Skip to content

pirate tech rules at WTT

This forum is dedicated to exchanging information for the Walk the Talk event.

pirate tech rules at WTT

Postby jwillis » Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:11 am

Probably the most impressive thing at WTT3 this year was how many first time builders submitted exceptionally fast and good-looking bows. Every one of them said they couldn't have made them so well so early in their bowmaking adventure without reading the tips and techniques shared freely on this site. No doubt, those who were also able to attend the event learned even more and will show even more improvements next year.

Here's the top things I learned at WTT3:
1) A bow doesn't have to be super narrow to be faster.
2) No hand shock comes from perfectly balanced limbs with low mass tips.
3) Perfectly balanced limbs have identical width profiles when the layup is correct.
4) Making your riser handle into an organic shape feels good in the hand.
5) A double carbon bow with too much reflex will flip-flop at brace.
6) The best limb cores are both stiff and light weight.
7) The best bow to shoot is the one with (absolutely) no hand shock and a good handle.

Jim
My bow making blog is live at... http://www.buildyourownbow.com

Click here to see the Build Your Own Bow Facebook fan page at...http://www.facebook.com/BuildYourOwnBow
jwillis

Re: pirate tech rules at WTT

Postby Hornseeker » Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:20 am

How did you determine the "stiff and light" core statement? Just curious....

I feel like limb design/layup is much more important... but that is just my opinion with no testing to support it yet...

E
It FEELS GOOD to USE WOOD!
Chuck Norris puts the laughter in manslaughter.
Hornseeker

Postby Hornseeker » Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:37 am

By the way...what did it look like made the Centaur so fast?? and tell us some about Dan's bows? I 've heard a little about his cores... but what about design?
Hornseeker

Postby Kenro » Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:41 am

DANS BOWS ROCK!!! PERIOD!!
But.... gonna have to ask him cuz I havnt got a clue as to how he did some of the things he did.
People used to say that I'd never amount to much but I can always say Ive served as a bad example!
Kenro

Postby BK in TEXAS » Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:42 am

Hornseeker wrote:By the way...what did it look like made the Centaur so fast?? and tell us some about Dan's bows? I 've heard a little about his cores... but what about design?

I still get confused on a lot of the technical stuff, but I was watching Dan's first bow fire from the side, and his limbs stopped DEAD after the shot. ZERO vibration. That's all I know.

BK
Hooked on Phonics......Helping kids read gooder since 1970.

http://www.NorthlandGameCalls.com
BK in TEXAS

Postby jwillis » Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:50 am

Hornseeker wrote:How did you determine the "stiff and light" core statement? Just curious....

I feel like limb design/layup is much more important... but that is just my opinion with no testing to support it yet...

E

Ernie, I am guessing that based on the performance of TJ's glass bow with all hickory cores. I agree that design/layup is important, but I'm thinking my bows would be a bit faster with better cores. Mine had actionboo back/belly with a cherry core. I know my design/layup is good so I'm looking for more options. I made the statement above based on what I saw at this year's event. I'm not trying to make an absolute or complete list here. I'm sure there are many things I'm taking for granted while writing this list today. Jim
My bow making blog is live at... http://www.buildyourownbow.com

Click here to see the Build Your Own Bow Facebook fan page at...http://www.facebook.com/BuildYourOwnBow
jwillis

Postby Bill Howland » Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:58 am

jwillis wrote:all hickory cores

Are hard to beat! Just be careful on the type of Hickory. Alot of guys like elm, but they are not as stiff as hickory and yes, elm is lighter. BUT, stiffness I feel is more important than over all weight.
"Whenever you get into a row be sure and not shoot too quick. Take time. I've known many a feller slip up for shootin' in a hurry." Wild Bill Hickok February, 1867
Bill Howland

Postby Feral Donkey » Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:51 am

Hornseeker wrote:By the way...what did it look like made the Centaur so fast?? and tell us some about Dan's bows? I 've heard a little about his cores... but what about design?

He used moon rocks, Kriptonite, and some bow soul he made when he extracted duck saliva and mixed it with MEK. ;) I didn't see him drive away when he left. I think he took the flying saucer back home.
Lord of the Hooligans.

Feral Donkey

Postby Hank » Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:18 am

I think his cores were actually made of a couple of scared puppies and 3 really cute kittens.... using the kittens out more towards the tips as they would be lighter.
a genetically modified by aliens life form, known as Hank
Hank

Postby Hornseeker » Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:22 am

I just hope he chimes in now and again in the gallery... obviously has some valuable input and there are a lot of guys that use the gallery to get new ideas and build better, higher performance bows!!

I am just not convinced that core stiffness matters...I guess I can try some hickory or walnut or paduk that is nice and stiff and Very similar in weight to the foam...which is VERY limber... and see... OK..I"ll do that. I'll try and keep all else equal....

E
Hornseeker

Next

Return to Board index

Return to Walk the Talk