Skip to content

Leatherwall Thread

This forum is dedicated to exchanging information for the Walk the Talk event.

Leatherwall Thread

Postby badger5149 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:27 pm

Did you guys see the leatherwall thread about scientific bow tests? Sounds just like walk the talk with more sofisticated equipment including a high speed vidio camera, Might be worth talking to the guy. Steve
badger5149

Re: Leatherwall Thread

Postby jipp » Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:32 pm

steve i posted a spot in the walk the talk. its a great idea. would be great to get some slow motion shots of ken;s longbow. its very efficient. ken is da man. would be neat to see the limb vibration difference between kens bow and addocks.
wounder if his concave effects the shock wave any.

chris.
To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, be nothing.
jipp

Postby Hornseeker » Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:10 pm

Guys... Rob at Lancaster has made it clear that we can use his high speed cam to video bows.... what other high tech stuff are they offering Steve?

E
It FEELS GOOD to USE WOOD!
Chuck Norris puts the laughter in manslaughter.
Hornseeker

Postby badger5149 » Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:37 pm

I didn't realize it when I first read the post but I believe this may be the response to our walk the talk. I think it will give credibility to the last event held which some have scrutinized. I am all for it. If the guys with the big bucks want to start holding events like this and everyone is invited I say it has to be a good thing. I also think you guys need to give yourself credit for pushing the manufacturers into a long overdo testing program. Steve
badger5149

Postby jwillis » Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:09 pm

Maybe this thread should be moved over to the "Walk the Talk" area? I'm in favor of having WTT at Lancaster's, but we'll need to organize quickly. It will really change things. Does this mean our WTT team going to Lancaster's and testing our submitted bows? Jim
My bow making blog is live at... http://www.buildyourownbow.com

Click here to see the Build Your Own Bow Facebook fan page at...http://www.facebook.com/BuildYourOwnBow
jwillis

Postby stagmitis » Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:35 pm

Here`s a link and a thought guys....http://www.baltimorebowmen.com/

The Baltimore Bowmen Shoot is May 16,17 and 18th and I know some of you guys are trying to make it there..

Well, Lancaster Archery is a little over an hour north so maybe we can somehow set dates in case some want to attend both?........
stagmitis

Postby kcbrown » Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:14 pm

Sure would be cool to see a bunch of differnt bows shot out of the machine and filmed. Sombody pick a day.
kcbrown

Postby Kirkll » Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:56 pm

badger5149 wrote:I didn't realize it when I first read the post but I believe this may be the response to our walk the talk. I think it will give credibility to the last event held which some have scrutinized. I am all for it. If the guys with the big bucks want to start holding events like this and everyone is invited I say it has to be a good thing. I also think you guys need to give yourself credit for pushing the manufacturers into a long overdo testing program. Steve

hey Steve...i'm not really sure how to take this so called "Response" to "Our" walk the talk here....i didn't notice any mention of POA at all there by anyone on that thread......offering motel rooms for the first 8 to sign up, a facility, and high speed video to the general public, "Without taking away from walk the talk" sounds a bit off to me for some reason :? ....

like i mentioned in the WTT thread earlier, i try not to get too involved with the politics on these forums.... but something seems a bit off color to me here....am i missing something? .............Sounds like someone trying to steal our thunder to me....WTF?

Now you guys please straighten me out here if you think i'm all wet....but something smells fishy to me...

What's up with you Jim? sounds like your all ready to mutiny on us here, and jump ship :o WTF? am i off base here?
If Rob was suporting our cause, or not wanting to "take anything away from walk the talk".... why no mention of POA ????
http://www.bigfootbows.com/
kirk@bigfootbows.com

Only archers are fool enough to want to make a composite with natural materials and man made materials, and then bend it repeatedly...
Kirkll

Postby Gino Bruno » Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:22 am

kirk,
i think you are taking this the wrong way....... and really............ asking the wrong people. i'd say get it from the horses mouth and ask rob. you can contact him here or at lancaster...... he is the type of guy who will speak with you personally.

my take on it is, rob was just responding to a thread on the wall telling everyone that if they wanted an unbiased test, that they could use the lancaster facilities at their disposal. he had already offered this to all of us here when we were talking about the high speed cameras and said that he would be happy to host the WTT event there so that all of the bows could also be filmed in ultra slow motion. that was pretty generous as far as i am concerned.

as far as stealing any thunder goes....... the thunder is not really in the WTT event, but in what kind of performance increases that are coming from all of us putting our heads together (though some pretty impressive learning has come from WTT as well).. there is no doubt that there are also a TON of "lurkers" out there that are in this forum all the time and i am even starting to see some pirate ideas on a few pro bows. i have definately seen some pros lurking in here quite often......

i think some people get too hung up on "their idea" or their name not getting mention and take things out of context too quickly..... i am guessing that is the case with rob and not mentioning the WTT even over on the LW..... remember, it is just one thread on one site.

i know this because when i built my metal recurve a few years ago, i mentioned that the DAS was my inspiration on all of the 4 sites that i visited regularly while building the bow (though the geometry was totally different and used my limbs instead of ILF limbs which was the basis for the DAS)....... i did so on every occasion where the project came up. evidently, i didn't mention that it was DAS inspired on ONE of the small sites when i finally posted the pics of the bow in progress........ but........ it was on accident (3 of the other sites definately mentioned the DAS in the threads showing the pics) and i figured that most everyone that visits one of the sites visits the other 3 or atleast another one so everyone that was paying attention to my little project would definately know where the inspiration came from as they had probably read it on one of the other sites.......... not so...... i had a few "select" people bombard me with hate PMs and emails calling me everything but a white man.... but just a few people, most people liked it ;) . it went so far as even telling a few pro-bowyers that a buddy of mine and i were "tooling up" to go into production with these risers even though i had made it very clear that i don't and would not sell bows and this metal riser was no exception..... little did the guys that were spreading the rumors know that i was friends with 2 of those bowyers and that crap got back to me the same day it was spread.

what i am getting at is....... if you have a question or suspiscion about something...... go straight to the source before something like this gets posted and feathers get ruffled for no reason and an innocent situation gets turned into a grudge match.

infact, i'll contact rob myself for you guys.
Gun Control - A theory espoused by some monumentally stupid people; who claim to believe, against all logic and common sense, that a violent predator who ignores the laws prohibiting them from robbing, raping, kidnapping, torturing and killing their fellow human beings will obey a law telling them that they cannot own a gun.
Gino Bruno

Postby Ibex » Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:19 am

I haven't been spending much time lately on line other than work, but this got my attention when Steve mentioned it yesterday.
Kirk, without knowing all the history of these politics, I think you must have a very good nose. I'm turned off by politics as well. Largly due to my lack of skill in that area. I'd much rather spend time wandering the hills.
Based on my simple minded perception of things, it looks like the grass root WTT concept that Mike and I conjured up has the potential in evolving into a very low priced source of R&D for established bow manufacturers. That's all good as far as I'm concerned. Bottom line, the way I see it, when a DAS, Whippen Stick, ACS CX, ect, is layed before the eyes of the public, it will be appealing to another bow manufacturer's ability capitalize on it's superior design elements. That's just human nature. Maybe it will be kinda flattering to see your design being produced in China for an american bow manufacturer. That's all I'm going to say about it. I just think we need to realize where things might be headed. Steve
Ibex

Next

Return to Board index

Return to Walk the Talk