Skip to content

Whats your setup and why?

Re: Whats your setup and why?

Postby Feral Donkey » Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:37 pm

PAarcher wrote:When I shoot indoors I strive to slow my arrow down to reduce my gap. If I can get close to point on I shoot spots better.

I'm shooting my Stallion (50#) off the shelf with Cabelas SST230 shafts and 140gr points. It seems to be working pretty well as long as I do what I'm supposed to do.
I wanted to shoot my Firefly with the Synerzy limbs set at about 45#. Set it up with a T300 and plunger and I cannot shoot it to save my life! Every damn arrow combo I try to put through it shows up as being too weak. Even my 1916s. I don't know what it is and it has me a bit frustrated. The other problem I have with the fly right now is that whatever I shoot it seems as though my gap is huge making it very hard to be consistant.
I'm sure it's me. It almost always is.

Try 2114s, 2212s, 2016s, and if those are still too weak, try 2213s. My 30.5" 2213s spine out perfectly for my 46# Quinn which I pull 30".
Lord of the Hooligans.

Feral Donkey

Postby PAarcher » Fri Jan 11, 2008 3:29 am

I've gotta try something! I'm going to try to get to LAS today to look at a lb for the wife. Maybe I'll drag along the fly and see if I can try some shafts.
PAarcher

Postby PAarcher » Thu Jan 17, 2008 7:48 pm

Well, I finally got the Firefly all tuned up! It's set up with the short Synerzy limbs set at 48#, a T300 rest and a short DAS plunger. I'm using Easton Epic 500 shafts, 125gr points, wraps and 3" NAP Quickspin ST vanes. I've had to set the nock height all the way up at 3/4" but they are flying very well and punching Xs when I point them in the right direction.

I shot a round with it today. I didn't have much time before I had to go in for some OT so I moved through it pretty quickly. My first 30 rounds were my (as of late) usual dog crap low end mediocre scores. The light switch got switched on for the second 30. :D
I only hope I can keep it on!
PAarcher

Postby njstykbow » Thu Jan 17, 2008 7:57 pm

Mike,

If you're unhappy with that high of a nock point, try increasing your tiller by 1/8" to the positive.

Sounds like you've got a good combination.

Joe
njstykbow

Postby PAarcher » Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:06 pm

Joe,

I'm hesitant to change too much. It's really shooting well. One thing I don't entirely understand with the Firefly is that it shoots high for me, no matter what I'm using. My gap is much larger with this bow even when set up similarly to my Stallion using the same arrows. I wouldn't mind being able to cut that gap in half. Do you thing a tiller change could do that?

I'll tell you what though. When I take my head out of it and just let the shot sequence happen this little bow drills 'em! Aaron, you done good!

Are you coming to Harrisburg to shoot?
PAarcher

Postby cst » Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:10 pm

There is something about that riser. I have the same experience Mike. I have a little trouble going no mind though. That is what I am practicing most anymore.

My fly seems to shoot higher but not a whole lot faster than my gamemaster with the same limbs. Weird. It does shoot the same as the Sheep or Hawk. Or Maybe I am compensating with the Hoyt cause I know it is not on the same level as the other three.

I was accidentally shooting a quarter inch negative on my Fly for about a week when it occured to me that I had not checked the tiller. I quickly moved it to an eigth positive and notice absolutely no freaking difference. I wonder how much tiller really affects your bow. I mean noise is the same, shot feel, performance through the chrono. I dunno.
cst

Postby Hank » Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:28 pm

As soon as I can start shooting again, I want to get the Black Sheep with Flute Glass/Foam limbs set up with some 1913's or 1916's, but may have to slow the bow up to do it. Also going to use one of Roger's vinyl siding rests with the felt pad, I like simple. I like the way Roger thinks regarding equipment and am not looking for doo dads to make up for something I should be doing right in the first place :)

Shot last night a little bit with my trad buddies with my longbow, did ok with a thicker tab, but don't have the accuracy with it. Switched to a thinner tab and really like that relaxed finger feel with it, but after a few shots my finger can't take it yet. I did blow a couple of nocks off some wood arrows last night at 20 yards.

Really am not sold yet on the spruce shafting, just seems more finicky than cedar.
a genetically modified by aliens life form, known as Hank
Hank

Postby PAarcher » Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:36 pm

I still want a Black Sheep.
PAarcher

Postby Hornseeker » Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:33 am

I would like to shoot a sheep some more too. I think I could go up a notch from the Fly with it.. I think if I put a stab on the fly though, It would be about the same...well, almost. The length of the Sheep will help out for sure.

Last night I shot my 3rd 300 round with the fly and sights. The first two were 254's ( I think) and last night I fairly easily shot a 270 17X. My best 300 round yet, but I'm not putting much stock into it because it was with sights!!! If I break 280 with the sights, then I'll be impressed.

Had a good time shooting with a few guys last night. Leo was there, a new guy I've never met, shooting a Gamemaster with like 70# limbs....and my buddy Steve. We had a couple hawks, the fly, that Hoyt and Leo's bow...I cant remember what it is...nice little LB though. My goal...is to shoot with the fly about like the wheelie guys off to my left. Not too far behind now!!

Ernie
It FEELS GOOD to USE WOOD!
Chuck Norris puts the laughter in manslaughter.
Hornseeker

Postby Feral Donkey » Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:12 pm

I have one Black Sheep left for sale. I need to make a set of limb pockets for it, tap the holes, and powdercoat it. The demo one I want to keep as my personal bow. Jimmy has it now.
Lord of the Hooligans.

Feral Donkey

PreviousNext

Return to Board index

Return to '08 league shoot