Skip to content

pirate in need

This forum is dedicated to exchanging information for the Walk the Talk event.

pirate in need

Postby mike robin » Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:02 am

hey guys as i'm running out of time for the WTT--all my cyphering/rumenating time is over--and it is time for the project to commence!!---here's the need--will one of you guys grind me a set of carbon tip wedges?? i'm willing to trade -pay whatever it takes-i just need them in a coupla weeks-if i'm gonna get this done in time---thanks
mike
chicks dig me
mike robin

Re: pirate in need

Postby Gino Bruno » Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:06 am

what are the specs that you want them ground at?
Gun Control - A theory espoused by some monumentally stupid people; who claim to believe, against all logic and common sense, that a violent predator who ignores the laws prohibiting them from robbing, raping, kidnapping, torturing and killing their fellow human beings will obey a law telling them that they cannot own a gun.
Gino Bruno

Postby Kenro » Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:20 pm

Mike,

Im guessing Ginos gotchya covered but if ya need ...whatever, just let me know.
Im guessing you got something cooking in the old bread box eh? Carbon? is that your same design of last year?
People used to say that I'd never amount to much but I can always say Ive served as a bad example!
Kenro

Postby mike robin » Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:41 pm

gino i was thinking of making them .040 x 6 "[i want about 4" of tip wedge when i'm finished]--i've only experimented w/ tip wedges[boo] once [in my last kids bow]and liked them--does that dimension sound right for a 64"d-shape bow--the hills i've handled had wedges that were under 3"
ken i'm building on the same form-and basic layout and tillering--just trying to tweek a little more out of her w/the wedges--also playing w/ the glass thicknesses--i hope this sob holds together!!cause i want to take this baby out west and kill an elk this sept!!!
and thanks guys---gino and ken----------mike
chicks dig me
mike robin

Postby Kenro » Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:33 pm

Mike,
Hey, as long as were here and in the count down to WTT III I thought this would be a great place to give ya props on something. :) Remember after last years event I was raving about how well I was able to shoot that bow of yours? And remember that I said it was because of that experience with your bow that in time I too was going to develop a hill style bow? Well, my friend that time is here. :D
I just pulled it out of the form yesterday, profiled it this afternoon and put some string grooves in it to make a 64" bow. Threw a string on it and shazam!!!!! it tillered an 1/8" different from 1 limb to the next. It was meant to be 8-)

But now the magic has to happen to it.., so we'll see. At least you wont have the only glass lam strait bow at WTT this year. ;)
Anyhow, thanks for the great experience with your bow last year and it being enough for the push to build this line of bow.
Look forward to seeing what you send us again this year.
People used to say that I'd never amount to much but I can always say Ive served as a bad example!
Kenro

Postby mike robin » Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:16 pm

thanks ken for your kind words--and when i sent the bow out to you last spring i simply wanted to know how it would do and didn't expect it to be the only straight glass bow there--and it was a tough field --i was blown away by the numbers!!i am totally blown away by the wood bow numbers !!i'm also glad i was catalyst to you ,a guy that clearly knows more about bow efficiency than myself--the bows[straight] are forgiving and pointable and fun to shoot-ask hank!!--i've shot a few "fast " pronounced r&d bows and a couple i shot fairly well--but i also felt they gave up some stability for speed--seemed twitchy to me---i hear the whippen stic does not--and thats what research and development will do for a basic concept-not redesigning the wheel -but sqeezing all you can out of it---and i'm sure you'll be bringing game to the wtt and the straight bow design--i can't wait!! blow my doors in!!then tell me how you did it!! i'll be listening!!-- i also like them right between 1/8th" and even

mike
chicks dig me
mike robin

Postby Gino Bruno » Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:45 am

mike- that is awfully thick for carbon tip wedges...... i'd say .030 max but that is just me...... i'll see what i have when i get home. what i was wondering was, what rate of taper did you want? did you want it to start at the end and then taper to zero or did you want it to taper to zero within a certain distance (3" for example)?
Gun Control - A theory espoused by some monumentally stupid people; who claim to believe, against all logic and common sense, that a violent predator who ignores the laws prohibiting them from robbing, raping, kidnapping, torturing and killing their fellow human beings will obey a law telling them that they cannot own a gun.
Gino Bruno

Postby mike robin » Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:34 pm

gino
3"to zero sounds good and .030 would be fine--i was shooting from the hip --ive never used carbon--and tip wedges only once before
thanks--mike
chicks dig me
mike robin

Return to Board index

Return to Walk the Talk