Skip to content

Not so old pix

Feel free to post your hunting pictures from years gone by.

Not so old pix

Postby lostaro » Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:46 pm

Still working on my "scanning" abilities with a very old computer. I'll try to get some more photos up soon.
This was from 1995 probably.....the 1st camo Hoyt Radian to come into the shop where I worked. That's a Thunderhead 160 hole in the ribs...ouch!
Attachments
scan pix.jpg
scan pix.jpg (81.28 KiB) Viewed 5421 times
"My goal in life is to try NOT to screw up so bad that they name the screw up after me..."
"Nothing better than a campfire, cold beer and piles of dangerously undercooked meat..."
lostaro

Re: Not so old pix

Postby whump » Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:05 pm

Whump sez---hell yeah bro--that's what I'm talking about. That thunderhead left a door to walk thru.
I have climbed and clawed from the pits of merciless persecution and suffered the tortures of the damned ,only to be thrust head first into what can be best described as organized confusion.
whump

Postby lostaro » Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:07 pm

My 1st deer....12/6/86, 8 degrees that morning. 5yds from a ground blind with a 2018, Premium 1 head from a 47lb Hoyt Reflex Hunter. A moment burned into my brain for sure! Check out the "free" Levi Garrett hat...my Dad chewed that crap all day every day!
1st deer.jpg
1st deer.jpg (72.42 KiB) Viewed 5413 times
"My goal in life is to try NOT to screw up so bad that they name the screw up after me..."
"Nothing better than a campfire, cold beer and piles of dangerously undercooked meat..."
lostaro

Postby whump » Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:25 pm

Don't be too hard on him--I chewed & dipped for 20yrs, and ocassionly rolled my own. we will never forget that first one and how it felt when you walked up to the kill. It takes a pretty good nut to beat it.
I have climbed and clawed from the pits of merciless persecution and suffered the tortures of the damned ,only to be thrust head first into what can be best described as organized confusion.
whump

Postby lostaro » Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:38 pm

1997ish...My biggest bow buck...121" 11pt. Oh so close to P&Y..Ha! Assenheimer 54lbs 2215 w/ Thunderhead 150 2 blade. Hit at 14yds in the "cheek" angling forward thru the liver and into 1 lung as he was leaving town. Only went 150yds or so dumping fluids. A good day. Oh and I'm not as mean as I look in the pic!
11pt.jpg
11pt.jpg (70.82 KiB) Viewed 5405 times
lostaro

Postby lostaro » Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:45 pm

Sorry...but this is fun. 2001? Oddball 7pt I played tag with on the ground for about 10 minutes. At one time he was about 6 FEET away from me behind the deadfall I was sitting in. After lots of grunting, "duck" walking and generally bumbling around he stepped out into the open at...well... a range I'm embarrassed to admit to shooting from but he ended up catching a Bear SuperRazorhead in the armpit. Jumped for joy at that shot.
long shot.jpg
long shot.jpg (91.64 KiB) Viewed 5404 times
lostaro

Postby whump » Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:56 pm

Did you score that 11pt , that is a real nice buck.
whump

Postby lostaro » Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:20 pm

No "official" score. A bud of mine is pretty good at taping them. He got 121"net...close to 130gross but not real even. I have another that hit 117" he is actually a better looking buck. I used to care about antler inches when I had the time and territory to afford such luxury. Now...with 2 kids, a real job and all that goes with it I'm happy to fill the freezer with whatever shows. At some point I realized sitting in a tree for a week passing doe after doe looking for a true monster that may not even exist gets to be a lonely game. Not knocking trophy hunting by any means...I just don't have the places to hunt them that I used to.
lostaro

Postby lostaro » Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:33 pm

Here's that 117" 9pt. 18yds with my Assenheimer a 2215 and Bear S.Razorhead. Nothing but liver...yikes! luckily he went 80yds and crashed.
9pt.jpg
9pt.jpg (51.26 KiB) Viewed 5396 times

This one was with a .54 TC Renegade, so it doesn't reeeally count..... 15feet right below me. Pouring rain. 435grn buffalo bullet ruined his evening. My best by far 152" gross 11" drop...never even seen another deer close to his size...maybe this year???
dtine.jpg
dtine.jpg (23.56 KiB) Viewed 5396 times
lostaro

Postby whump » Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:39 pm

Those are some damn nice deer bro---I shoot whatever shows up ,as you have seen [lol] I enjoy the hunt and I really enjoy the meat so I don't stress over a lot of horns. I did that one season and went deerless letting several deer with horns walk, I just enjoy seeing what the antlers score just for a comparison , it doesn;t matter to me if it is a doe, spike, or a record book deer I love the shot, the track and the meat on the grill. thanks for joining the hunt ---some real nice pics.
whump

Next

Return to Board index

Return to Past Hunting Season Photos