Skip to content

Can I send a "non-entrant" bow to WTT?

This forum is dedicated to exchanging information for the Walk the Talk event.

Can I send a "non-entrant" bow to WTT?

Postby Jon in Montana » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:50 pm

First off, I am very much a novice bowyer. I need to get a few more bows under my belt before I start messing with power lams and tip wedges - even the thought of it makes my head spin sometimes....

So anyway, my question/request.... Is it possible to send a bow to the next WTT just to get some feedback? I would of course pay postage, and include a return label so the bow could just be given to UPS to be shipped back. I would need a nearby "volunteer" to be responsible for it.

Thoughts? I'd rather bring it in person, but I won't be able to get there. Maybe next year when it's in the northwest ;)
Jon in Montana

Re: Can I send a "non-entrant" bow to WTT?

Postby jwillis » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:05 pm

Sure...we will be glad to have it. I just posted the WTT4 entry information thread, so just follow the directions in that thread. All of the bows are shipping to me and I will be glad to take responsibility for it. You might as well submit the bow for the official WTT testing. We will take photos of it and generate a force-draw curve of it, which might be very useful to you. Plus, you'll get a nice t-shirt and online review as well. If you don't want it tested, that is fine...we'll all be glad to shoot it and evaluate it. There have been several novice bows each year and I personally think that the novice gains the most from WTT, especially if you can attend and see the other bows. It will accellerate your learning curve 100x at least. I am so glad that I went to Ken's the last two years. After the first time, I kept saying on the way home that I will never look at a longbow the same way ever again. :) Jim
My bow making blog is live at... http://www.buildyourownbow.com

Click here to see the Build Your Own Bow Facebook fan page at...http://www.facebook.com/BuildYourOwnBow
jwillis

Postby BK in TEXAS » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:26 pm

jwillis wrote:... I personally think that the novice gains the most from WTT, especially if you can attend and see the other bows.

It will accellerate your learning curve 100x at least.

After the first time, I kept saying on the way home that I will never look at a longbow the same way ever again.

Truer words I haven't heard spoken!

Really, if you can swing the plane ticket, you should come out. Great time & great people.
Hooked on Phonics......Helping kids read gooder since 1970.

http://www.NorthlandGameCalls.com
BK in TEXAS

Postby Kenro » Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:26 am

Jon in Montana wrote:Is it possible to send a bow to the next WTT just to get some feedback?

Jon, I think WTT is all about the feedback and testing of your bow. At least it was when I had it. There really wasnt a "competitive contest" in it. (unless maybe a little side bet er two :lol: ) I really suggest taking up on the oportunity to send in a bow. Right now I believe that the next WTT is in the best possible hands it could be in, and you wont be dissapointed with the feedback that Jim will come up with for you. then you can compare results at the next one when you take the feedback and put it to use. I know WTT is only from year to year but Im telliin ya, they come up fast!!
People used to say that I'd never amount to much but I can always say Ive served as a bad example!
Kenro

Postby Crooked Stic » Sat Jan 16, 2010 6:37 am

I agree with Ken That it is a good way to get feedback to get your design figured out. I sent one in late to ken and he did the testing. Now I have one with a couple of changes to send or bring this year to see if I made a difference.
And there you go Ken remimding us of how the years are flying by---- :cry:
Prez of the Crooked Stic Gang
Crooked Stic

Postby Kirkll » Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:28 am

Jon,

i flew in from the west coast last year, and plan on making the trip again this year if it all possible. like Ken was saying its not so much the compitition, its more about the opportunity to see our group efforts at building a better bow take shape and bear fruit so to speak.

You ever go to a party and run into someone you just connect with meeting for the first time? Well imagine going to an event where everyone shares the same passion in life. in this case Archery, and bow building... it's friggin excellent!!! :D its like walking into a group of family you've known for years, and meeting them for the first time. What a hoot!

although the atmosphere was casual and we had a lot of fun, there is an unbelievable amount of knowlege shared and learned being a part of this.
Even just sending in your bow and watching the buzz on line is outstanding. i would highly recomend being a part of this event. you'll get plenty of feed back.

Kirk
http://www.bigfootbows.com/
kirk@bigfootbows.com

Only archers are fool enough to want to make a composite with natural materials and man made materials, and then bend it repeatedly...
Kirkll

Postby Hornseeker » Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:39 am

I think when Kirk hosts WTT, I might be able to make it over... its still a long ass ways though...

Jon, yep... send a bow... get it tested.. .then next year, you will be able to see if you improved performance or not from the advice you'll hear from Jim and Kirk and all!

Good Luck!!!
It FEELS GOOD to USE WOOD!
Chuck Norris puts the laughter in manslaughter.
Hornseeker

Postby jwillis » Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:17 am

Ernie, if you'll host WTT then everyone will have to come to you...lol. :lol: Jim
My bow making blog is live at... http://www.buildyourownbow.com

Click here to see the Build Your Own Bow Facebook fan page at...http://www.facebook.com/BuildYourOwnBow
jwillis

Return to Board index

Return to Walk the Talk