Skip to content

WTT3 bow photos and FD curves (images on page 3)

This forum is dedicated to exchanging information for the Walk the Talk event.

Re: WTT3 bow photos and FD curves (images on page 3 added May 9)

Postby wantoknow » Mon May 11, 2009 9:44 pm

Well I tried entering the data from Dan S hotrod bow (2nd bow in the list) and I immediately have a problem. It says the brace height is 6" but the first entry with a weight is at 8" and it shows 7" as 0 lbs. Just not getting data that matches what's indicated. If the starting brace height is 6" then the weight should be 6lbs at 7" then if you go 1 inch intervals you end up with only 27" total draw length. There apparently is an additional measurement we're not seeing.
Want To Know
wantoknow

Postby badger5149 » Mon May 11, 2009 10:26 pm

Good call WTK, you are right it does make a little difference. I am assuming he wanted his bow braced at 8" for his own reasons. The last number should have been recoeded as a 1/2" pound and it would have come out with about 2# less stored energy. I think they did some excellent work here and maybe it wouldn't hurt just to refine some of the little glitches. I see the makings of a good book here, some history being made. Steve
badger5149

Postby wantoknow » Tue May 12, 2009 5:47 am

I agree Steve. There has been a lot of hard work done here by people who love to learn and get the most out of a bow. The joy of discovery is a great motivator but small errors will prevent finding those small hidden jewels of truth that will allow getting the most out of a bow. Thanks everyone involved in WTT for all the commitment and work involved.
Want To Know
wantoknow

Postby jwillis » Tue May 12, 2009 8:33 am

Thanks for pointing out the error. Next year we need to mark the wall with actual "AMO" numbers, or build a shooting machine that collects the draw weight data as the bow is drawn and save it directly into the computer. Hopefully we can build a shooting machine with Badger's data collection stuff or buy something like the Easton drawforce system. If the WTT3 data is not useful that will be very disappointing, considering the time and expense invested in these tests. I'm sure that our WTT critics want nothing less and will delight in pointing out our errors, even while they scavenge the secrets we have revealed to the world for free like vultures preying on fresh road kill. Jim
My bow making blog is live at... http://www.buildyourownbow.com

Click here to see the Build Your Own Bow Facebook fan page at...http://www.facebook.com/BuildYourOwnBow
jwillis

Postby wantoknow » Tue May 12, 2009 10:03 am

Jim is there a way to look at the rig used and calculate the actual amo based on the numbers used? I think the numbers are there just hidden for the moment.
Want To Know
wantoknow

Postby jwillis » Tue May 12, 2009 10:24 am

It's probably as simple as moving them back 1/4" or so, except for the last entry. Like others have said, Ken put a collar stop on the rope so the bow could not be drawn past 28" AMO, so the weight at 28" should be correct and the arrow weight matches that. Jim
My bow making blog is live at... http://www.buildyourownbow.com

Click here to see the Build Your Own Bow Facebook fan page at...http://www.facebook.com/BuildYourOwnBow
jwillis

Postby BK in TEXAS » Tue May 12, 2009 10:31 am

BK
Last edited by BK in TEXAS on Tue May 12, 2009 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hooked on Phonics......Helping kids read gooder since 1970.

http://www.NorthlandGameCalls.com
BK in TEXAS

Postby Kenro » Tue May 12, 2009 5:10 pm

The board is marked as actual drawn inches, meaning if you set your brace at 6 3/4 as we did with all the bows, the string will sit static at 6 3/4 mark on the tree before we would start pulling. very simple. :roll: then we pull down to the 7 3/4 stop and give Jim a reading, then the 8 3/4, give Jim a reading and so on .....all the way to the 25 3/4 mark and then the last reading should have only been 1/2 inch.= 26 1/4 from the throat of the grip= 28"AMO. Im guessing we should have made it so the block would stop us at the next full inch for ease for Jim doing the FDC graph. It was set up to make every bow get the exact weight arrow for its draw weight at the 26 1/4.
People used to say that I'd never amount to much but I can always say Ive served as a bad example!
Kenro

Postby wantoknow » Tue May 12, 2009 6:24 pm

Thanks Ken that makes sense. I tried that and was going to suggest that is what was going on. So adding 1 3/4" to the 6 3/4" shows the graph starting at 8 1/2" and going to 28". Here's what turned up on TJ's 66" bow. The chart looks like what I would expect from a 66" bow. Great work guys! Your hard work is producing good data when we get the numbers figured out. Thanks again Jim for all your effort.
Galen
BTW that puts TJ's efficiency at 96.96% DANG THAT'S TOUGH TO BEAT. Good job TJ!
Want To Know
wantoknow

Postby wantoknow » Wed May 13, 2009 8:50 pm

Please check my numbers on these I'm tired and never trust myself. Here's a pic of the results I got on Ken's Carbon Reaper.
If these numbers are correct it looks like it might be your ability to get those limbs timed to perfection that gets the efficiency up so high. The SE/PDF numbers on both TJ's and Ken's are .89+. Any ideas?
Want To Know
wantoknow

PreviousNext

Return to Board index

Return to Walk the Talk