Skip to content

8pt 2001

Feel free to post your hunting pictures from years gone by.

8pt 2001

Postby whump » Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:25 am

Whump sez; Took this shot about 8yds from the tree , it was so windy that day I was having to wait for the wind to blow a pine limb out of the way and it was back and forth until I got a clear shot. That hole up high behind the shoulder is the entrance , a landshark 4bld head came out under the fore leg on the opposite side.That patch of hair gone on the hip is from a very long drag out. I couldn't see but about 15yds max in any direction in the thicket where I was set up . After the shot it looked like I had a lot of arrow sticking out so I was convinced I didn't get very good penetration , I was wrong ,but at the time you look at what is sticking out and make a tracking decision from that. I stayed in the tree for 2.5 hours and had another buck come thru with a broken up rack before I climbed down.

I found good blood right away and the buck had fallen 20yds from my stand and I had not even heard the crash in that wind storm. I was surprised to say the least because I had decided I was in for a long tracking job.I let the air out of both lungs and hit the heart. This is the way I look at waiting------If the deer is dead he aint going anywhere , if he needs more time then you have provided that by staying put.
Attachments
resize 8pt.jpg
resize 8pt.jpg (37.69 KiB) Viewed 2339 times
I have climbed and clawed from the pits of merciless persecution and suffered the tortures of the damned ,only to be thrust head first into what can be best described as organized confusion.
whump

Re: 8pt 2001

Postby superkodiak38 » Sat Jul 14, 2012 2:47 pm

Cool story and a nice buck !
When you take your kid hunting and he says thank you and tells you how much he loves being in the woods with you, your day just isn't going to get any better than that.
superkodiak38

Postby lostaro » Sat Jul 14, 2012 6:52 pm

Cool pics, keep them coming. That is very sound reasoning on waiting time after a shot. I wish I had more patience to wait it out. Too many times I've jump out of the stand and started down the trail just to see the deer getting up and bolting. One would think I'd learn from my mistakes. :oops:
"My goal in life is to try NOT to screw up so bad that they name the screw up after me..."
"Nothing better than a campfire, cold beer and piles of dangerously undercooked meat..."
lostaro

Postby whump » Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:41 pm

Whump sez; well --I will say it is one of the hardest things to do--stay in the tree or in the blind. I usually have a snak bar and a bottle of water so I pass the time sipping and nibbling . Unless I see them fall in sight or hear a crash I wait a minimum of 1hr and it seems like you could paint two houses in that hour waiting.If I see them fall I wait 30 minutes. A running deer is hard to track so getting them back up should be avoided at all costs. When they slow down and saunter or walk ,the blood drops are a lot closer together. I have been in a club or two when I shot a deer late in the afternoon and I would go back to the camp , eat supper and head back with a lantern . Most of the time you will find them within 100yds and that is a lot better than wandering around in the woods all night because you got them back up. A dead lethal hit does not require a wait but I would rather give them a little time than take a chance.

Ok I posted this one upside down-----this was a wheel bow shot Q2 at 45yds. As you can see, ears don't do much on stopping an arrow . A 2512 arrow 70 lb double cam Bear bow with a simmons interscepter head, you should be able to tell by the ears it was a 4bld. I confess, I shot long shots when I was a wheel shooter so --don't judge me monkey ! :roll: Any way, when I dropped the string I heard plop, plop and then whack. Now at the time I had no idea the plop, plop was ear penetration because I was looking around thinking I had shot thru some leaves. This spike came barreling by me with about 12" of arrow sticking out of his back and he turned and hit a thicket right in front of where I had my stand. [ this was going to be one of those nibble , sip and wait tracking jobs, so I sat there for 30 minutes and I decided to get the nibbles out and as I was tearing open the foil pack as quiet as could,, I heard the deer get up in thicket [ damn it man, they can hear a mouse piss on cotton at 100yds]. Now this exactly doubles the distance you have to track and in this case it went 3 fold. I waited 1.5 hrs and climbed down and found where he got up and there was blood everywhere. When he took off running again there was just a spot here and there [ see this sucks the fat one] because if I hadn't got the deer back up he would have been at the 100yd mark. I tracked about another 70yds and saw him laying on a hill side still alive so I decided to sit and wait --he saw me move and took off again. I sit down and wait 30 minutes and walk to where he got up and there was very little blood to follow. Up a hill and about 50yds ,I'm standing on top ,I see him go belly up at the very bottom of a steep hill ,, white side to me about 60yds from where I am standing. Now you add up all these yardages and you can see why waiting "QUIETLY" is very important since he was running away from the truck this entire time.
Attachments
ear shot.jpg
ear shot.jpg (30.6 KiB) Viewed 2323 times
I have climbed and clawed from the pits of merciless persecution and suffered the tortures of the damned ,only to be thrust head first into what can be best described as organized confusion.
whump

Return to Board index

Return to Past Hunting Season Photos