Skip to content

model T doe 1975

Feel free to post your hunting pictures from years gone by.

model T doe 1975

Postby whump » Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:07 am

In case you haven't noticed I have shot a lot of frontal and Q2 shots thru the years and this is the only deer I have ever shot from the ground. I put on a stalk that day , had just enough wind to cover my steps and I shot her on a green field at 40yds. That bow is a jennings model T , 55lb and the arrows are 2016,s the broadhead was a Missell spike that I had filed down a second large blade to fit the head , so it looked like the red fury heads today. I can say one thing they would cut a hole in a deer hide and flew like a field point. If you look close in the pic this doe has part of her rear leg missing at the knee joint . She was facing me and when she put her head down I let fly, the arrow zipped thru her so fast I though I had missed as I saw it hit the ground skipping and scooting on the opposite end of the deer. She ran directly toward me and collapsed about 10 yds from where I was standing. Apparently I didn't know about color film or something [lol] a black and white pic. Thinking back a jennings Model T was a turd of a compound bow but I killed about 10 deer with the thing shooting off a shelf rest and with fingers---- before a top limb broke ---that was a new experience also as splinters and cables flew everywhere.
Attachments
model T doe.jpg
model T doe.jpg (47.08 KiB) Viewed 4214 times
I have climbed and clawed from the pits of merciless persecution and suffered the tortures of the damned ,only to be thrust head first into what can be best described as organized confusion.
whump

Re: model T doe 1975

Postby whump » Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:58 am

This was about 1980, and from the looks of this one I had just either got in or out of the Cole Younger gang. I shot this dink with a 44mag 8 3/8" at about 25yds. I shot about 2 thousand rounds thru this revolver, did a trigger job on it when I first bought it and it was a shooter even with iron sights. I kept changing bullet weights and finally settled on sierra 180gn jacketed hollow points. It was still hard to get bullet expansion but they did better than any other bullet weight I tried on deer; unless I hit bone I would get very little expansion going thru a deer rib cage.I tried 240,s 265,s and the 180,s and just like with arrows the heavier bullets went slower and expanded less.It is hard to burn enough powder in a pistol barrel to get a bullet going fast enough to make it expand in soft tissue, touch one piece of bone and the bullet would break apart with devastating results. I killed several deer with this gun but for some reason I cannot locate the pics---no worry, none of them made the record book they were all small deer, [lol] I did enjoy handgun hunting though because I hunted from the ground and it was an easy walk in and out with a gun in a holster and a small folding wire stool on my side. I eventually made a seat that screwed in a tree with a leg on it. It was a small version of the older style chain on tree stands ,but it was a small padded seat.
Attachments
629 S&W.jpg
629 S&W.jpg (23.66 KiB) Viewed 4212 times
I have climbed and clawed from the pits of merciless persecution and suffered the tortures of the damned ,only to be thrust head first into what can be best described as organized confusion.
whump

Postby whump » Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:04 am

I made the quiver on that T from a shoe heel and metal from a lard can soldered together and when I said that was the only deer I had shot from the ground I was talking about with a bow. Thinking back--I went to a lot of trouble sometimes just to save a few bucks on a quiver.
whump

Postby Yohon » Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:12 am

Great stuff wump!!! I think you might have a patent case against great northern quivers....looks like they may have copied of your early version ;)
Welcome to the USSA
Yohon

Postby whump » Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:55 pm

I'm pretty sure that broadhead company came out with the red fury from the pictures I sent them of deer killed with that two big blade M spike. I sent a couple of drawings showing how they needed to make the slot longer for the second big blade along with 5 or six pictures of deer I had killed with the modified head. I never heard anything back from them at all----like kiss our ass or thanks for improving our product ---but then out came the red fury head which was an exact copy of what I sent them. I had no intentions of trying to get part of their booty I was more interested in them producing the head so I could by-em in a six pack instead of wearing out two files a year working on blades and I told them that in the letter. The trouble with their original design was that you had to file the top almost off the second blade to get it to fit in the two pieces that screwed together. They could have at least sent me a free pack [grin] :evil: any way not long after that the replaceable blade broadhead market bloomed like Kudzu and the red fury was just another blade in the wood pile. It was a good head for whitetails and they flew great at compound speeds . I used the spare big blades I had for several years in magnus 1 broadheads, the blades were thicker and held up better going thru a deer. I am pretty sure I still have the screw together bodies somewhere around here.
whump

Postby whump » Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:07 pm

heck--I found a whole one with the filed down blade.
Attachments
spikes 002.jpg
spikes 002.jpg (13.57 KiB) Viewed 4196 times
spikes 001.jpg
spikes 001.jpg (12.61 KiB) Viewed 4196 times
whump

Postby MOUNTER » Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:50 pm

Man that's one hell of a hole..... I've used that same Q2 shot on hogs some with perfect results so far... Some friends tell me I nuts for doin it, but it's been workin so far... Haven't tried it on a deer yet..
Hit a tad high you get spine.. A little lower and it's right through the boiler room... I don't think hogs have a very big no man's land like deer do?
MOUNTER

Postby whump » Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:51 pm

Mounter, I have no idea how all the ---don't shoot frontal and Q2 crap got started and I have even heard people talk that silly mess shooting center fire rifles. Where it came from and who started it I have no idea but it is about the biggest bunch of bunk there has ever been. A broadhead will slide off a bone going at an angle and keep going.. Shooting broadside it hits square on and stops. That huge hole in that doe is where it slid across the shoulder bone and continued on thru the deer.

I will say this, you can shoot anything in the ass or guts and it will run off no matter which way the animal is turned and the key to success with Q2 and frontal shots is to practice them all year before trying to apply the shot during season.

I shot this goofy rack 9pt one morning in a fog, and at the time I thought he just had the horns on the side I'm holding. He was facing me dead away at 35yds and I was shooting for a neck juncture, hit low and the arrow went in under his right leg. It is the only deer I have ever shot that let out a loud grunt when he was hit. He took off like a cannon shot . I found him about 80yds from impact. When I climbed down about an hour after the shot I found my ramin wood shaft with the broadhead broken off and the arrow shaft did not have one drop of blood on it. I thought maybe I had just hit the leg bone but the blood trail told a different story. When I opened him up the arrow had penetrated the brisket , cut the major arteries going to the heart and had just barely poked a hole out the opposite side of the brisket under his off side fore leg.
Attachments
9pt poa.jpg
9pt poa.jpg (76.82 KiB) Viewed 4177 times
whump

Postby MOUNTER » Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:58 pm

That's a cool lookin buck!!!
I'll admit, I bought into it, until I tried it out of frustration on that hog... I've killed 3 other hogs with that same shot, 1 was spined the other 2 were double lungers that went about 50 yards. I hate to think back on all the deer that walked, because they wouldn't turn broadside. A few were pretty nice bucks.... I did try my 1st frontal shot this year after listening to you guys. Worked like a charm on a young doe that went about 60 yards! :D
MOUNTER

Postby whump » Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:55 pm

it's like any other shot---if you set up a target and practice shooting it , it works like a charm. Well you already have some meat in the freezer shooting it so your checklist is done. I am glad you posted the picture of the hog, that was an interesting shot on Porky .
whump

Return to Board index

Return to Past Hunting Season Photos