Skip to content

Another claim of grounbreaking speed

This forum is dedicated to exchanging information for the Walk the Talk event.

Another claim of grounbreaking speed

Postby Ibex » Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:42 pm

Only pirates are allowed to paste links to other sites:
http://leatherwall.bowsite.com/TF/lw/th ... CATEGORY=9
Ibex

Re: Another claim of grounbreaking speed

Postby Kenro » Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:48 pm

I guess anythings possible :roll: We must be doing something wrong. :? Looked like a glass skinned bow too....... :?

:lol: OK who wants to invite them??
People used to say that I'd never amount to much but I can always say Ive served as a bad example!
Kenro

Postby str8shooter » Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:42 am

I read about this on a couple of sights now. On one the specs quoted were 256 fps at IBO specs. That's a 30" draw, 70# draw weight, and 350 gr. arrow (5 gr/lb). Don't get me wrong, thats fast but I don't see those specs putting out 209 at 10 gr/lb and 28". I can tell you from testing compounds with heavy arrows a bow with an IBO rating of 300 would be hard pressed to put out 210 at 10 gr/lb and 28".

Only time will tell.

Here's a link to a video I found showing the testing with the IBO specs.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vth_o-aO1O8

Looks like an interesting limb. Static tips. Bet its smooth and quiet.
str8shooter

Postby Gino Bruno » Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:11 am

ken, test your bow at IBO specs...... 250s is about average..... you should be right at or slightly above the 270 mark...... trust me. ;)

str8shooter - we had the compound thing pop up not too long ago so i tested mine off my machine..... at 28" and 10gr/lb i want to say mine shot something like 217 or 219fps..... i have it in my notes somewhere. IBO on mine is 309fps.
Gun Control - A theory espoused by some monumentally stupid people; who claim to believe, against all logic and common sense, that a violent predator who ignores the laws prohibiting them from robbing, raping, kidnapping, torturing and killing their fellow human beings will obey a law telling them that they cannot own a gun.
Gino Bruno

Postby Kenro » Mon Feb 16, 2009 7:36 am

Ahhhh See... I didnt even know what true "IBO" specs were for recurves and long bows. I wouldnt have thought it was the same as for compounds. Makes better sense now. :roll:
People used to say that I'd never amount to much but I can always say Ive served as a bad example!
Kenro

Postby Kirkll » Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:19 am

did you guys listen to that bow shooting IBO weight arrows? :shock: kinda makes you wonder how long it would last.....i remember back in the early late 80's to 90's when they came up with that 5 gpp standard for 3D compitition, and there were bow manufactures that that still wouldn't waranty their bows if you shot less than 6gpp.

those were fun years.....shooting long distances with those ultra light arrows accurately had as much to do with balancing and blue printing your arrows, as it did with form....forgivness in a bow shooting those ultra lights at IBO weights was a dream..... reality was closer to a 1000 arrows a week with zen like concentration to make it to the money....
http://www.bigfootbows.com/
kirk@bigfootbows.com

Only archers are fool enough to want to make a composite with natural materials and man made materials, and then bend it repeatedly...
Kirkll

Postby Gino Bruno » Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:50 am

kirk,
my guess is that the limbs would fair just fine...... the riser would be the weak link...... since i got back from alaska, my metal recurve that i built has been given a steady diet of arrows that are just a tick over the 5gpp mark..... so far, it has shown no signs of problems and that is after literally thousands of arrows at that weight and a string without padded loops.

as far as the noise goes....... go watch the WTT vid again..... they all sound loud to me on film even though i know that they are not. video can give A LOT of false impressions ;) ..... having said that, my metal recurve is not as quiet with the light arrows as it is heavies..... but it still isn't all that loud either.
Gun Control - A theory espoused by some monumentally stupid people; who claim to believe, against all logic and common sense, that a violent predator who ignores the laws prohibiting them from robbing, raping, kidnapping, torturing and killing their fellow human beings will obey a law telling them that they cannot own a gun.
Gino Bruno

Postby str8shooter » Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:59 pm

Sounds about right, Gino. I did some testing with that stuff a couple years ago. Your numbers for a 309 IBO match pretty well with what I got. That's why I'm surprised to see a claim of 209 at 10 gr/lb with an IBO of 256 fps.

Over on the original thread the poster has asked Jim to test it at 28" and 10 gr/lb. Says he'll run it through the same machine and post a video of it. I'd like to see it no matter what the numbers come out to.
str8shooter

Postby Gino Bruno » Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:00 pm

me too...... i'd imagine that it will be in the low to mid 180s at 10gr/lb @28" which is still respectable. 209 would be awesome but something would have to be WAY out of whack from a confirmed IBO speed of mid 250s. i just don't see 209 (or even 192-193) coming from a limb that wide and that conventional looking. having said that, anything is possible.
Gino Bruno

Postby BK in TEXAS » Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:31 am

Here it is. I can't tell if he's pulling past 28" in the first shots, but he's hitting 205 off the fingers. The second set is only 9gpp.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zON5nhWih8

BK
Hooked on Phonics......Helping kids read gooder since 1970.

http://www.NorthlandGameCalls.com
BK in TEXAS

Next

Return to Board index

Return to Walk the Talk