Skip to content

Gots a question!

This forum is dedicated to exchanging information for the Walk the Talk event.

Gots a question!

Postby VoodooSteve » Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:02 am

I've been a member here for a while now, but I never paid any attention to the walk the talk , well I just saw the numbers posted on the LW, and they are very impressive, but it made me wonder, are you fellas still shooting these bows,? how much do you shoot them? and are they still together?... I'm wondering if they are just dragters, good only for a couple runs, or are they durable as well as fast?.........
I will sail my vessel till the river runs dry, like a bird upon the wind, these waters are my sky, I'll never reach my destination, if I never try, so I will sail my vessel till the river runs dry......
VoodooSteve

Re: Gots a question!

Postby BK in TEXAS » Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:53 am

A little of both. I'll assume you mean the ones shooting 189 & up.

There are only 3 that I know of that aren't shooting anymore. I know 2 of those 3 were experimental bows anyway, and the 3rd bowyer just got a little carried away trapping at the tips & it de-lammed a few months later. There were several that were production bows, including the ACS, the Centaur, Ken's Firestorm, Kirk's Sasquatch, Jared Marinelli's Journeyman & some others too. I have one of Jared's through the swap & it's a great bow BTW.

My entry is still shooting. I reworked the handle a bit because I'd have won the ugly bow contest, and while I've got at least a thousand shots through it it has a small stress crack near the lower tip. So we'll see how much more she has in her, but it's been there a while soooooo....... I got a little carried away with skinny tips (.35") & trapping them too. Next years bow will have tips .1" wider and not trapped the last 3 inches.

I guess bottom line is it's up to the bowyer to decide if he wants to enter a bow that will last the test of time or last through the summer. Ya know?

BK
Hooked on Phonics......Helping kids read gooder since 1970.

http://www.NorthlandGameCalls.com
BK in TEXAS

Postby jwillis » Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:19 pm

I thought that the two bows that I took to WTT this year were completely red-lined, but in hind sight I'm not sure they really were. They both had 5/16" tips with back nocks and aggressive trapping, but they also had tip wedges and overlays which provided support. Kirk has the carbon one so I don't know if it is still shooting. That one seemed like it was at the limit. I still have the glass one and haven't shot it since the event. It's for sale BTW...35#@28, osage handle with brown glass. A real shooter for your missy's Christmas stocking perhaps? Did I mention that it shot 187 fps? Not bad for 35#, but I don't mean to gloat...lol ;) Most of the bows that I remember at the event actually had what I would consider "normal" width--7/16" to 1/2" tips at the nocks. One of the things that impressed me at the shoot-out this year was how fast some of these bows shot with these "normal" width tips versus the "narrow" ones that I took. The thing is...most of the bows with really narrow tips had tip wedge inserts and/or overlays to make the tips thicker...and the tips get stiffer and less working, so the stress becomes concentrated in the working area of the limb. Most of the speed bows seem to blow in the working area of the limb or near the fades for the carbon ones. I think most of the WTT bows could be made with beefier tips and not really lose much performance. JMO. Jim
My bow making blog is live at... http://www.buildyourownbow.com

Click here to see the Build Your Own Bow Facebook fan page at...http://www.facebook.com/BuildYourOwnBow
jwillis

Postby BK in TEXAS » Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:30 pm

jwillis wrote: I think most of the WTT bows could be made with beefier tips and not really lose much performance. JMO. Jim

I believe you are right....to some degree :D Like I said, I'm adding a tenth to mine for longevity. I need to build a shooting machine so I can test more accurately though. This is addicting!!!!! I have 4 bows ready to glue up Saturday :shock:
Hooked on Phonics......Helping kids read gooder since 1970.

http://www.NorthlandGameCalls.com
BK in TEXAS

Postby Hornseeker » Wed Dec 09, 2009 8:28 pm

of the 3 I sent, 2 are still shooting. One went several thousand arrows then blew up?????? WTF? :oops:

ANyhow, one of the hottest bows there was a production bow, that Centaur. UNreal...
It FEELS GOOD to USE WOOD!
Chuck Norris puts the laughter in manslaughter.
Hornseeker

Postby VoodooSteve » Sun Dec 13, 2009 6:31 pm

Yes Jim builds a hellava bow, and is a very nice fella to boot!!.. and Thanks fellas for your honest answers, much appreciated!!
I will sail my vessel till the river runs dry, like a bird upon the wind, these waters are my sky, I'll never reach my destination, if I never try, so I will sail my vessel till the river runs dry......
VoodooSteve

Postby Ibex » Sat Dec 19, 2009 2:40 pm

That's a good question!
Ibex

Postby Kirkll » Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:00 am

All three of mine are still shooting Steve. But i did blow the tip off my T/D Sasquatch after 4000 arrows and several dry fires. but i put new tips on it and she's still going. :D that one is a glass limbed bow that shot 193.7 in the hunting class with a 7.5" brace. :D I haven't tested it with the new tips again.
i'll be interested to see the difference in it. its an inch shorter now, and i used phenolic in the tips this time and added some mass to the overlays.

Jim's carbon bow is still going, and he isn't kidding about those tips being narrow. :shock: :shock:

i think we all figured out these things can perform just as fast with a bit wider tip. a lot of these were doing these incredible speeds with just glass too. And some were doing it at longer brace heights without a hot rod string. ;)

Every bow out there is only going to put up with only so many dry fires before she blows. for that reason, i do not dry fire mine for testing durability. But i would definately sacrifice a few feet per second beefing up my tips in the future. that's where i've had my problems.

I think this whole WTT thing is really good sport Steve. :D It's a whole lot more than building dragsters. Easy for me to say though... all my carbon dragsters blew up in my shop, and never made the trip. :oops: I'm hoping for a bigger turn out this coming year. The get together was outstanding! FD burns a mean chicken too. :lol: :lol: :lol:
http://www.bigfootbows.com/
kirk@bigfootbows.com

Only archers are fool enough to want to make a composite with natural materials and man made materials, and then bend it repeatedly...
Kirkll

Return to Board index

Return to Walk the Talk