Skip to content

which center serving material to buy?

This forum is dedicated to exchanging information for the Walk the Talk event.

Re: which center serving material to buy?

Postby Kenro » Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:11 am

OK guys, Im glad this one came back to the top but Im still going to do a re edit soon on the subject in the main thread but heres a good start.
Yes the strings for the regular classes WILL still be provided for the formal REGULAR CLASS testing BUT......Rob K of LAS has graciously offered to make up a whole assortment of consistent strings of the same material. ((so the actual strings that are used may be swapped from bow to bow if some of them are close in overall length)). So the string fee or "entry fee" as we were calling it, is going away.,,, or at least being adjusted since I dont have to buy all the extra material and take the time to do this. So thats good news!!! :D I was leaping for joy when Rob K made the offer last week. (still am :D ) So you can now send a shooting string with your bow and OR the hotrod string if you wish to enter your bow in the open class. I'll let you all know of the entry adjustments soon. TRUST ME, I DONT WANT YOUR MONEY (at least not for the event :lol:) THIS IS A GOOD THING!! :D
People used to say that I'd never amount to much but I can always say Ive served as a bad example!
Kenro

Postby Kirkll » Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:44 am

i'm thinking this is a really good thing... i've come to the realization my string building skills are in need of refinement....this damn server of mine is driving me nuts!!! im about ready to give this endless loop stuff up and go back to the twist.... :x
http://www.bigfootbows.com/
kirk@bigfootbows.com

Only archers are fool enough to want to make a composite with natural materials and man made materials, and then bend it repeatedly...
Kirkll

Postby tjdeerslayer37 » Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:20 am

kirk how do you like that string i sent with your bow? besides the middle serving...
Save a tree, shoot a buck

>>------------->
tjdeerslayer37

Postby BK in TEXAS » Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:50 pm

Kirkll wrote:i'm thinking this is a really good thing... i've come to the realization my string building skills are in need of refinement....this damn server of mine is driving me nuts!!! im about ready to give this endless loop stuff up and go back to the twist.... :x

Slightly of topic but...what are you having trouble with? I was just fixin to make a jig from the pics you posted a while ago.

Bobby
Hooked on Phonics......Helping kids read gooder since 1970.

http://www.NorthlandGameCalls.com
BK in TEXAS

Postby Kirkll » Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:57 am

TJ besides the mono center serving , i like it just fine. :D i dont care for the way the mono feels mainly, and when the stuff gets older its only as dependable as one strand. i've had em unravel on me while hunting before too....

BK.... i see all kinds of advantages to the endless string, and that jig i built works great too. i've just got an old string server that is real inconsistant in the tension adjustment dept that i'm fighting... i'll get it down yet.

it took me a half dozen or so flemish strings before i graduated from the primitive look to acceptable. some guys just got a knack for it i guess. usually by the time i'm building a string for a new bow, i'm more concerned with seeing the limbs bending that what the string looks like, and kinda rush through it. ;)

getting the loops together and keeping the over lay serving smooth without looking like a root wad just takes some practice...i'm using braided dacron too.
http://www.bigfootbows.com/
kirk@bigfootbows.com

Only archers are fool enough to want to make a composite with natural materials and man made materials, and then bend it repeatedly...
Kirkll

Postby Hornseeker » Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:50 am

If I start doing endless...which I probably wont cause I just dont see the need... I'll build a jig just like the one that guy has on Doing the Twist...that is a Sweet Jig!!

Kirk..if you are doing endless...you need to invest in a GOOOOOD server... thats where you make your money on an endless...the server...

Ken... so what are the hot rod string rules?? Anything??? or is there a min?

E
It FEELS GOOD to USE WOOD!
Chuck Norris puts the laughter in manslaughter.
Hornseeker

Postby Hornseeker » Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:59 am

I saw the rules Ken...6 strands... 6inches.. Cool.
It FEELS GOOD to USE WOOD!
Chuck Norris puts the laughter in manslaughter.
Hornseeker

Postby jwillis » Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:03 am

I'm pretty much using all flemish now because the endless ones I've used (cheap-a$$ dacron ones from Bingham) are overbuilt and noisy! I was getting TS-plus endless from Jerry Commerford, but I heard that he stopped making strings due to a carpel tunnel problem. Jim
My bow making blog is live at... http://www.buildyourownbow.com

Click here to see the Build Your Own Bow Facebook fan page at...http://www.facebook.com/BuildYourOwnBow
jwillis

Previous

Return to Board index

Return to Walk the Talk