Skip to content

14pt p@y buck ramin wood arrow, Hill Bow 2004

Feel free to post your hunting pictures from years gone by.

14pt p@y buck ramin wood arrow, Hill Bow 2004

Postby whump » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:26 pm

Whump sez: Ok I have seen some really nice bucks posted. I looked at Ginos pics and it looks like he doesn't shoot anything under 200 plus [grin] some of the whitetails posted are something else to see so here is my biggest buck and it was taken here in Alabama. We rarely grow one here on public land that goes over 150 , it just doesn;t happen. So I am real impressed with the deer taken by you fellows. So since 4nolz won't give up a story . Ill bore you with another one. I don't know what we need to do to get him to tell us about the gator.

I had jumped this deer the year before and due to where he was located and bedding I was having trouble figuring out how to hunt him. He was traveling quite a good distance from his bed to an afternoon feeding area so I set up as close to his bed as possible without spooking him to get a shot. His morning travels took him on a totally different loop so it was evening or nothing. I hunted with a friend of mine on some property about 100miles from my home and we both killed a deer that weekend, he killed a spike and I killed a doe. I told him I would like to rub my clothes on that spike he killed and try and go in there to hunt that buck with the small bucks scent on my clothes, I was hoping I could get that buck to leave his bed before dark so I could get a shot. I took off all my hunting clothes and rubbed them from the rooter to the tooter on that small buck, I spared no elbow grease and tried to get 100% coverage on my clothes. I put my hunting clothes in a garbage bag , sealed them up and rode home in my underwear. The next afternoon I slipped in and climbed to a stand I had installed 3 months before season and it was a windy blustery afternoon. About 5pm the wind calmed down and I was watching the wind string on my bow when the thermal reversed and went straight toward the bucks bedding area. At 5:15 I heard what sounded like a car driving on a flat tire, that buck was coming at a dead run right to the hill top I was set up on. It was real rocky there so he sounded like a horse running on pavement. he topped the hill in front of me and the light was already getting dim, he wasted no time tearing up a small tree , and he was stomping the ground looking for that small buck. Due to my stand height I feel sure after he got in there my scent was going over him as he was walking a semi circle around me stopping to rake his antlers on the bushes. Darkness was falling fast and I lost sight of him for a few seconds, then he appeared about 20yds from my stand and was fixing to drop off the hill out of sight. I drew and shot in one quick motion hitting him quartering away just behind the last rib. He bucked straight up with his hind legs and was literally walking on his front feet with his hind legs over his head, when he let back down he was gone. I sat back down and took a deep breath because that was about as close to dropping a clinker in the stand as I have ever come. I sat in the tree an hour before climbing down and eased out of the area working a bleat call. I returned another hour later with a lantern and found him 80yds from the shot. I had shot completely thru him from back to front with an exit right behind the fore leg and all I hit was the liver, how I shot thru that buck from end to end and only hit the liver and busted the diaphragm I will never know. You will notice in the pic there is no blood in the nose at all and look at the exit--you tell me how that happened.
Attachments
big buck magnus.jpg
big buck magnus.jpg (224.64 KiB) Viewed 4355 times
I have climbed and clawed from the pits of merciless persecution and suffered the tortures of the damned ,only to be thrust head first into what can be best described as organized confusion.
whump

Re: 14pt p@y buck ramin wood arrow, Hill Bow 2004

Postby Yohon » Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:43 am

Thats where them Snuffers shine on a hit like that......dang nice buck and thanks for "boring" us with the story ;)
Welcome to the USSA
Yohon

Postby superkodiak38 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:23 am

Nice !
When you take your kid hunting and he says thank you and tells you how much he loves being in the woods with you, your day just isn't going to get any better than that.
superkodiak38

Postby MOUNTER » Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:53 am

Dam nice one!!! Gotta luv it when a plan comes together!!!
MOUNTER

Postby whump » Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:21 pm

Thanks fellows,I'm glad I got the rest of you posting some kill pics . You have killed some really nice deer + hogs and I enjoyed seeing them, gun,bow, airgun, cool stuff. I am real glad we can share past hunts, information, see some old pics and relive the days gone by. Just like 4nolz said---you get a lot of enjoyment seeing your old friends and family --that kodak moment is a real time machine. Hunt safe ya dirty buggers.
I have climbed and clawed from the pits of merciless persecution and suffered the tortures of the damned ,only to be thrust head first into what can be best described as organized confusion.
whump

Postby lostaro » Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:50 pm

Nice buck...Snuffers are some mean medicine for sure!
"My goal in life is to try NOT to screw up so bad that they name the screw up after me..."
"Nothing better than a campfire, cold beer and piles of dangerously undercooked meat..."
lostaro

Postby whump » Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:22 pm

The doe I killed 2 days before the big boy. I also had a 6pt come in to investigate this doe that was spine shot but I could never get him in the clear to take a shot.
Attachments
poa doe.jpg
poa doe.jpg (56.21 KiB) Viewed 4314 times
whump

Return to Board index

Return to Past Hunting Season Photos