Skip to content

Shooting Machine

This forum is dedicated to exchanging information for the Walk the Talk event.

Re: Shooting Machine

Postby Todd Hathaway » Sun Oct 11, 2009 6:59 pm

Hey Ken,

I didn't go on the elk hunt, but my brother said he called in a 6x6 to one of his buddies, who made a great shot, and got their first do-it-yourself bull. They were pretty happy.

I shot a bow at the Muzzy shoot that you made for David Lee Volz. Not the kind of speed I'm used to. I went through a quiver of my arrows and David's, and couldn't hit a single thing. I couldn't believe how fast it was. Then Bryan told me he bought one and got it already which surprised me too. Pretty quick on the production too!

I've been thinking of getting one too. Just out of curiosity, what is the speed difference between your traditional D-Shaped longbow and the whippen stick? I'm a D-shaped kinda fella, but think some speed would serve me well in competition.
Todd Hathaway

Postby Kenro » Sun Oct 11, 2009 8:57 pm

Todd,

Well,, the "D" or "classic" style bow I build isnt really any faster than anything else out there of the same design. Not trying to discourage, just being honest about it. I built one just recently with a carbon back and that one performed a little better. ;) Still not near my hybrid but better. (about 8 -10 fps difference) If its a strung D shape youre looking for but still want a little more oomph behind the arrow I may be able to custom build you something that fits the bill. :)
People used to say that I'd never amount to much but I can always say Ive served as a bad example!
Kenro

Postby Kirkll » Sun Dec 20, 2009 12:00 pm

Wow! Haven't seen this thread for awhile. :D tell me something guys, where can i look at these cameras you are talking about. you have a make and model # i can find on the web? i can see a huge advantage to prototyping different bow designs with a tool like that. :D :D :D

welcome aboard guys! We need to get you involved with this next years event. that would be outstanding to get some high speed film on the top 10 bows. :D :D the even is a great gathering of guys really into this bow building. it was a lot of fun last year. :D

after i saw the effects on the mechanical release vs simulated finger release, it brought questions regarding arrow spine match vs speed coming out of the chrono. Ken, Have you tested this out yet? its got me curious as hell now.
http://www.bigfootbows.com/
kirk@bigfootbows.com

Only archers are fool enough to want to make a composite with natural materials and man made materials, and then bend it repeatedly...
Kirkll

Postby Todd Hathaway » Sun Dec 20, 2009 2:53 pm

The camera is a Casio Exilim EX-F1.

I thought some more about the caliper release vs a finger release, and I bet the difference in speed is negligible. I'm thinking that the speed lost by a string coming off the fingers laterally may be comparable to the speed lost by the arrow hitting the riser due to there being no paradox induced. However, I think that a bow cut past center will have a speed advantage because the arrow will clear the riser more. But this is true for finger release as well, because one can shoot a stiffer spined arrow which conserves the energy of the lateral sting movement by not bending as much.

Bottom line is, I think it all probably all evens out anyway, but it'd be interesting to see some hard data.
Todd Hathaway

Postby Kirkll » Sun Dec 20, 2009 7:07 pm

thankee bro! I'm going to check that camera out.

are you a bowyer? or just a shooter?
http://www.bigfootbows.com/
kirk@bigfootbows.com

Only archers are fool enough to want to make a composite with natural materials and man made materials, and then bend it repeatedly...
Kirkll

Postby Kenro » Sun Dec 20, 2009 7:22 pm

Kirkll wrote:after i saw the effects on the mechanical release vs simulated finger release, it brought questions regarding arrow spine match vs speed coming out of the chrono. Ken, Have you tested this out yet? its got me curious as hell now.

Yeah, its why we took the friction or catch factor of the feathers out of the equation this year (remember bare shafts) because the quill could have some influence if its catching a rug on one bow and not another because of no paradox.
It seems that theres NO perfect situation for a truly 100% perfect result.
People used to say that I'd never amount to much but I can always say Ive served as a bad example!
Kenro

Previous

Return to Board index

Return to Walk the Talk