Skip to content

some pics

This forum is dedicated to exchanging information for the Walk the Talk event.

Re: some pics

Postby tjdeerslayer37 » Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:51 pm

hey the pic where my bow is on the shooting machine, is about 5 seconds before marc took a sasquatch slap to the face :mrgreen:
Save a tree, shoot a buck

>>------------->
tjdeerslayer37

Postby rwsbow » Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:05 pm

OKI...what is this "Sasquatch slap to the face"? come on,...fess up!!!
The reason I support the 2nd Amendment is because I'm too young to die but too old for an ass whoopin' ! 

rwsbow

Postby Kenro » Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:19 pm

tjdeerslayer37 wrote:hey the pic where my bow is on the shooting machine, is about 5 seconds before marc took a sasquatch slap to the face

:lol: :lol: :lol:
NOW THAT FUNNY!!
I mean...... it is now that hes ok. ;) That actually scared the shit outa me pretty damn good at the time. Last thing I ever want to see is someone get hurt like that or lose an eye.

But anyhow he took it pretty dang good. at least he was after I got him to stop crying in the bathroom when we were getting him fixed up. thought for a second I was going to have to slap him on the other side. :lol:

But seriously, theres a very valuable lesson to be learned with that push pull stringing method. I know its faster and easier and we all do it but dont ever get to confident with the method. Its NOT safe! I was very concerned about that incedent and had it turned out catching him in the eye, I would have ended the event right there! Probably to take him to the emergency room.
People used to say that I'd never amount to much but I can always say Ive served as a bad example!
Kenro

Postby BK in TEXAS » Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:25 pm

Kenro wrote: But seriously, theres a very valuable lesson to be learned with that push pull stringing method. I know its faster and easier and we all do it but dont ever get to confident with the method. Its NOT safe! I was very concerned about that incedent and had it turned out catching him in the eye, I would have ended the event right there! Probably to take him to the emergency room.

Ya man, Marc got lucky. He was about 1/2" from being called 'Ole One Eye
Hooked on Phonics......Helping kids read gooder since 1970.

http://www.NorthlandGameCalls.com
BK in TEXAS

Postby tjdeerslayer37 » Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:28 pm

nah ken he got hit while actually using the stringer!!! the string loop slid off the bottom groove so when he put the top loop on and released pressure on the stringer it snapped back up at him.
Save a tree, shoot a buck

>>------------->
tjdeerslayer37

Postby Kirkll » Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:38 pm

rwsbow wrote:OKI...what is this "Sasquatch slap to the face"? come on,...fess up!!!

Ok... What the deal is that these sasquatch bows were designed for a 8-9" brace. Marc was using longer strings and bringing the brace height down as close to 6 3/4" as possible, and it just wasn't happening. these things just got too much preload, small tips, and radical reflex to hold a string at low brace. we got it down to 7.25" and it held, and it shot great at 7.5 too... but stringing these seriously reflexed skinny tipped bows isn't a casual undertaking. i got slapped myself messing around on Sunday trying to put a speed string on it at 7" in an attempt to smoke TJ's ass... it didn't happen :cry:
http://www.bigfootbows.com/
kirk@bigfootbows.com

Only archers are fool enough to want to make a composite with natural materials and man made materials, and then bend it repeatedly...
Kirkll

Postby Kirkll » Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:47 pm

wow! i got seriously cross posted here....

Ken, i think TJ was right though... that string slipped on the bottom of the limb while using the stringer. it was a delayed reaction when it slipped off....

like i said before, these radical reflex, skinny tipped limbs are seriously preloaded and stringing them requires caution. as well as stringing any bow does... i'm just thankfull he didn't catch it in the eye...
http://www.bigfootbows.com/
kirk@bigfootbows.com

Only archers are fool enough to want to make a composite with natural materials and man made materials, and then bend it repeatedly...
Kirkll

Postby Kenro » Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:50 pm

HE WAS USING THE STRINGER????????
I didnt even know that! I guess my focus was on his face and eye at the time it happened. Ben told me he got some good footage of marcs wound after it happened.
People used to say that I'd never amount to much but I can always say Ive served as a bad example!
Kenro

Postby jwillis » Fri May 01, 2009 7:53 am

I was too busy recording data when Marc got slapped to realize that he was stringing the bows without safety glasses. I've been slapped in my shop enough to always wear safety glasses when handling bows. I pretty much always wear them while shooting now, too. Next year, we can require everyone prepping bows to wear safetly glasses. An eye injury would stop the fun and ruin the event immediately. Jim
My bow making blog is live at... http://www.buildyourownbow.com

Click here to see the Build Your Own Bow Facebook fan page at...http://www.facebook.com/BuildYourOwnBow
jwillis

Postby TJ's Mom » Fri May 01, 2009 1:37 pm

Jim, I think that's a great idea...safety glasses a must! No matter how hard you try to be carefull, you can never predict what might happen. My father lost his eye due to an accident when he was a kid and I've told T how important it is to protect your eyes...Depth perception is diminished once you loose sight in one eye and that would make everything much more difficult! Plus you're right about the event being finished at that point...not much fun when anyone gets hurt!
"Out of clutter, find simplicity. From discord, find harmony. In the middle of difficulty lies oppurtunity."~ Albert Einstein~
TJ's Mom

PreviousNext

Return to Board index

Return to Walk the Talk