other "dogleg myth".

Grizzly doglegs come in a Type I and a Type II. They never had issues with those as far as I know. I'd shoot either design without worry. A very underrated bow.

And finally, ahhhhh....the '63 Kodiak.....the "ugly duckling". These bows are just flat out awesome. They had NO issues with these either. Some people say you must acquire a taste for these bows as far as looks go, but some of them have the most beautiful fiery grain I have ever seen, and their temperament is very forgiving.

The Kodiak's reputation, and to a smaller extent the Grizzly's as well, suffered greatly from the failure of the Type I Kodiak Magnum. It is a shame that people misunderstand the mystique of the dogleg design and think it applies to ALL of the models of that design. It really did a disservice to the Kodiak of that year which I think is one of Bear's finest bows. While I would not put it up there with the performance of the '64 Kodiak or the awesome '60 Kodiak, I'd walk into the woods with one any day.

Summary II...Don't be afraid of the dogleg Kodiaks or Grizzlys or the Type III Magnum. While they may have had an odd random issue with some of them, they are for the most part a solid stable and lasting platform. If you find a surviving Type I (especially in a heavy weight) it most likely will carry a great value of collectability. The "Type I Kodiak Magnums" design flaw was the reason for the reputation.

So....there you go...fiction and fact from Raineman's almanac.
Rescuing bows one yard sale at a time.
Raineman

Postby CZenner » Wed May 19, 2010 6:23 am

Raineman is correct. I do shoot my Type III Kodiak Mag, with no problems. The Type II has never been shot or strung, that I know of. Wish I had a Type I but, after looking for the last 5 or 6 years, I can't seem to find one! Anybody got one?
CZenner

Postby kcbrown » Wed May 19, 2010 7:19 am

Wow, I am glad I asked. I cant say that I have ever seen a dogleg magnum other than in a collection. You do have to look at the type one an think "what the hell were they thinking?" A design like that would have worked with some actiowood or somthing similar and that bears out them finally going to and using an I beam construction. Lots of good info, thanks guys. :)
kcbrown

Postby BK in TEXAS » Wed May 19, 2010 7:59 am

kcbrown wrote: You do have to look at the type one an think "what the hell were they thinking?"

That was my first thought when I asked about problems; really though I think a lot of what we take for granted today, those guys were discovering for us back before we were born :shock:
Hooked on Phonics......Helping kids read gooder since 1970.

http://www.NorthlandGameCalls.com
BK in TEXAS

PreviousNext

Return to Board index

Return to Collectors Forum