Skip to content

Hair Brained Idea

This forum is dedicated to exchanging information for the Walk the Talk event.

Hair Brained Idea

Postby badger5149 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:01 pm

Probably not much time for this next WTT comming up but maybe something to think about for future walk the talks. I have a feeling that you guys have allready reached the point with speed that we will soon start to see deminishing results. It would be a shame to see a program such as this peter out because the frontier had been conquered.
What I had in mind was a unique kind of workshop that could be held at walk the talk each year. What the workshop would do is demonstrate at finite levels and at extreme levels using very specific criteria how changes in a bow can affect all the parameters we concern our self with. Thiswould be based on the questions we deal with all the time, some examples:

Building bows for short draws all the way down to 22", and long draws out to 34".
Bows designed for very heavy arrows as opposed to bows designed for very light arrows and everything inbetween.
Demonstrating relationships between stored energy and efficiency
Handshock tests.
Probably many more, but I think this would go a long way toward building a deeper understanding of the bows we build. Several sets of limbs and several risers could be crossed back and forth to do a lot of these tests. It would take a combined effort of different guys pitching in to build portions of the test kit. Any thoughts? Steve
badger5149

Re: Hair Brained Idea

Postby jeffhalfrack » Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:26 pm

Nice!! I'm going to wait for the rv hook ups and showers at camp KIRKL build your own yetti work shop!!! could you imagine the "one time at bow camp" stories!!!! now that would be a trip well worth the money!! JEFF W
jeffhalfrack

Postby BK in TEXAS » Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:51 pm

Good to see you back on here Steve.
I like the idea, even if we only tackle one question/theory at a time.
Hooked on Phonics......Helping kids read gooder since 1970.

http://www.NorthlandGameCalls.com
BK in TEXAS

Postby jwillis » Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:55 am

jeffhalfrack wrote:Nice!! I'm going to wait for the rv hook ups and showers at camp KIRKL build your own yetti work shop!!! could you imagine the "one time at bow camp" stories!!!! now that would be a trip well worth the money!! JEFF W

jeff, there are full RV hook-ups and showers available this year. Send me a PM if you want to reserve an RV campsite. Here is a link with more information...just don't call the phone number there...contact me and I will set it up... http://www.mrvsea.com/camping.htm
My bow making blog is live at... http://www.buildyourownbow.com

Click here to see the Build Your Own Bow Facebook fan page at...http://www.facebook.com/BuildYourOwnBow
jwillis

Postby jwillis » Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:59 am

Steve, the results from those tests would be incredibly valuable...maybe you can organize the first one? ;) Jim
My bow making blog is live at... http://www.buildyourownbow.com

Click here to see the Build Your Own Bow Facebook fan page at...http://www.facebook.com/BuildYourOwnBow
jwillis

Postby Russell S. » Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:57 pm

I think that would be an excellent idea.. I love watching videos and threads of people showing there tricks, i learn a lot from it. I would love to see a workshop put on the by pirates about simple things like trapping that explained benefits and drawbacks. I have faith you guys will continue to build faster bows...
do you look up when some one yells "Duck"?
Russell S.

Postby Kirkll » Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:55 am

you have a good point on approaching dimenishing returns Steve..... the work shop idea would be valuable. the question is... how do we share it with our fellow pirates, and market the product to the general public. ;) the proceeds of course would go towards the cost of the next pirates workshop and expenses.

but..... i think there are still a lot of us here still looking to reach the magic 200 mark. not just with a hod rod either. i'm talking hitting 200 with a bow you can hunt with without wearing safety glasses and too much pucker factor going on. :lol: :lol: :lol:
http://www.bigfootbows.com/
kirk@bigfootbows.com

Only archers are fool enough to want to make a composite with natural materials and man made materials, and then bend it repeatedly...
Kirkll

Postby Hornseeker » Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:07 pm

THat is a great idea Steve, but dont forget, one of the cool things is, you can send a bow in and get good, comparative results, plus, a lot of guys are still in the low to mid 180's and they are going to be working to get faster... And yes, like Kirk says, I'd like to see a good, sound, bow, do 200 fps!! I wonder how Dan's bows are holding up? I have never heard anything bad about the Centaurs....or the whippensticks for that matter, in terms of longevity...

I am hoping to get another 4-6 fps this year..... should be dang fun trying anyhow!

E
It FEELS GOOD to USE WOOD!
Chuck Norris puts the laughter in manslaughter.
Hornseeker

Postby AROMAKR » Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:09 am

I'm new to "Walk the Talk" but I have to wonder is there something magical about 200fps or is it like a dragster trying to shave a tenth of a second off his time, a pinnacle to reach? Is 200fps really needed, isn't stability more important? And are you looking for 200fps with just any arrow weight or you trying to achieve this with 10 or 11 grains per pound? I know I've taken huge animals with bows in the 150-160 range and put the arrow completely through them. Enlighten me!
Bob
AROMAKR

Postby Kirkll » Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:06 am

AROMAKR wrote:I'm new to "Walk the Talk" but I have to wonder is there something magical about 200fps or is it like a dragster trying to shave a tenth of a second off his time, a pinnacle to reach? Is 200fps really needed, isn't stability more important? And are you looking for 200fps with just any arrow weight or you trying to achieve this with 10 or 11 grains per pound? I know I've taken huge animals with bows in the 150-160 range and put the arrow completely through them. Enlighten me!
Bob

lets put it this way Bob,

Think back in your younger days when the guys ran the clubs chasing women looking for that perfect "10". Is there something magical about that perfect 10?
a pinnacle to reach perhaps? Isn't stability more important? are you looking for a woman that weighs 120 pounds? or a long tall one weighing 150? You could find a pretty plain looking woman that could suck the chrome off a bumper hitch easily.... Now i ask you .....is it really necessary to find that magical number?

You can sit back and watch the croud, admire those purdy girls, and dream. Or you can go to the races and watch those 10 second cars all day and enjoy the hell out of it. but until you've built one yourself from scratch, and got behind the wheel, or asked that beauty to dance and inhaled her scent. you'll just never know for sure, will you? ;)

i hope this enlightens you

Welcome to Walk the Talk bro. :D
http://www.bigfootbows.com/
kirk@bigfootbows.com

Only archers are fool enough to want to make a composite with natural materials and man made materials, and then bend it repeatedly...
Kirkll

Next

Return to Board index

Return to Walk the Talk