Skip to content

This will be good...

Feel free to post your hunting pictures from years gone by.

Re: This will be good...

Postby Yohon » Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:49 pm

My Dad's 100th deer with a bow and it was his 1st P&Y buck....real symmetrical 8 point that scored 130. He shot it in his bed at 30 yards and hit it right in the white patch in his neck. He always said he'd rather be lucky than good.....hit in the jugular, buck didnt go 80 yards. I was glad to be there to gut it and drag it out for him 8-)
Welcome to the USSA
Yohon

Postby lostaro » Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:21 pm

Very cool! 100th deer too...that's awesome. You know what we call those hits around here? A damn good shot!
"My goal in life is to try NOT to screw up so bad that they name the screw up after me..."
"Nothing better than a campfire, cold beer and piles of dangerously undercooked meat..."
lostaro

Postby topcamp » Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:35 pm

would have given a lot to have bow hunted with my dad.................of course i think i'm about as old as your dad was.................back then .........i can remember when the first deer from aberdeen proving grounds where introduced to the shore...............i can remember when my dad got the deer hunting bug, .......but he regarded school to important and getting the damn milking done [by me ]........and me being to young to take me along.............. and he regarded anyone who hunted with a bow to be on the down side of a short plate.........but he did buy me my first bow........a monkey wards static recurve.........with a set of bh.......can't remember what brand......maybe hillbres [sp?]............but back then .........having a bow in the neighbor hood i lived in made me an oddball for sure............what little i tried was self taught..............
the more we know about the " how " and the " why " of..........the less we see and notice about the " now " of the " when "...
_tc...on the inflation of life

on that day.......you wake up and never more what was .......will ever be again.
_tc on growing old
topcamp

Postby whump » Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:18 pm

TC that down side of the short plate was most peoples opinion of bow hunters , especially in the south during the 50,s and 60,s . That wasn't just where you lived ,that was a wide spread idea. I hunted a few management areas in the 70,s and I would be the only person there during the archery season, I did run in to one other character on a hunt that was dressed up like Robin hood---no shit--the whole get up. So don't feel too left out about being an odd duck--I always go back to that cat dressed up like RH and I feel real good about my situation back then. Most people thought trying to kill a deer with a bow was nonsense. It caught on , became wide spread and everything changed. Bow hunting got a toe hold up north several years before it caught the imagination down here. It was the early 80,s before It started to get crowded during archery season in the south.

Yohon ,those are some really nice pictures you have of the old days and a whopper of a buck taken by your dad. Thanks for posting them.
I have climbed and clawed from the pits of merciless persecution and suffered the tortures of the damned ,only to be thrust head first into what can be best described as organized confusion.
whump

Postby arrowlauncherdj » Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:24 am

Whump down here in south Bama, even I can remember folks in my childhood club in the late 80's to early 90's totally discriminating and hating the bowhunters... Used to say thats why we didnt see any deer in gun season never thinking it had more to do with that first gun shot of the season than a bow hunter sitting in his tree stand a month early... Like I finally taught my dad who still only gun hunts and used to make those comments... I see deer every day of bow season during daylight hours til mid november after a few rifles pop off. Now I just joke at him, saying to buy a bow if he wants to actually see a deer in daylight hours.
arrowlauncherdj

Postby whump » Sun Jul 22, 2012 1:04 am

I also think it has a lot to do with the number of people in the woods , walking thru , touching everything and scenting up the place. If you walk thru an area that deer are using and you rub up against the limbs, sit on the ground and lean up against a tree every so often, the deer figure out what is going on quick. I am sure gun shots play in to the picture but After seeing how deer react to human odor I would bet that human odor is a factor as much as gun shots that puts them nocturnal . Most gun hunters are un-aware of that because they sit in a shooting house and wait on a deer to graze on a green field. If they do get out and scout they touch everything. I have seen this many times as I watched them walk thru the woods. They reach up and move limbs with their hands, walk thru brush, carry on conversations like they are at the beer joint, stop and sit on the ground and in general leave enough human scent in the woods to scare deer off until next season. They don't work close to deer so they are not aware of the problems human odor will cause. You run in to a few gun hunters that have a good idea of what they need to do but in general they are clueless about scent and not leaving it on everything they come to. Since they work from 100yds away, scent is not their #1 priority. I have also made more than one Bow-hunter mad about doing that same thing. If you hunt with me you don't rub on everything in the woods , you will dodge it, cut it out of the way or you will have to listen to Whumpster bullshit.
I have climbed and clawed from the pits of merciless persecution and suffered the tortures of the damned ,only to be thrust head first into what can be best described as organized confusion.
whump

Postby arrowlauncherdj » Sun Jul 22, 2012 1:29 pm

I dont disagree there at all... There are slobs in every club and I try to do as you do when it comes to scent without doing all the bullshit scentblocker clothes and stuff. I try not tO walk on trails or touch branches as I walk. Mostly I am talking about property my family has that I get first crack at before the guns start blastin
arrowlauncherdj

Previous

Return to Board index

Return to Past Hunting Season Photos