Skip to content

Whats your setup and why?

Re: Whats your setup and why?

Postby PAarcher » Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:30 am

Well, I think I am officially converted to shooting the Firefly for this "tournement". I am now shooting better than I ever have. I stopped at the club on the way home from work this morning and shot my personal best score ever. 240 6x
I think I'm going to have to retire the Stallion for this one.
PAarcher

Postby cst » Sat Jan 19, 2008 5:54 pm

Fine shooting Mike. I told you that you would have to battle me for last, but I think it wont be much of a battle. You bully.
cst

Postby PAarcher » Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:03 pm

Your last score was 247 12X Chris! Don't give me that "Oh, I'll be in contention for last" bit. You did that at Lancaster then proceeded to drill foam in all the right places. I'm on to you buddy!! :lol:
PAarcher

Postby cst » Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:14 pm

:D Well we will see how long I can hold that kinda performance. I have been shooting way over my head about every three days for the last two weeks. I spend a lot of time at normal (216-225) but then I have a really good day. Twice now that has coincided with the days I predetermined as league days. I think I need to stop showing up at the club three hours early for leagues. I am pretty sure I am peaking about 40 minutes before the league shooting starts and then I stink up the place.

As to three D, I shot Sunday and lost two arrows and broke a third. The two lost arrows were shots about thirty five to forty yards and the broken one I have no friggin idea what distance that was. Semi downhill in a creek with a little low rise in between the stake and the critter. Really tough shot. For me. That three D shoot last year was on one of my really good days. I don't think I lost or broke a single arrow that day. Normally I shoot crapass Fall Stalkers ($20 a doz at Dick's) for three D thinking that at worst the shoot will cost me $26. I lost/broke more than that Sunday shooting my good arrows.

Either way Mike you are improving and that is a good thing.
cst

Postby PAarcher » Sat Jan 19, 2008 11:24 pm

Yeah, I fairly well pleased with myself. I won't be happy 'till I'm nocking on Bob and Joes scores though. :mrgreen:

That might take a while though! :shock:
PAarcher

Postby PAarcher » Mon Jan 28, 2008 1:53 am

The Firefly ROCKS!!!!! I shot a 242 tonight which included 1 arrow that completely missed the target! The first time I shot tonight I shot a 235 but I was really feeling it so I shot again after busting balloons for a bit.
I was getting tired for my last 30 and really had to concentrate to keep my shots centered. Man if I can get myself into that zone that I seem to hit during the second 30, right off the bat I'll really be doing something. (not Joe level something, but good for me) My second 30 in my first string and my first 30 of my second string I was feeling really good. They would have scored a 250.
This is some of the best personal improvement I've seen in some time. The firefly almost feels like cheating. If I focus hard on the target and remember to push the bow into the target then all my other mistakes only turn into 4s. Of course the occasional total brain freeze still creeps in now and again, but it is happening less.

242 is my new personal best. I am now officially "average'. :mrgreen:
PAarcher

Postby njstykbow » Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:17 am

Great shooting Mike,

Improvement is the key. Get your confidence in the bow, then watch your scores start to climb. It only takes the elimination of a couple errant shots to take you from 242 to 260.

Joe
njstykbow

Postby PAarcher » Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:37 am

Thanks Joe. My confidence has been seriously lacking since last summer. It's finally starting to return. I know I'll be able to hit 250 before the end of this thing. I just need to clean up a few things and I will get there.
I'm looking forward to the Harrisburg shoot. If I can keep from getting nervous, which I think I can do, I think I will do fairly well.
PAarcher

Postby rwsbow » Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:57 am

I know you been busy with lots of things going on, Mike, but I sure am glad you're shootin better and feeling good about it.
Those are damn good scores..keep it up!!! :)
The reason I support the 2nd Amendment is because I'm too young to die but too old for an ass whoopin' ! 

rwsbow

Postby cst » Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:04 pm

Good shootin Mike. Tuning I think can really help you in more ways than just the obvious. Like Joe said confidence in your equipment can go a long ways. Whenever I start shooting worse I go over to the paper tuner and pump a couple through it. If I don't get good holes I fix the problem. If I do, I go back to shooting knowing that my equipment is in top shape and it is up to me to do my job. That usually cleans me right up. If that don't work, I go home and put my head in a bucket of cold water.
cst

PreviousNext

Return to Board index

Return to '08 league shoot